Excursions pour la Journee avec Gaston

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gaston Gagne, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
  2. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a hard working fellow. Thanks for your dedication to the cause.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
  4. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Still too early for the rhododendrons at the top. Still a blue ray, high definition kind of day. Lunch at Bob's Dairyland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    popscycle, 400psi, Cuttle and 3 others like this.
  6. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    :wave
    OU812 likes this.
  7. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    :wave
    OU812 likes this.
  8. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    It was like a weekend in the middle of the week. Wednesday evening.

[​IMG]

Thursday morning

[​IMG]

The two trees jumped into the photo right when I had the bug posed.

[​IMG]

There is is a law of sines proof here somewhere whatever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Layla had plans to go to the Cheoah. I met her over there.

McDowell County has some really nice, lightly traveled roads.

[​IMG]

There must be something positive to say about Hendersonville. As a motorcyclist, I can't think of anything. I picked up heinous traffic starting in Bat Cave and didn't get clear until Cedar Mountain. If there is a good way through there, I haven't found it yet. East Fork Road is nice, if a bit rough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plan was to cruise down Cullowhee Mountain and over Ellijay. I got mixed up and ended up doing Pine Creek and Walnut Creek. Very nice roads. The bike was on fumes in Franklin.

[​IMG]

Over to Robbinsville. I had some time, so I went up to Santeetlah Gap.

[​IMG]

I got to Tapoco about 50 minutes ahead of schedule. Just enough time for a run of Deal's Gap. What a scene, but I had decent runs in both directions.

[​IMG]

Layla was already at Tapoco and had ordered a pizza. We retired to the veranda after that. Good times.
    sanjoh, tireatr, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  10. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Yup, gives me pain every time I try to get somewhere over there from here.

Nice pics.
    OU812 likes this.
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

dang don't know how we missed ya we were at tapoco from about 1;30 - 4 give or take yesterday

love the trout nuggets
    OU812 and Laconic like this.
  12. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning seemed a bit grim. I was hanging out with kayakers, and they were excited by the tropical system bringing tons of rain.

[​IMG]

I rode on somewhat dry roads as far as Robbinsville. This one is fun even in the rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many of the mountain roads were carpeted with these red plant parts. I couldn't figure out which tree they were coming from. They're slippery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This seemed like a good sized turtle. About the size you don't fool with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I headed up the Parkway. Mistake. Really cold and foggy. I dodged the rain until Cane Creek, where it was really pouring. I was eating my chips under their awning when two Buncombe County deputies came busting out of nowhere and beelined for my bike. One of them explained that they were looking for a stolen blue street bike. They're looking for stolen motorcycles. That's kind of reassuring.
    sanjoh, OU812, JRowland and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    So we have adopted the two night strategy for traveling to the Colorado Rockies. Also, just avoid Denver. That makes me sad. I used to enjoy checking it out.

We arrived in Buena Vista to 40s and a mix of rain and snow. Not the weather we are used to. However, the next morning the skies were very nice. The rain made conditions in the 4 Mile area really great.

My partner has a stuck valve core. He got it to hold air for the rest of the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day we hit the Buena Vista town trails on bicycles. Buena Vista is Spanish for "Good vista."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day we headed down to the south end of the town trails. There must be no end of potential lines through there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had brought the motorcycles along and headed out into 4 Mile again. We got a tad lost is a maze of sand gulches but ended up coming out where we thought we would. Going back would have been an exercise in desperation.

[​IMG]
  14. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    The next morning, we pulled up stakes because there is duplex in Crested Butte that needs occupying. I ran shuttle for Layla on The Numbers. She made quick work of it as I didn't have time to walk up to 5 1/2 to get her picture before she arrived.

[​IMG]

From there we did a session at Cottonwood Hot Springs. Great place.

The next day a friend from Utah arrived. He has been riding around Crested Butte a few times. We settled on Star Trail. I had been running around out in this area on the DRZ and had been told that Star was probably not a good idea.

We started off under promising skies, but things quickly turned stormy. One of today's takeaways was that hail is better because it bounces off instead of getting you wet.

There were interstices of sunshine, and the damp forest comes alive.

[​IMG]

Take note of the purple cloud on the right. Shit's about to get real again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So maybe the best trail of the trip was Lily Pond. The rock jump ramps abound.
    Laconic, JRowland and OU812 like this.
  15. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    And, oh yeah, Star Trail on the DRZ would have been pretty tough.

After Lily Pond, we worked our way over to Taylor Park to hop on Doctor Park. And bluebird to boot. What fun!

[​IMG]

From there we cruised up Deadman's Gulch and down the other side back to base camp.

4th of July we headed back to Taylor Park. That place is crazy these days.

[​IMG]

Timberline is not quite as tough as Star. We had some intel that there are some high exposure areas, but I didn't feel that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was some "piano moving."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The track is clear to Cottonwood Pass Road. On the other side, it's mayhem.

[​IMG]

It makes for nice views.

[​IMG]

It looks like that Siberia meteorite disaster. A friend once told me that there isn't much energy in sound, but there is a lot of energy in weather. They have the first section cut out, but there is hundreds of hours of chainsawing and clearing to be done to get over to Tin Cup. We turned around.

Crossing Texas Creek was a bit intimidating, especially when people stop what they're doing to watch. We were not turning around. Great day!
    Laconic, OU812, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  16. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    The next day we rode bicycles on the 401. Sure, it's "the trail that everyone rides when they come to Crested Butte," but there is a good reason for that. The following day Layla headed back over to the Arkansas and bagged The Numbers and Brown's Canyon. Everyone else had to work.

I cruised up Cement Creek. My mandated mission was to scout out Waterfall Creek Trail.

[​IMG]

The mountain biking community is impressive. It rained pretty hard Monday afternoon and evening. I was on it by 9:30 and out on the trails by 10:00, and there are already a dozen bicycle tracks on the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys were a font of useful information and friendly. They signed my permission slips.

[​IMG]

Looking down into Taylor River. I opted to not ride down in there. Those fellows recommended Brush Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Laconic, OU812 and JRowland like this.
  17. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    It turns out that the Brush Creek advice was good. Perhaps the second best trail of the trip.

[​IMG]

Going up the Brush Creek side of Block and Tackle presented a few tricky parts in the wet.

Monument plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally made it to the top of Waterfall Creek. "It's the sickest enduro trail out here."

[​IMG]

It is, indeed, a pretty sick trail. Definitely not boring. I'm still looking for a way to get me and my bicycle to the top of it, so I explored Hunter Creek. Killer trail.

[​IMG]

My plan was to run across Double Top and go down Block and Tackle to Cement Creek. Screw it. Let's go back down Waterfall Creek. 2 runs in one day.

[​IMG]

These guys want know when the bicycles roll again.

[​IMG]
  18. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Funny they should ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Another Double Top Day on Thursday. This time we went in from the Brush Creek side. Farris Creek has some serious "engineering" on it.

[​IMG]

They're building a switchback for this climb, but it's not done yet. With a little clutch work, I made it without assistance this time. Fuel injection!

[​IMG]

Double Top delivers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waterfall Creek again ?!?! Two more times, actually.

[​IMG]
    400psi, NCJ, GlennR and 2 others like this.
  20. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    Nice, Phil.