1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Excited Chick Nicomama takes on Horizons Unlimited Meeting Cambria, CA, and Yosemite

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nicomama, Nov 10, 2011.

1. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    BeemerChef/Ara: Yes my friend, you are right. Gratitude should be woven into daily living, and not just saved for once a year on Thanksgiving. Even though I am so grateful for damn good food on that special day ; )

Qwik (can I have your first name): Ah, the name of my morning view at Yosemite is Glacier Point. Good to know. Now, to learn how to rock climb, so I can know that face intimately.

Travelbike/Thorsten: I'm trying to see if we'll be able to make the Germany HU event by the June 7-10 date (it would be a nice bday present to myself with my 6/10 bday).

DBrentMiller/Brent: Thanks for enjoying the Gratitude vid. It's so neat to see the growing number of supporters for the forward thinking website, TED. "Good on you." I just love how the Aussies say that.

Tall Mike: If you liked the time lapse photography in that video than you're going to love the new HDR photography I'm going to start playing with this coming weekend (HDR is "high dynamic range" imaging). Stay tuned for some samples, my friend.

2eddies/Ed: Thank you my dear crazy SOB from Santa Fe. As soon as this ride report is complete, I'll be starting a new one for my RTW. On there, you'll get the skinny as to all of our prep, what we sell, what we store, and how much caution we'll be throwing to the wind!!!

H8chains/Joel: Thank you so much my dear friend for showing your support by coming up to Cambria and HU11 and sitting through both of my presentations. Can't wait to give you another big hug in Death Valley!

RockyDog/Stephen: So good to see you here, my friend. I've missed you. I was doing the same thing on Sunday. Snuggling up to this computer and my ride report with a hot mug of organic coffee from Peru. You see we are lucky to have a coffee shop in the family. Paul's father owns his own coffee shop in London, Ontario, called Hasbeans...

[​IMG]

Thanks Paul Sr., for the last wonderful batch of coffee you sent back down with Paul's daughter Donniel when she went to visit you guys last week. Big hugs!!!!

Tall Mike: Soon I'm going to start digging into the home schooling online curriculum that the kids will be in for our trip. I think Alana may be getting into Greek history and mythology for 5th grade, which will be perfect for us lining up historical digs and the like in Greece, itself. Yes, it's going to be quite an education for all of us.

Tall Rob: Sorry you missed the hack show, but I'm telling you now come out for the Moto Show at the Long Beach Convention Center on Dec 10th, and we can all do lunch after drooling over the bikes.

Arte/Arturo: It is so great to see you here, my friend. You were an inspiration for me last year when you took your daughter riding. It was only a matter of time for me ; )

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

On with the show...

We stayed two nights in Yosemite, which of course wasn't enough time to do the exploring that we really wanted to like going for hikes and cruising around the valley on bicycles. I think I want to take the kids up there for their first time when they open back up after winter. Hopefully, the hack will be done by then and we can take a test run.

Our weather stayed perfect the whole trip, and the heated gear that we brought for tough weather was never used. So, we packed it up and said adios to Yosemite valley that Tuesday morning...

[​IMG]

After we left the valley, we climbed to higher elevations for some incredible and expansive views that I couldn't resist...

[​IMG]

We also passed some breathtaking snow-capped peaks near lakes where I had to grab a shot of Paul on the Super T...

[​IMG]

We enjoyed many hours of scenic riding before finally pulling into Bishop for a pit stop for our bikes and our bellies. Paul had been raving about this fabulous bakery called Shat's that was a must-stop for us in this town...

[​IMG]

Quaint architecture got us in the mood for our summer travels in Europe. Had to get a shot of Paul taking in the sights of this day's freshly baked goodies...

[​IMG]

I just loved how every store owner was getting in the Halloween mood with their festive decorations. After a yummy bold and flavorful cup of coffee with a beautifully flakey chocolate drizzled pastry, we hit the road looking for our Bishop campground...

[​IMG]

All of you die-hard California Advers will recognize this campground as base camp for the White Moutain Research Ride, Brown's Town Campground...

[​IMG]

Once again, our timing was perfect as we set up camp at beautiful sunset time...

[​IMG]

We decided to take advantage of their showers and then hit the town looking for something other than dehydrated food. Since I'm a sucker for sushi, we bellied up to this cute sushi buffet that really wasn't bad at all...

[​IMG]

After having our fill of sushi and bad '80's ballad love songs, we headed on back to camp to stoke up a campfire for a fun fireside chat until Big Aggie called our names.

A great night's sleep, got us packing early for our day ride home through a cute little town called Kernville. Here is another must-stop that was Paul's favorite haunt when heading through this part of the state, Big Blue Bear...

[​IMG]

I just had to grab a shot of lovely owner, Michelle (who owns this wonderful place with her mother) with loyal customer Paul who's been coming here for years...

[​IMG]

Too bad I dove into my incredible hot smoked turkey sandwich on freshly baked rosemary panini bread with pesto and goat cheese before grabbing a shot of it for you guys. Truly to die for.

After getting fueled up, I was ready to find some dirt on these fun trails along Lake Isabella...

[​IMG]

I had a ball scootin' around these scenic trails...

[​IMG]

Paul had done such a fantastic job over picking such a gorgeous route for our way home, especially along jaw-dropping beauty Kern river. I could not wipe the smile off of my face the whole twisty way...

[​IMG]

This was the perfect way to end a wonderful adventure ride filled with inspiring stories and classes at Horizons Unlimited and the remainder of the trip filled with beauty in our own backyard.

But for me, one of the best parts is coming back home to my kids and sharing my adventure with them. Tiny little gifts like hacky sacks from Brown's Campground doesn't hurt for their excitement either...

[​IMG]

Next time I won't have to leave them at home. Yeeha!!!!!!
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Alright! This has to stop at once!!! -24c, that's MINUS 24c here a couple days ago. These campground vistas and sunny sand smiles are NOT FAIR!!! Please convert this report to exploration of potash mines in rural northern Saskatchewan at once so I can feel like I belong and fit in. :D

Seriously... keep it coming of course. The hacienda warms up a couple degrees when I review the goodness.
  3. pdeanery

pdeanery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chef Peter here....

Tried twice to reply to your thread, but have been booted off or timed out..

All the best for your trip.

PM me if you want to ride one of my sidecar rigs, just to see if you get along with it..

Missed you at the sidecar rally in Griffith Park.

Met Beemerchef Ara a few years back on the way back from my firsrt Hu meet in Colorado on a road in southern Utah.

Peter
  4. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    Hi Nicole! Jay from Arkansas here. I'm mighty glad to see this adventure taking place. I'm in for the duration on this ride. If you need anything at while out and about don't hesitate to contact me.
  5. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your support and enthusiasm over my antics. Maybe between all of us we can help so many others climb to the next level. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

ReddogAlberta/Duane: Just for you dear one I'll put on an arctic expedition parka for the next adventure ride to make you feel at home. Never mind the beads of sweat that will be pouring down my face. :evil

Pdeanery/Peter: I am so excited to hear from you my dear chef Peter. You were such a wonderful part of my experience at HU11, and I'm thrilled that you are my neighbor. I just may take you up on that very generous offer of trying your hack.

Speaking of hacks and gratitude, you must treat yourselves to the most delicous ride report I have ever experienced on AdvRider. Here are Matt and Kristen, two adventurous souls who have packed it up to hit the road in a custom gorgeously fabricated 1200gs and sidecar in search of healing and living life experientially after Kristen's brother died. Here they are with Claude, the BMW sidecar fabricator,...

[​IMG]

Here is their sexy rig...

[​IMG]

They are in the midst of their round-the-world living. Matt is working hard to keep their ride report real time. Wow, that is such a gift to us. Just the photography alone will transport you. Such art. Then there are the insightful words that accompany them. Their journey is an inspiration to us all.

Here's to all of the peeps who have left the auditorium!!! I salute you!
  6. TravelBike

TravelBike keep on..... :-)

Oddometer:
    i also follow this one and its great to read your storys, i mean, this is fantastic and everday i look for updates! :clap:clap
    subscribed in all this amazing storys!

thx a lot

keep it coming!
  7. Ks-Rydr

Ks-Rydr from the land of Toto

Oddometer:
  8. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Wow... is all I can say right now!!! Doug has asked me many times to show up... I will next year! Pleeeeeeeeeeease remind me... if you are not in Mongolia by then!!! Claude is a good Friend of mine! I remember him stopping in GA before we left to add some "stuff" to the hack... had his welder and parts all in his truck...
    Talk soon... love it all!!!
    Ara and Spirit
  9. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    REally enjoying you photo's and story--and the vids. That one was really inspirational.

After reading about how you take the time to take good photo's--------stopping, getting off the bike, getting the camera out, taking off your helmet to take a shot.

I do that a lot to get a shot if it's necessary------but find I will pass up a shot sometimes just because I didn't take the time to do that----or it wasn't practical---even tho I never travel in a hurry.

In good weather---I have my camera hanging from a lanyard and stuff it in my jacket pocket. If it's not cold and I have very flexible gloves on I can just stop---pull on the lanyard to get my camera out----and get the shot---without doing anything else, not even taking my gloves off---I get shots I would normally miss. I also do this a lot while riding-----takes practice to be safe of course.

Of course this would only work if you have a pocket camera.

My lanyard also has a disconnect so I can quickly disconnect the lanyard to put the camera on a tripod for a timed shot. This just opened up a whole new world for me when I started doing this.

But----I can't seem to ever take as good as pictures as you capture :D:D:D:D

BigDog
  10. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    I remember going for a ride in a Panther/sidecar rig years ago with a couple of friends. Great memory that.

Also just signed up to the magazine you are involved with. Awesome reading.

Trev.
  11. snowbilly

snowbilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Such fun to read your RR's again! I'm only on page 2, but love it so far.

On the butter question --- I haven't looked lately but we always use plastic tubes (refillable from the bottom). They have slide-on clips that close up the bottom, You just squeeze out the butter, like toothpaste. Unless it's cold outside; then you open the bottom and scrape it out from that end, or warm the tube. Here's one link: http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2 Works great for peanut butter too.

rw
  12. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm delighted to see your reports again Nicole, and grateful for you ability to string words together in such a wonderful way. Reading your reports takes a tiny bit of the sadness out of putting the bikes away for the winter months. Thank you for being you.
  13. snowbilly

snowbilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ooooh! I like that Ural in orange! It's way cool.

On the Luxury Lite cots, we bought one for Suzanne a couple of years ago and she likes it a lot. Only drawbacks are that it can be a bit squeaky and it's pretty hard work getting nthe cross bars inserted - she usually needs my help.

Loving this RR. Sorry I'm two weeks behind! :shog

rw
  14. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    Hope all of you were touched in some way by a small gesture in offering to make your Thanksgiving a special one. Whether it was a smile from a stranger, an inch lower with your bike around a twisty, the gift of a life from a turkey, or a "pool of gravy" from a famous "Nana".

In addition to those special moments, I was blessed with the gift of watching my daughter Alana so full of passion and joy as she played in a soccer tournament with her team the "Turkinators". She took some pretty hard hits as goal keeper, and had fun swatting them away...

[​IMG]

In addition to that, I'd like to thank Ozarkrider/Jay: It's so great to see you here my long lost friend. It's very sweet of you to catch up with me. Thank you for the kind offer if I ever need anything on the road.

Travelbike/Thorsten: I just knew others would flip over Matt and Kristen's ride report about them going around the world on their BMW hack! Thanks for putting me in great company with them ; )

KS-Ryder/Bill: Thank you for the support on my ride reports, Bill. I hope you were a little stuffed bird like I was on Thanksgiving.

Beemerchef/Ara: Doug's Griffith Park Sidecar Rally will not be complete until you and Spirit show up. If I'm back from Mongolia by then you are welcome to stay with us again. That was a very special visit.

BigDog/Mark: So great to see you here again. I so appreciate you stopping by and replying. Yep, I'm with you on sporting an action cam pocket camera around your neck on a lanyard. I do the same thing in addition to my SLR that I pull out when I stop. The one thing about using the pocket cam on the fly is that I can't press the button in my winter gloves. How about you?

DotBond/Trev: Boy, if you could dig up a photo of you in a Panther/sidecar rig I would so enjoy that. Those are some beautiful hacks! I'm sure they were great memories. What part of the country were you in when that happened?

RWPeebles/Richard: So glad to have you aboard, my dear friend. See, Richard and his wife Suzanne have been following me since my Grand Canyon trip two years ago, and have been such supporters that they came to see me in Arizona this last April at Overland Expo 2011...

[​IMG]

I still need to get that report up in the vendor's section. Can't be a ride report, because this last year I didn't ride there. Instead, I shared a booth with Adventure Motorcycle magazine and had to cage it there with all of the booth gack. It was such a blast, though. Got fun video, too.

Tripletreat/Lawrence: Thank you for appreciating my flying fingers that bypass the brain as I type. It comes straight from the heart.

RWPeebles/Richard: Thanks for Suzanne's review on the LuxuryLite cot. Don't suppose those squeeks can be taken care of by WD40? ; )

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Even though the Horizons Unlimited adventure ride is over the effects of it continue to trickle in.

I want to take the time to thank a very special someone. This is someone who takes pride in his job as publisher at Midwest Motorcyclist, and should because I have never met anyone more on top of his communications to his contributors. These are communications that are filled with such warmth that you are overjoyed to be a part of his community. This is Ray Peabody folks, and he has given me the wonderful opportunity of my first column in his publication...

[​IMG]
    Thanks, Ray. I'm looking forward to a fun ride with you and your magazine!
  15. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Hey Nicole. Heres a couple shots of My Favorite views of the Glacier Point Apron.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    you sir have clearly lost your frickin mind :eek1
    wish I had enough screws loose to try that
    looks fun :wink:
  17. nicomama

nicomama Rugged Rider

Oddometer:
    Qwik/Tim: So, I'm looking at the above shot and see you are looking down a vertical face and anchored in. Then I flash back to riding home from jury duty last night lane splitting in crazy LA traffic in high winds and wonder what you and I are trusting? Our abilities? Others' skill level? The Universe delivering us home in one piece? The sleepwalkers would think we were out of our minds, but the rest of us just have smiles on our faces.

Here's to livin' it with adrenalin, with trust, with craziness, with all!
  18. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Do you guys have inclination to attend the Overland expo in May 2012 near Flagstaff Az ?:evil

Will you be rigged & ready by then? If so that would be a good kick off start on your RTW :clap & a great place to end up in 5 or 6 years.

Just wondering :wink:
  19. Phone Guy

Phone Guy Oddometer: 23,626

Oddometer:
    Great report.

I am a subscriber to your Magazine and had the pleasure of meeting Carl Parker in Oregon at the Tynda Rally. He had to take an early departure but we were able to view his Riding China video. You are both very inspiring. Have you thought about adding a Moto Adventure cooking article in your magazine? I'm sure there would be lots of interest.

Sorry for the hijack.

Mike
  20. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Im stealing part f that as a signature. And I LOVE to lane split. On either of my streetable bikes.