Excursions pour la Journee avec Gaston

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gaston Gagne, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
  2. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    This was a crazy day. We got rained on a bit, and just when we decided to bag it, the sun came out. When I loaded up, it was dark dark 45 minutes ahead of schedule.

We did get some great rainbow action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride home was white knuckle in nuclear winds and downpours all the way to Morganton.
    Laconic, knybanjo and Dracula like this.
  3. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    torch, 400psi, Laconic and 5 others like this.
  4. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    The Big Hole mountains threw everything they had at us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jwwr, OU812 and JRowland like this.
  5. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    We got run out of here by mosquitos.

[​IMG]

We were riding on chocolate cake this day. After this it was steadily drying out. Oh, don't worry, you can still get around.
    Cuttle, jwwr, OU812 and 2 others like this.
  6. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    There is great bicycling to be had in the Teton River Valley environs. You can't ride a motorcycle there.

38 Special should be called 46 Special.

[​IMG]

Mill Creek madness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shuttle for this raft run involved a 450 KTM.

[​IMG]
    enduro0125, Cuttle, jwwr and 2 others like this.
  7. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Pine Creek Pass, go there every chance you get.

[​IMG]

Big Holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vertigo inducing scenery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    enduro0125, jwwr, OU812 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    We just had to boost over a small snowfield.

[​IMG]

Black Canyon is a nice ride down and brings you into Burns Canyon. Now you are in the dominion of the Snake River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The run up to Dry Canyon. There is a nice spring, but above that, the canyon lives up to its name.

[​IMG]

There are two switchbacks chipped out of what can only be called a cliff band. With a little team work, we worked our way up to where we had been earlier in the day.

[​IMG]
    enduro0125, Cuttle, jwwr and 2 others like this.
  9. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Pine Creek Pass area but on bicycles.

[​IMG]
    enduro0125, jwwr, OU812 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    This day's objective was to meet the ladies over in Calamity Creek. We also wanted to find a connector trail. My host had some work things to take care of in the morning, so this would be an "after work" ride.

[​IMG]

Good news: the trail has been rerouted to eliminate some grunting, huffing, and puffing.

[​IMG]

We picnicked and then headed over to Hilton Creek and then on to what appeared to be the divide between Hilton Creek/Canyon Creek and Burns Canyon. I overcommitted on a downhill but luckily we were able to get right back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This time, we went off of the Burns side, Big Burns if memory serves. This was a high level of commitment because the trail was very steep, loose, and hard to see for the branches. Even when we got to the bottom, the going was somewhat difficult. Definitely in the Cottonmouth Ranger District.

Burns Canyon is very beautiful. We took a crack at climbing Little Burns, but we turned around. It was very rocky, steep, and overgrown. The creek crossings were nasty as well. On the bright side, you could see blue sky at a relative low angle of elevation, so we were probably close to the top.

We ain't going up Dry Canyon again at this hour. "All we need to do" is cruise down Burns Canyon to a trailhead. Even this section had some tough, rocky climbs and sketchy, narrow ledges.

[​IMG]

The Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps are great except that they don't represent much of anything outside of their area. Our best bet was to run Pine Creek Bench back up to Swan Valley and cross Pine Creek Pass (again!) to get back to the truck. Pine Creek Bench passes out of Teton RD into Pallisades RD at some point, so the dotted line just ends. We assume it plays through, and Google maps shows it as well.

It's a great trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We met a nice couple on Betas who assured us that trail goes through. We rode it out to ID 31 and back over the pass.

[​IMG]
  11. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    The day after that, we hiked Green Mountain Trail. The day after that we took in Jackson and South Pass.

Then back to motos!

[​IMG]

I feel bad. I found a cheater route around this peak. My companion came back down and did another run at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the cheater line merging in from below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Garns Mountain. Boo Yeah!

[​IMG]

We'll be back here later.

[​IMG]

If you ever get the chance to run Mahogany Creek back down into the Teton, do it. On a bicycle, the last 2 miles are no brakes/no pedaling 15 mph carving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JRowland, GlennR, OU812 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Rally HQ

[​IMG]

Some more bicycles. We made a return trip to 38 Special.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a couple of weeks, I'm getting tired of looking at the Grand Teton. How do the locals put up with it?

[​IMG]

Mail Cabin Creek-Mike Harris is a sweet bicycle ride. At least on this one, you don't have to see that mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JRowland likes this.
  13. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    So now these guys are developing a plan to ride the boat down Teton Canyon. Over cocktails, YouTube videos and boating websites were consulted. We still had time and energy after Mike Harris, so we conducted some reconnaissance of Teton Canyon. Like the Trabuco in Valle Toro, I slurped down a milk shake from The Emporium in Victor. Then I stood in a hot house at EZ Acres for some produce harvested while you wait. Actually, I harvested the sugar snap peas myself. The milk shake and 95 degree temperatures resulted in some acute dyspepsia. I rallied.

It looks pretty good, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EZ Acres salad.

[​IMG]
    OU812 and JRowland like this.
  14. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very pretty My Friend!;)
  15. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention the part about "I have to be back for a 3 o'clock meeting."

OK, so we found the put in for the Teton. Layla said that she would check out the take out, which is at the site of the Teton Dam. My host had been considering riding in the Caribou Range. The mountains are not as steep or high there, and the MVUM has tons of moto single track depicted. The funny thing is that the guy at EZ Acres had warned us to stay far, far away from Spring Creek. "That's moto heaven." He was a serious bicyclist. He erroneously told us that Spring Creek ran out of the Tetons. No, it runs out of the Caribou Range.

I have to say that this place was great. Whatever these tall flowers were, we were smacking them with our barkbusters and they were exploding.

[​IMG]

Up above here, we had a cool encounter with a Sandhill Crane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KTM riders are saving the Earth's land, air, and water one TDC at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caribou Range, Spring Creek, a good choice. From one ridgetop, we were looking down through Pine Creek Pass ? or maybe through Teton Pass into Victor. It's funny how the world is put together.
    OU812 and JRowland like this.
  16. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    That was Sunday. Monday was kind of slow. I took a huge nap in the afternoon. We got it together for a late afternoon bicycle ride of South Horseshoe and Mahogany Creeks. Remember how I said to do it if you can? Well, I took my own advice. This would be my fourth run of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    popscycle, OU812 and JRowland like this.
  17. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    So we got up on Tuesday morning and got it going pretty early, not knowing exactly what lay between Spring Hollow and Teton Dam. We pushed the boat in the water.

[​IMG]

It's very much like the Salmon: river right has crazy rock formations, and the river left is forested.

[​IMG]

The fishing was pretty good.

[​IMG]

Portage. That was the last we saw of other parties. I think they do it as an overnight trip. We gotta go motorcycling in the morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Far out, man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several fish pulled his flies off the end of his line. By the way, the dog is way into looking at stuff under water. He is the best dog ever.

[​IMG]

We saw an animal swimming across the river. We rowed over for a closer look only to reveal that it's a big, damn rattlesnake. He wants out of the water, and the raft is the nearest dry spot.

[​IMG]

On the one hand, the sun went down over the side of the canyon giving us relief from what seems like three suns. On the other hand, we have been out there many hours. We still have to go get the trailer and return to Teton Dam. On the way into the house, I was looking downhill at the tiny sliver moonset. Stunning. Idaho is great.
    popscycle, red bud, GlennR and 2 others like this.
  18. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Last motorcycle ride in Idaho for this year. We headed out to South Horseshoe and then over to Canyon Creek. 226, altitude and aspect.

[​IMG]

Then another trip up Hilton Creek. $$$$ We found the trail we were looking for last week. This trail starts you dropping down into Burns, so it looked very familiar with the aspen branches to the nose and the back wheel rolling loaf of bread rocks over. I would have sworn we were on the same trail. Avenza maps made it clear that we were not. Yay, Avenza! No cell service needed. Also, the cloud cover portended rain, but we only got a few drops. It was nice not getting my skin peeled off by solar radiation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nyaa nyaa.

[​IMG]

I told you we'd be back here. We did our Garns Mountain route backwards. There was one tough climb. This area was vegetated by sparse grasses a week ago. It almost looked like a strip mine. This day, these little white flowers were everywhere.

[​IMG]

That's it. I almost weep thinking about it. 3 weeks riding, boating, and walking the Big Holes, Tetons and Caribou Range. I am very grateful for the hospitality of our hosts.

The house minus most of the yard sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be careful out there. Be kind.

[​IMG]
    Laconic, popscycle, red bud and 2 others like this.
  19. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    A nice hike, if weird with all the people, in Albion Basin. The crowds turned around and went back the way we came. We made a loop on some lift service roads.

[​IMG]

Sunday, we drove from Salt Lake City to Steamboat Springs. I love that ride on US 40.

Next day, that would be Monday, we drove over Muddy Pass to Grizzly Creek.

I don't know the name of this stream.

[​IMG]

I have to say that all of the reports I read on ADV about Grizzly Helena were accurate, and in true Colorado style, just enough information to "encourage" you. If you have ever paddled in Colorado using Banks and Eckardt's book, you'll know what I mean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One minute, you're on the burning rocks. Next minute, head high ferns.

[​IMG]
    popscycle, JRowland and OU812 like this.
  20. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Did you forget your pogies? We didn't make it all the way to Helena. Another time. We finished out the moto single track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"We'll just take the "road" back and backtrack on 1126 from Lone Pine to Red Canyon. The road is pretty tough and very beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]