Exped Megamat

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rainier_runner, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    So i did some searching and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this particular pad. So here we go.

I'm planning on getting one with my REI dividend and 20% off coupon when they come out.

For those of you using them, convince me why i should or shouldn't! Any input and/or info is welcome.

Also post up some pics on the bike, in the tent, etc.

And yes, I know they're large, but the comfort seems worth it...

[​IMG]
  2. ilikadabika

ilikadabika Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to buy a mat too (my first), so I've been doing research. Something to consider- the Synmat (synthetic insulating) is only slightly less insulated than a Megamat, but it will compress to a MUCH smaller size.

Also, look at the 'Complete Sleep System', which includes the mat.

My own personal 'findings' are that a cot is essential. A thinner mat, with a cot would be better than just a thick mat. A cot will keep you off any stones, which as well as the comfort implications, it significantly reduces the likelyhood of a puncture.

Let me know how you get on please :)
    RetiredandRiding likes this.
  3. lightcollector

lightcollector n00b

Oddometer:
    I find the Exped SynMat 12 LXW very comfortable with a reasonable pack size. The 30" width is great.

[​IMG]
    OJ-J and warnabrother like this.
  4. ilikadabika

ilikadabika Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you use a cot? What kind of sleeping bag?
  5. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE!

Oddometer:
    We have 4 of these. One for every member of the family. After buying one and trying it, I thought everyone should be as comfortable as me. Starting with the wife. she took mine over immediately.
    We use oversized sleeping bags, so I like the size. Big? Yep. Worth it? Oh yea!!!
    That's why I bought 3 more.
    Cot? Not on a bike. Too heavy and you still need a pad for comfort and to stay warm.
    But I will take this. And plan to this summer. Up until now, have only truck camped with them.

Our tents stay dry, even in heavy rains, here jn Colorado. But if your in an area where you will be camping in a swamp, well then I guess you need a cot. That would not be fun in my opinion.
    These pads are really thick, and so some wetness on the floor is no problem.
    I have cots and rarely use them anymore.
    I have 4) other models of Thermarests. all have their purpose. (backpacking).
    These are all we use most of the time now.
    Highly recommended.
    Rainier_runner likes this.
  6. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    I love my Synmat 12 LXW, the megamat could only be better.. I sleep better on my Synmat than my expensive mattress at home
  7. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on the cot and mat, my travel chair cot is like a pillow top bed with my Exped Syncell mat on it.
    [​IMG]
    I can fit my cot, two man tent, and chair in one side case, and put my sleeping bag, mat, cocoon pillow, air compressor and tools in my other side case, and this leaves my top box for cloths and stove.
    [​IMG]
    Works great for me.
    [​IMG]
  8. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. Keep it coming!

No cot for me. While they may be nice, I'm trying to keep it simple. And I have a pretty hard time thinking they'd help the Megamat.

As far as the Synmat 12, they certainly are a lot better for packed size. When I visited the REI flagship store a month or so ago, I layed on both the Megamat and the Synmat 12. While the Synmat is worlds more comfortable than my current Big Agnes pad, the Megamat is that much more comfortable than the Synmat. It's not even a comparison.

The more I think about it, the more I'm positive this we'll be the route I go.

@VonBiker Thanks for the positive feedback on your actual use. It's great to hear the firsthand feedback and that they're worth the size sacrifice.
  9. HillbillyNinja

HillbillyNinja Long timer

Oddometer:
    What cot is that, if you don't mind me asking.
  10. 45Guy

45Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought the Megamat 10 and took it out for two nights recently. It was the best I have ever slept while camping. No cot. I folded it in half before rolling and stuffed it into a compression sack. It takes up as much room as my sleeping bag and is heavier than other options, but well worth the trade off. I couldn't believe how comfortable it is.
    Rainier_runner likes this.
  11. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Travel Chair Sleep Right. They're great. They are a little on the large size packed but they are the smallest packed size I could find to comfortably fit me at 6'4" and 200 lbs. I use a BA insulated aircore XL mat and it's better than a bed.
  12. Cogswell

Cogswell Road Captain, Hell I'm a Road General.

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market, and have just about decided on the Synmat 12 LXW . The Megamat 10 looks (on paper) and sounds more comfortable due to the foam inside.
    What was the final packed size of your Megamat 10 after compression ?
  13. 45Guy

45Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9 inches in diameter, 17 inches long. BTW, I recently took the Megamat out for a week and love it even more now.
    sanders446 and Cogswell like this.
  14. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bumping this from two years ago :D

So, I looked at the megamat at REI and it looks really, really nice. However, packed size is 30 in wide which is a problem on the bike.

I've read another user has folded it in half prior to rolling. How has this held up to time?
  15. 45Guy

45Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No issues. I even store it folded in half and rolled up, even though I hear you should lay them flat. Doesn’t seem to bother it. Just used it on a three day trip and still love it. Really helped keep me warm in 20 degree temps.
    sanders446 likes this.
  16. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using an Exped Downmat 7 for several years and loved it however it is only 20" wide.
    I recently upgraded to the Synmat HL Duo .
    It is about 40" wide but still weighs less than 2 lbs and packs down a out the same size as the Exped 7.
    I haven't had a chance to use it yet
    SynMat HL Duo_M.png

Attached Files:

17. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I was tired of my cheaper (albeit small and light) Nemo pad.

Sleep tested the
    MEGAMAT LITE 12 LW and the Sea to Summit Comfort Plus SI Mat-Large for 2 nights each.
    Kept the SS. Thinner, but as comfortable and ‘self inflating’.
    YMMV
  18. Erin Michele

Erin Michele Rides like a girl.

Oddometer:
    My husband and I are heading out for a month or so adventure 2up this summer and are heavily considering the exped megamat duo. Our only concern is the size. It’s huge! We plan to purchase it this spring with our REI dividends and 20% off coupons that come out in March. Then we will see how the monster packs onto the bike. We currently ride an R1200 GSA for some perspective. We pack light so accommodating a mat of this size hopefully isn’t an issue but figuring it out will be part of the fun. I know I need my sleep or I’m a bear to deal with and spending over a month sleeping on the ground at our age (40+)... well, I’d like to avoid as many aches and pains as possible. We have done other extended trips but have utilized hotels, motels and Airbnb’s and camped sparingly. This time we are primarily going to be camping. After we purchase our mat, I will post some pics of how we pack it on our bike and then follow up with how it worked (or didn’t work) for us. Til later...
  19. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Erin, I really don't know where you are going to fit it, especially if it is the double wide one. I still haven't found a way to pack it, but I haven't tried too much yet.
    Erin Michele likes this.
  20. lusula

lusula n00b

Oddometer:
    I can highly recommend the Synmat. I have the 12 LW, it’s very warm and very comfortable, while reasonably in packing size. It’s totally worth it, like a bed.

I also have the Synmat Duo LW when traveling with my better half. Even though it is only 7cm thick it is still warm and very comfy. Considering that this one is only slightly heavier and bigger in pack size than the 12 but fits two persons, I think its a great product.

I use it for motorcycle trips only, for backpacking I would use a lighter pad.

The Megamat I would consider for car camping or as a guest bed, the packing size is massive compared to the Synmat.

As a sleeping bag I use the Exped Dreamwalker WB, great Product as well!
    Erin Michele likes this.