Excited Chick Nicomama takes on Horizons Unlimited Meeting Cambria, CA, and Yosemite

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nicomama, Nov 10, 2011.

1. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    "Nicomama, where in the world have you been for the past year?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well, my dear friends, hugely life-changing events can have that effect on you. They can suck you up. Chew on you for a bit. Sometimes spit you out, or sometimes savor you. Life has done all that to me since you've pulled me onto your screens by way of last October's Oregon ride report...and, I've cherished every moment.

First up, you'll notice that there's no "solo" in this title. Imagine that. It would take someone pretty damn special to kick that fun and independently meaningful title to the curb. As you've all surmised, exploring the world solo was how I was launching myself into realizing some of the biggest dreams of my life.

Yet, there was one huge dream that seemed further from my vision...until Paul Smith came into my life. Then it became crystal clear that "taking on the world" was a dream within reach...and, this time I wouldn't have to leave the kids at home. Yes, you are seeing it here folks. It's time for Nicomama to set a new world record: to be the first family around the world on motorcycles in 2012...

[​IMG]

You are witnessing me in the midst of making the biggest dream of my life happen. And, I'm going to take you loyal readers along for the ride of a lifetime. Here on my latest Rugged Rider blog entry you can enjoy a few backstory tidbits on the beautiful way Paul slipped into my life to help plant the seed for this dream.

It was actually this last summer when I received a call from Mike Dimond, one of my wonderful Rugged Rider customers, that helped encourage me to join the ranks of the round-the-worlders.

"Say, Nicole, my wife Sandy and I are going to be hosting this year's US west coast Horizons Unlimited Traveler's Meeting here in Cambria, California. I would love for you to consider being one of our presenters."

I was flabbergasted, and of course honored to be asked to join a line-up of heavy-hitting adventure riders such as:

Ted Simon ...

[​IMG]

Carla King ...
    [​IMG]

Dr. Greg Frazier ...

[​IMG]

and Peter and Kay Forwood...

[​IMG]

"Mike, I wouldn't miss this for the world!!"

My first Horizons Unlimited Travelers' Meeting. Wow! Now, to explain the significance of being part of the adventure wave of inspiration I must first give you the history of Horizons Unlimited.

Grant and Susan Johnson are an adventuresome couple who have taken their world-riding experience, organizational skills, inspirational story-telling and years of moto-traveling research and have given us a gift, the number one world travel adventure riding website to date...Horizons Unlimited.

When a first date starts like this:

Grant, "What do you want to do with your life?"
    Susan, "Travel."
    Grant, "I want to go around the world on a motorcycle."
    Susan, "Why not."

...then you know you have the makings of a dynamic adventure-loving team. Combine those lust-for-life personalities with a 14 year and 39 countries round-the-world motorcycle adventure and you have travel wisdom that packs a punch!

[​IMG]

You can read how Grant got this new 1986 BMW R80G/S and prepped it for his round-the-world trip here.

It proved to be quite road worthy...

[​IMG]

The Horizons Unlimited website has gotten so popular amongst people planning their adventures and sharing their adventures that Grant and Susan have taken their gift a step further. They have personalized the inspiration by providing travelers' meetings hosted by various Horizons Unlimited supporters all over the world.

At these meetings, you will find all of the presentations of world-class story telling, hands-on training, and support you will need to get going on your next adventure.

The Horizons Unlimited (HU) UK 2011 Traveler's Meeting proved to be the biggest motorcycle traveler's meeting with close to 700 attendees. Now, that's a tent city and a half folks...

[​IMG]

Now, combine this year's HU California venue at Ocean Pines Camp in Cambria, California, along the coast...

[​IMG]

...with the jaw-dropping beauty of Yosemite...

[​IMG]

And, you have the makings of one fun six day adventure ride, Baby!!!

Kick back, relax, and pour yourself a cup of Joe. I'd love for you to come along on my next adventure ride.
  2. Rexsname

Rexsname Wannabe Long distance Rider

Oddometer:
    Have missed you........ Can't wait to read more!

REX
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    C'mon Nicole, that's going to be one awesome adventure :thumb

:lurk
  4. DBrentMiller

DBrentMiller Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer:
    Nicole, I don't recall when you said you were leaving on the RTW trip. I hope to see you at OVEX 2012 before you go. I'm looking forward to catching up with quite a few folks there. .... and of course, doing a little journalistic coverage. Will you be available for another interview?

Brent
  5. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    on board...
  6. pfdavidz

pfdavidz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeay!
  7. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Rex, it's great to be back!

Brent, looks like an early May RTW launch date, so darn, the heartbreaking news is we'll have to miss OX12 in person this year. I say in person, because, we'll have some sort of live feed or some way to show a video loop of our prep and launch in a booth there. Look for Sidecar Safari! Will keep everyone posted on our progress.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

On to the report...

Well, since Paul and I both work for Adventure Motorcycle magazine , I'm the managing editor now (in charge of pulling in all of the fun and exciting adventure content from all over the world) and Paul is the senior editor (puts a little spit polish on the raw emotional adventure stories), we were able to wrangle a new black Yamaha Super Tenere for review testing for the magazine for this trip.

So, we had two lucky guys who got their throttle grips on this bike...Paul, and my ex, Pablo, who helped me pick it up from Yamaha here in LA.

As soon as Pablo and I picked it up for Paul, we jetted on over to the Seal Beach jetty to grab some nice product shots for the review piece. Look for the review by our March issue.

Here is Pablo showing off the new goods...

[​IMG]

He couldn't wait to get his hands on this bike, because he's had his eye on this beaut for months now. Looks like it's going to be the next bike in the stable for Pablo.

While all of this new bike excitement was going on, I was prepping food for my "Dehydrated Food" cooking class I was giving at the HU11 event. Can you believe I packed most of this extra food for the class on my DRZ...

[​IMG]

I have some fun new recipes, my angels, so sit tight for them to pop up when I get to the cooking part of my report. For those of you who have missed details on how I deydrated food for previous adventure rides you can catch up with this post from the beginning of last year's Oregon ride report.

This year you'll notice a few new food items: cooked brown rice and cooked Satay noodles from Trader Joes vacuum packed to last a long time; and "just add water" Krusteaz orange and cranberry muffin mix that was the base for my "Upside-down Pineapple Cake" that I baked in my backpacker's dutch oven for my class. Yeah, Baby!

Here you see the boiling process of sucking out the excess air from the jars of my homemade pesto sauce and yummy oatmeal...

[​IMG]

Then, of course, I had to prep Jack, my bike, with new plastics after my June moto crash. No worries, just a local LA crazed side street accident. I am so lucky to have gotten off with just a broken collar bone. If any of you missed that one you can catch up with photos on my Facebook page. Friend me if we aren't friends yet. You can find me as Nicole Stavro Espinosa.

Jack thanked me for spiffing him back up...

[​IMG]

Paul and I were able to pack all of our 6 day gear and extra food items into the DRZ and Super Tenere loads. This wasn't an easy task, since Paul is used to extra pannier space in his BMW 1200GS, but we did it...

[​IMG]

After my angel, Alana, kissed her kissing stone for me to take on the trip we were able to hit the road...

[​IMG]

I must have done something right for the ol' weather man to send me a nice little gift of perfect weather this October weekend. Fun to include tank tops for an adventure ride. They pack down so much smaller. :evil

Paul and I had a ball cruising up the coast on our way to the HU meet in Cambria, and couldn't resist a nice breather at the Santa Barbara pier...

[​IMG]

In one of my previous ride reports, Paul got such a kick out of seeing me at one of his favorite haunts in the back country of Santa Barbara in the little town of Los Olivos, the Corner House Coffee Shop...

[​IMG]
    So of course, we had to take another leisurely break. I think it's time for an iced coffee and dry Italian salami and cheddar cheese on flatbread sandwich in t-shirt weather...

[​IMG]

We took our time scootin' up the coast to get to Cambria by sunset. We took an inward route through Atascadero to cut back through to the coast on fun twistie Hwy 46.

Before hitting this long highway, we pulled into this Mobile station to gas up and crank out a quick chain lube...

[​IMG]

I had to chat up the manager named Tron whose nice '01 Super Glide Sport FXDX Harley sat off to the side of the station. I was able to extract some awesome "Bikezilla" stories of Tron beating out all the local tricked out sport bikes with his 8th fastest street ridden Harley found in the US. Let me go fact check. Can't verify, so we'll just go with it ; )

[​IMG]

With a lubed chain and full tank we were back on the road, but, not before another stop to say hi to our new Coldstone Creamery friend, sweet Danielle, who whips up the meanest kids size of "all lovin' no oven" this side of the Mississippi...

[​IMG]

My helmet cheek pads sure got squished when I hit those Hwy 46 twisties with a sugar rush. When I couldn't get Paul's attention for my 1 of 1000 photo ops, I pulled over anyway to get this gorgeous expansive view of the coast on film. As you can see, Paul got used to circling back to find me...

[​IMG]

We timed the leisurely coast ride perfectly, and reached Camp Ocean Pines in Cambria on this Thursday evening just at sunset. We were met by lovely hosts Mike and Sandy Dimond and a few of the early bird die hards like Peter and Kay Forwood...

[​IMG]

Throughout the entire weekend, Mike and Sandy made it their mission to make this a super enjoyable HU event. They were tireless as they greeted the presenters and attendees with such gracious approachability and fun banter. Here are Mike and Sandy enjoying a chat with Kay Forwood...

[​IMG]

Paul enjoyed chatting up Kay's other adventurous half, Peter, and started gleaning out the bountiful RTW gems of information that Peter has stored...

[​IMG]

Who wouldn't be drawn in to the tall tales of this adventuresome Australian couple who have ridden this most world traveled vehicle, their '94 Harley Electraglide Classic, 380,000 miles and into all of our 193 countries...

[​IMG]

Other bikes and presenters began to trickle in as we enjoyed the early comraderie before setting up camp...

[​IMG]

Camp Ocean Pines, nestled amongst thirteen acres of Monterey Pine forest that overlooks the ocean shore, turns out to be quite the venue for this year's California HU meet...

[​IMG]

Campers set up quickly to grab the bluff real estate...

[​IMG]

Paul and I followed suit before it got too dark. We grabbed an ocean view spot amongst the vendors...

[​IMG]

We set up camp just in time to take in this gorgeous sunset...

[​IMG]

...before catching up to Grant and Susan who gathered the crew at Cambria's "Main Street Grill" for a meet and greet table-side...

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for the HU11 excitement that rolls in on Friday morning.
  8. brother dan

brother dan Lost in my mind

Oddometer:
    This should be a fun ride and read!~ great to see you back at it Nicole!

Dan
  9. Ks-Rydr

Ks-Rydr from the land of Toto

Oddometer:
    We've missed you Nicole. Wow, it sounds like you've got quite a trip planned.
    I can't wait to see the world through your eyes.
    You know you can count me in, I'll be riding along with you all the way.
    Bill
  10. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    IM sooooooooooooooooooooo happy for Nicole........I cant wait for this new adventure.......Nicole, didnt you crash in that helmet? Im hoping that you got a new one.
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Aboard. As usual. Bring it! :D
  12. alfabc

alfabc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :D

Can't wait to see it all unfold. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Cheers,

Bill
    2001 BMW F650GS
  13. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just think of all the new and exotic places that await you,,,,,,,,,,,and to have disentary in...........Your so lucky!!!!:D
  14. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    congratulations on the new man and the new plan. looking forward to following you RTW trip in 2012. Will it involve side cars? Will you use the bikes you have now? Are the kids stoked about this? Will Pablo be coming along too?

best of luck with everything !!
  15. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    With Mangus & Karlina both safe at home in Esotnia, I need a new RTW fix, so, TAG your it.

. Best of luck &

Let's Roll!!!!!
  16. jazzer

jazzer Lost again... Yeah! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to following you around the world!!:clap
  17. houndawgg

houndawgg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Link says "No Content", can't send friend request :(

Subscribed
  18. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    Gadget Boy/Rick: A big thanks for always standing behind me!!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Brother Dan/Dan: Thanks for the support in seeing me back!
    <o:p></o:p>
    KS-Ryder/Bill: I think I'll need a super huge sidecar to take all my sweet readers along with us. But, the next best thing we're going to do for you guys is form a production company and film it as a family adventure tv series. We are making this happen, as we speak, and are elated about it. Almost finished with the dedicated website for the RTW, so it will get posted in this RR when it's up and running.
    RedDogAlberta/Duane: So fantastic to have you aboard, my dear friend. Better believe I'll BRING IT!!!<o:p></o:p>
    Alfabc/Bill: Thanks for subscribing. Shall I send you some popcorn? :lurk
    TallRob/Rob: Thanks so much for your never-ending enthusiasm, sweet one! Say, let's take this party on over to the LA Moto show once again this year. How does Dec 10th sound to you? Spread the word to all of our LA peeps. Ah, and yes that's the same helmet I crashed in. I have replaced all of the replaceable parts on it, but it's an '07 Arai XD Challenger and they don't make that model anymore. Will be getting a new helmet for my Ural, though. :D

Houndawgg: Come find me on Facebook, my friend, as Nicole Stavro Espinosa!
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________<o:p></o:p>

On to the show folks...
    We woke up Friday morning with a hankering for homemade blueberry pancakes to get my energy up for my presentation later on, so paul found me a nice log slice for my campsite kitchen...

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    I was one happy camper to be able to squeeze in a nice shower before whipping up the batter...<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

Can I tell you how much I LOVE Paul's Optimus Nova multi-fuel stove! It's so miserly with any type of fuel...even gas or petrol as our international friends call it. Just pop a tube in your tank and syphon out your cooking fuel for the day.
    I used Paul's tiny 1 egg non-stick pan for these fat cakes...
    [​IMG]

And, was even able to score a corner of the office frig to keep the butter fresh. Still haven't figured out a moto-camping solution for butter. Backpackers use powdered butter, but I doubt that is very good.

So, I'll just stick to no butter meals with anything away from town and stores for over 2 days...<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

Now, if I had had a griddle I could have made pancakes for all of our vendor neighbors like my new friends at AltRider, Jeremy Lebreton (founder and President of AltRider) and Erik Seymour (dealer liason for AltRider) who came sniffing around when they smelled breakfast cookin'...
    [​IMG]

Just as soon as Jeremy set up the AltRider adorned adventure bikes, the attendees flocked in droves...
    [​IMG]

As an aftermarket accessories manufacturer myself, I was thrilled to be able to pick Jeremy's brain a little on how he got started and how he found such quality manufacturers to dial in on the finer craftsmanship of his adventure accessories.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xkVOdlyf7Ns" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    While the vendors were setting up, Susan Johnson was deligently manning the registration office to keep this wonderful event greased and moving along seemlessly like a well-oiled machine. It also took the time and energy of many devoted volunteers who also thrill in the gathering of over 200 like-minded adventurous go-getters who are out there doing it, and some of which who are in the middle of "doing it" all over the world and have just rolled by to say hi...

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

It was such a kick to watch all of the adventure bikes flood in as each rider and bike had a tale to tell...
    [​IMG]

And because this venue is only 237 miles from Los Angeles, we had a nice amount of vendors show up to tantalize us with their "latest and greatest". Like my new buddy Harold here from Giant Loop...
    [​IMG]

You know how I delight over brilliant design, but I absolutely flip when all three product attributes come into play: functionality, durability and aesthetics. Like in Harold's new waterproof bag that keeps the weight not only balanced and low, but dry to boot...
    [​IMG]

Then on down the way at "Vendor Village" there was of course, Touratech, who showed up in a blaze of glory...
    [​IMG]

And then there was the tiny vendor BMW ; )...

[​IMG]
    Then there was RKA luggage. I'm afraid I didn't have time to stop by their booth, but from the looks of things there was quality abound...
    [​IMG]

But, here was a vendor who stole my heart...Stephen Burns, of Burns Moto...

[​IMG]

Here is a rider who found a need for an electrical product like a USB weatherproof power charger socket, and not only went out and designed it in his spare time, but found a manufacturer to crank them out with quality. And, since then he has added loads of other brilliant products to his growing list of electrical accessories...
    [​IMG]

Here's my little chat with Steve...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AeGEgM5YYaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then came time to catch up with the most important draw to this event, the round-the-world and inspirational adventure riding presenters. Of course, I ran to cozy up to my all time favorite RTW icon and soul-moving author, Ted Simon...
    [​IMG]

Ted's first round-the-world odyssey on his Triumph Tiger ended in 1977 when he was 46...
    [​IMG]

This was a life-changing journey that was documented in Ted's first book Jupiter's Travels and is the best known of all his books. It describes his four-year journey around the world on his Triumph that took him the length of Africa, from Tunis to Capetown, then around South America from the tip of Brazil to the Argentive Pampas, and then from Chile north through Panama to California. Then he found his way to Australia, and then from Singapore overland to Europe through India, Afghanistan, Iran and Turkey.

Jupiter's Travels was a bestseller in the eighties with accolades from the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and the London Times as "the best motorcycle book ever written" and has sold more than 400,000 copies world-wide.<o:p></o:p>
    This book has single-handedly changed lives. Ted has the power to do so with his strength in insight and delivery of "bigger picture" concepts like "humanity as one" and "everyone having the ability to give back in one way or another".

Even Triumph bows down to the accomplishments of Ted when they plaster him on their website as "The Explorer's Explorer"!

Because Ted has this powerful ability to move travelers to see the world with more insight, a non-profit foundation was recently built up around him, The Ted Simon Foundation...

[​IMG]

Ted and the foundation feel that individual explorers have a great role to play in comprehending what is going on in the world, and communicating their observations. These personal observations, in Ted's mind, are at least as useful as any media reporting that's done these days.

"The Foundation was created by a group of people who believe that individuals of good will, moving among foreign cultures and making themselves vulnerable to the beliefs and customs of strangers, have great importance in promoting world understanding, and even more so when they can distill the essence of their experiences into a form that can be absorbed by many."

I am absolutely honored to say that I was asked to join the "Committee of Advisors" to help support the foundation with my contribution to the adventure travel industry. Wow, am I humbled by this. As you can see, the company I keep on this committee has my head spinning over their adventurous accomplishments.

I believe this foundation has the ability to do such good for our movement towards a better tomorrow. One by one, we adventure travelers can get out there and bring humanity together with our vulnerability and openness to the human experience in different cultures. It is so exciting to be part of this. <o:p></o:p>
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________ <o:p></o:p>

Go make another pot, my dear ones, because there are more wonderful presenters I'd love to share with you.<o:p></o:p>
  19. houndawgg

houndawgg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sent friend request= Gerard Morris
    Man, wish this event would have been a little later, I'm gonna be visiting my ol' girlfriend, in San Diego, Thanksgiving week. I would have flipped to see it, even though, I'm gonna be "bikeless" in San Diego. :)
  20. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Hi Nicole...

I have been preaching about "all-fuel" stoves for like 20 years and specially at OXII, diesel, you name it. The MSR requires a different jet for the diesel as I have used when needed. I have no clue where all this wave of JetBoilers came from, besides making many running out of fuel and making exorbitant amounts of money for those manufacturers.

Also at OXII I had mentioned "clarified butter". Since we ourselves have been for 5 years now without refrigeration (yes! I have learned to enjoy hot water sometimes... it is wet!) travelling without a cooler I only use olive oil and other oils (for pancakes as an example!). That is the easy way out, and the healthy way out just as not using any "processed foods" or salt, lime or lemon juice instead for much more flavors and again health. Of course that is just me... Blood pressure caused by the incredible amount of salt in processed food will affect you like a hammer at higher altitudes, and so of course one's riding and reflexes.

Ghee works very well... (smartly though, keeping it in the shade/I would). It sounds pricey, but being clarified you will use much less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not endorsing the brand BTW! :D Just a photo I found for you and others.

Great Show Nicole. :clap

Ara and Spirit