Excursions pour la Journee avec Gaston

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gaston Gagne, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Day 2

The bivouac was a nice hotel that was a few blocks from Rally HQ. We really didn't get to take it in because we got there late and left early. We got the next day going by walking to a household in town for breakfast. It was very cool to see the inside of someone's home, and breakfast was delicious.

I offered to take the 250 two stroker to the gas station to get it filled with gas. Honest, that's as far as it was supposed to go, but I ended up spending the day on it. Nice rig.

We had a bike boiling over, so we stopped at a house to ask for some water to top off the radiator and overflow.

[​IMG]

Within a few minutes, we were being treated to frozen and fresh mangos. Drinks were provided as well.

[​IMG]

Infrastructure!

[​IMG]

The other prominent feature of the Toro area is the paraglider action. At any given moment, there are a number of paragliders cruising around in the sky. We left that house and cruised up to the bald mountain where they take off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the bald, we cruised around farm tracks of varying widths through coffee, oranges, lemons, bananas. Livestock is everywhere.

[​IMG]

We emerged onto the "highway" and rode downhill to a fancy iron gate, where we were alllowed through. I found this encounter a bit puzzling. Without the proprietor there, we would not have gotten through. Perhaps they called ahead. I'm not sure. The driveway led us to a cool farmhouse with nice, big shade trees.

There was a short, steep descent into a creek, where we picked up some sweet trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone had fallen trees over the trail. End of the line, so we had to double back and head back out to a highway. Then down into town for some drink and snacks.

[​IMG]

There is something to be said for running into town in a pack of dirt bikes. There are so many bikes in this town, the locals don't even bat an eyelash, but they do notice the sweet equipment.

[​IMG]
    knybanjo, OU812, PistonPants and 4 others like this.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Looks like my kind of riding. What a great trip. :thumb

Put me down for next time.
    Gaston Gagne and trespalacios like this.
  3. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    After lollygagging around the Parque Principal for a while, we were informed that there was one more loop on the agenda. I'm guessing that the original plan was to ascend Infierno (Quote Kini: "It makes 30 degrees feel like 50 degrees) to get to the trailhead, but we took a long carretera run up the mountain. Phew!

Left turn onto wooded singletrack with tricky switchbacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of this steeply ascending single track brings you to this church. There is a double track to there, but hauling all those bricks and roof tiles out there must have been some undertaking.

[​IMG]

We crossed the ridge and did some fun up and down tracks through what I assume was sugar cane. Then back across the ridge to descend on a luge course that dumped us out on the carretera.

[​IMG]

Valle del Cauca

[​IMG]

Back in Toro, we pulled into the Punto del Trabuco. Trabuco is similar to egg nog. We crushed the plates of empanadas, chicharrones, and chorizo. Egg nog (OK, two egg nogs) on an 80+ degree afternoon perhaps caused a bit of dyspepsia.

[​IMG]

We loaded up at Rally HQ, thanked the Senora for her hospitality, and drove back to Chilo Dakar Ranch for dinner. :dukegirl

OK, more later. I actually have to do some work here.
  4. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    No Phil. Blow off work! I'm blowing it off reading this ! Its OK!
    GlennR and trespalacios like this.
  5. Chio_Dakar

Chio_Dakar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys are welcome anytime. IMG_20190119_082826_239.jpeg IMG-20190118-WA0046-01.jpeg
  6. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    knybanjo, Chio_Dakar and Gaston Gagne like this.
  7. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down!

Oddometer:
    you bastards!

say hello to Ricardo, Ivan and Jon...
  8. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Chilo. I bent the needle on my fun meter.

If you ever feel the urge to visit the Appalachian Mountains, you are welcome any time.
    Chio_Dakar, 400psi and trespalacios like this.
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    wow :thumb
  10. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Wednesday was a rest day for us. Chilo and Kini got on motorcycle maintenance.

[​IMG]

We got a van ride first to Pereira airport, where one of our party's gear had finally arrived. I forgot to mention that these guys rounded up a pair of boots and a helmet so our companion could join us. We then headed out to the Termales de Santa Rosa de Cabal. It is a really nice hot spring resort. It is surrounded by water pouring off of vertical faces through dense, verdant forest. It was cloudy and quite cool there, so the warm pool felt great. The only downside to this place is the 750 speed bumps you have to cross to get there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We caught a sweet sunset at the top of the grade down into Dos Quebradas on the way back to Chilo Dakar Ranch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    The next morning, we headed right back to Santa Rosa de Cabal. It is less than an hour away, so no rush in the morning.

[​IMG]

The Willys Jeep is iconic in Colombia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll be back here later.

[​IMG]

We went down into the hole in the photo above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We climbed up out of there, ran the ridge for a short time, and then left turn onto banana track.

[​IMG]

At the bottom of this track, we crossed the stream on a bouncy, steel plate suspension bridge. Then we climbed "The World's Longest Driveway," a maybe 2 mile climb on concrete tracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As best as I can recollect, we crossed two high spots. There was a lot of clay on both of them.

[​IMG]

I believe it was the second one we dubbed Montana de Mani de Mantequilla. The steep, muddy uphill dumped us over even steeper, muddier downhill. It brought us over to the province of Chinchina.

[​IMG]

We stopped at a billiards/quoits/soccer facility. The first round of drinks was Maltos. They are pretty heavy to slake your thirst, especially after that workout. Trespalacios talked the proprietors out of some lighter fare.

[​IMG]

Instead of going back over Peanut Butter Mountain, we took the scenic route along "highways." This took us through little patch towns. The kids know enduro bikes when they see them.

[​IMG]
  12. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    A few more turns on car roads brought us back to a house where we had interacted with a guy earlier in the day. The loop is closed and now we're heading back the way we came.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back over to the World's Longest Driveway. Here is where the pavement ends.

[​IMG]

Back over the sketchy, steel plate, bouncy suspension bridge and then up the banana track.

[​IMG]

Over the ridge and down to the creek we rode through earlier. Yee Haw!

[​IMG]

We're baaaack! We were out of the woods and a short pavement section brought us back to the trucks. Nice day!

[​IMG]
    knybanjo, PistonPants, 400psi and 3 others like this.
  13. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    400psi and Gaston Gagne like this.
  14. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Last day of motos in Colombia. We left Chilo Dakar Ranch and headed to Salento, which is a coffee and tourism hot spot about 40 mins from Pereira.

Our professional guides: Juan a.k.a. "Kini," Felipe a.k.a. "Pipe," and Chilo. These guys keep the train rolling and everyone on the tracks. Their English is way better than my Spanish. That is to say nothing of their riding skills. I recommend their service without reservation. I hope to visit them again.

[​IMG]

At 4 degrees latitude, you find shade.

[​IMG]

Another dirt bike invasion of a small, peaceful mountain town. We left town on the Ruta de Camino Nacional. Unlike all the previous courses that we had run, this one was pretty crowded with mountain bikers, hikers, equestrians, and locals. Salento is at a pretty high elevation, and we were climbing steadily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At a certain point, we came to a left turn at a gate. It started off as a double track, but we veered off of that onto single track. The forest is pine and very reminiscent of Brown Mountain.

[​IMG]

This was an out and back. Perhaps it plays through back to the road because mountain bike tours use it for their "extreme downhill" trip. Going back up had some tricky parts. Much of the run up offered multiple alternate routes. Very fun. at 10,000ish feet, I was a tad winded at points. The pines are not natural. The land is leased to a paper company

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"OK, guys. One last track. It's very steep, and there is a big dropoff. It's not bad. Just lock the back brake and go down it." So again, we go through a gate off of the main road, and it's down hill, but then the bottom drops out and it's a yellow clay luge course.

[​IMG]

A dropoff?? More like five or six.

[​IMG]

Super fun riding unlike anywhere I have ever been. I would hate to run into a horse there. Then it was back through town and down the mountain.

[​IMG]

The beans at this place had oxtail in them. :dukegirl . The other soup course was corn soup with a banana. I would have liked to try that one too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salento

[​IMG]

A 9 dollar trout dinner that can't be beat.

[​IMG]

You can see above tree line heights in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to my traveling companions. They were flexible with scheduling and had the requisite sense of adventure. Let's do it again, y'all.
    knybanjo, 400psi, Chio_Dakar and 3 others like this.
  15. Chio_Dakar

Chio_Dakar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeahhhh
    GlennR likes this.
  16. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up the report and pictures, Gaston! That looks like an amazing adventure. Way to make a splash, brother!

Peace
    Piston
    knybanjo, Chio_Dakar and trespalacios like this.
  17. Chio_Dakar

Chio_Dakar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friend, thank you for telling the story of your visit to my house and my tracks. I hope that with this adventure they speak well of my country and that they return with new friends. SEE you
  18. 400psi

400psi Cropdusting

Oddometer:
    Absolutely awesome!
    knybanjo likes this.
  19. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Chio,
    You have a beautiful country and obviously wonderful trails. I'm looking forward to seeing and riding it myself. :thumb
    OU812 and trespalacios like this.
  20. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    You’d love it Glenn. Get a crew together and get a winter break
    red bud, OU812 and GlennR like this.