Ex-Pat SMIBS to Alaska Ride 2013 (Planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 6USMC6, Oct 25, 2011.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, I second the trip into Valdez. Hope it's good weather so you can see while you're in Thompson Pass.

And remember, if you go to Seward instead of Homer you take 200mi off there.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    When I first started working the schedule I thought, "hell this will be easy. One afternoon and I am done." Hell no. There is so much to see, precautions to be taken care of etc.

To those folks helping out, if I run across you this summer, I am buying the beer. Your opinions have been thought provoking and definitely helpful.
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll be in Anchorage when your there. Send me a pm and I 'll pass my cell to you. I am supposed to be there 6 May. Movers come Monday, pretty damn excited.
  4. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Have you ever been to Anchorage?
  5. evilman

evilman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    I would like to be considered for the trip,is there more room for 1 more rider?
    I have a few questions!

1, Whoever signed up for the trip what kind of bikes do you guys have?
    2, Is the starting point going to be Ventura California?
    3, What would an approximate average speed be?

I am currently setting up my bike tricking it out for the trip.
  6. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    I'm riding a modified R1200ST, two up. (Clip-ons have been pulled, low bars with Rox Risers; 90/10 tires to start, switching to TKC80s in AK).

Loanstar 2112 is riding an R1200GS.

I'm not sure about everyone else. When I have everyones info, I'll update the first page(s).
  7. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Tracks is from Simi Valley and he is on a 1100GS. I have designed it to meet out easterly friends in Montana for the push into AK/Canada. Our days are designed to be on the shorter side. Because of the reservations being needed, we will need to keep close to the schedule. The days are shorter to allow for us to lose a day due to weather and easily make it up. We are an easy going crew, more of a smell the roses type of ride, not a blast through.
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I 2nd going to Seward and skipping Homer unless its a place you have to see.The road there is straight and boring without a lot to see. Seward is much more fun and lots of things to see like the Exit Glacier. I only run to Homer maybe every 1-2 years.

Generally myself and AKDUC are known to hold gatherings for visiting travelers at Moose's Tooth...:freaky
  9. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    I look forward to see you all at Moose's tooth!

I am going to delve back into the schedule this week!
  10. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    When you get everything straightened out, please PM me me so I know where to make reservations.

The contractor is supposed to start next week. Once that's underway, maybe I can relax a little.
  11. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    My plan is to be done in the next couple of days and make reservations by the end of the week. I am looking at adding a second boat trip. Another short one.
  12. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Roger that,
    Thanks!
  13. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    For those that are thinking about coming along......

Tell your insurance company that you are going through Canada. My company takes 10 days to mail out the international insurance cards. YMMV

Notify your CC companies. International bills tend to be a trigger for fraud.

Have you/are you going to sign up for Medjet?

As we get closer need to discuss what to do incase of emergency. For me I wear my ICE info around my neck on dog tags.
  14. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    The NRA has a program called "Emergency Assistance Plus" that may in fact be MedJet (the logo looks the same). Would you mind PMing me the rates for MedJet so I have something to compare?

My rear, 180/55 R117 Conti Trail Attack walked in the door yesterday. 25% of the tire problem is solved! I have been promised the other 75% by mid May.
  15. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    6, I have not pulled the MedJet trigger, I was going to go through AMA/BMWOA and compare. I will add NRA to the list. If you have the link send it to me and I'll do a comparison and post up.
  16. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Note to self: when you are making changes to an excel spread sheet and it asks if you want to save changes ALWAYS SAY YES. :baldy

I'll get to spend my lunch break importing from ADV into excel, we will see how that goes! :huh
  17. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, Lonestare never been to Alaska. The move has started. I am in Texas with my parents, Thur Colorado Springs for Three days, then to Lander, WY and two days later Calgary. I got your cell, will give you a call in the next couple of days. My C Dub XR will be there late may, it and my Sprint ST 1050 got packed with the movers and am hauling my Tiger 955i and wifes Honda NT700V. Going to ride to top of Pikes Peak while in Colorado.
  18. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Passport came in the mail yesterday :clap. Time to finish the travel plans. Tracks loaned me his camping AK book. I'll be going through that looking for good spots to camp. Well that and the comments from the inmates.
  19. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    How long did it take?

I had to re-sub pix and some documentation for MM. So far it;s been 7 weeks.
  20. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Two weeks, but I had an old passport.