Exhaust coating/paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ColumboNH, Aug 23, 2019.

1. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an exhaust header from a twin cylinder snowmobile engine that I would like to have coated or high temperature painted. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop I could send this to for this job? I’m open to diy ideas too, but the typical bbq paint, etc does not last on this application. Thanks in advance!
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are other high temp paints besides BBQ paint. One I used was same brand as box stores sell and I called the mfg to get a couple cans to paint a SS flue green on my great room stove which was also green. It's been on there since 2004. Play on google for high temp paints.
    edit:
    I may have mis-spoke for a header though as ceramic makes sense.
    Mark G likes this.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    There is no substitute for ceramic coating. I've done both Jet Hot and Aesthetic Finishers in Troy OH. Both did good. I will do Aesthetics on any further work because it was a bit easier to deal with them. Jet Hot has several plants and your parts have to be sent wherever they decide to do it. AF has the plant in Ohio, where I happen to live.

The coating does not corrode as long as the prepped surface has no corrosion. I'm not sure Jet Hot sufficiently cleaned the megaphone for my pipe and it got rust bubbles under the coating. That is why the parts went to Aesthetic Finishes for the second job. I will say it holds heat in, radiating less heat than bare or chromed steel and it requires no upkeep. I also learned that the coating is silver in color, that any other colors are a dyed coating applied over the silver, a scratch may show silver. The coating has a galvanic effect, which means smaller scratches will actually "heal over", no rusting. In about 20 years of use my head pipe had no rust develop in spite of scratches and my never cleaning/polishing the pipe. The megaphone held up well on the outer finish.

Expensive, but well worth it. Wish I would have had it on my Kaw triple in 1975, could have saved some sand blasting and a bunch of heat proof paint.
    SmittyBlackstone and ColumboNH like this.
  4. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    My bike came with a vintage black Luftmeister 2-into-1. I had the local Cerakote gun guy redo it in satin black. It's held up well and was under $100. As with painting, good prep is the key to a durable result. YMMV depending on the applicator.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the Cerakote air dry version on the headers for my Ducati Elefant, and it's been holding up perfectly, albeit it's only been 8 months of riding so far. The nice part is that I could spray it myself and didn't have to send them out (I do have access to sandblast equipment to prep the header)
    SmittyBlackstone and markk53 like this.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Interesting...
  7. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at cerakotes site I saw a max temp of 500 degrees unless I was missing something?
  8. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    So is Cerakote like paint in application?
  10. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's like paint. I used a touchup style spray gun to avoid wasting too much material in overspray. The cerakote has a lot of solids that like to settle out, so the bottles that it comes in have to be well shaken / mixed, and I tried to shake the gun periodically as well. I purchased my two colors in 4 oz "tester" sizes, and had a lot of material left over. The Elefant has 2 headpipes and a single exhaust and I don't see why two similar bottles wouldn't coat a 4 cylinder dual exhaust system.
    DSCN1701.JPG DSCN1699.JPG DSCN1698.JPG DSCN1696.JPG
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    Thanks, interesting possibility for rusted head pipes on my Zephyr. The exhaust looks great on the bike, coating the header would keep the pipe set up for far less cost than an exhaust system.