Expedition: Vancouver to Ushuala

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Canadian Dirtbag 2, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Canadian Dirtbag 2

Canadian Dirtbag 2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a potential third rider to join us on a 6 month motorcycle expedition to the southern tip of South America. We will be riding down and then flying back via Buenos Aires. The respective departure and return dates from Vancouver, B.C. are: Sept. 21 /2020 to March 31/ 2021. The plan is to primarily ride challenging "off- road" routes and to seek out those less traveled spots. This trip will require considerable "off- road" riding skills, outdoor experience, ability to adapt to difficult conditions and an "enduro" style motorcycle as opposed to a larger adventure class motorcycle. We will purposely be riding Husky 701's enduros to enhance our off road riding capacity. The travel agenda involves camping extensively along the way so being self reliant is a key asset. This trip will be full of challenges so we really are looking for that "right fit." If you possess the above qualities and are seriously interested please contact us for additional information. Please note, this trip is geared to riders with adept off-road riding and camping experience. Thanks for reading.
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 moto's is 1 too many, a 3rd is a PIA.

That said, I actually prefer to have company on trips in remote areas or to foreign destinations and actually went with 2 friends on my first trip to South America.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/lava...rn-a-ride-in-the-shadow-of-the-andes.1090250/

I have successfully completed dozens of multi moto rides dealing with all the BS that is required to get myself safely home.
    Majority of the rides were actually fun.

Mechanical:
    Statists prove that adding a moto doubles the chance something will go wrong.
    Adding a third guarantees something will happen.
    After all, no one prepares their moto mechanically as well as I do thusly guaranteeing being stuck beside the road with a rider who WAS my best bud.

Personalities:
    Even the "RIGHT FIT" is not going to prevent episodes where you want to strangle one another.
    Eventually deciding when to depart/stop each day or what the destination should be can become frustrating.

The Ride Reports I enjoy following the most are solo riders doing WHAT they want WHEN they want, even tho I'm not comfortable doing that.
    Here's my friend battdoc's RR, he left California in September and is almost to Ushuaia.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/south-i-say-argentina.1339929/

Just some ramblings after 55 years of on the road experience.

I've been thru SA to Ushuaia and you are going to have the trip of a lifetime.
    I truly believe traveling outside your comfort zone and meeting the people from other cultures changes your outlook on life.

Stop by on your way thru Nor-Cal if you need a place to stay or a cold beverage.

Safe Travels
  3. Canadian Dirtbag 2

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug, thanks for your reply. I thought I would go down in ADV history as the only Forum post with 0 replies. What's up with that ADV-ers? I guess a 6 month trip to SA appeals to only a select group of riders especially when you decide to throw in a twist or two. I appreciate your honesty in regards to solo vs. multi-rider travel. Having done both as well, each certainly has it's merits and pitfalls. We decided to "fish" for a third rider hoping to land the big one so to speak. I understand this is of course a very unlikely outcome and an "unlikely fit."

For our particular trip, we are solidly committed to a joint ride. This is something we have both been dreaming of and planning for years. It is a huge undertaking for most "normal" middle aged family guys holding down a career. We are not full time globe trotting adventure riders by any means; However, we have done many shorter adventure rides together and we have many years of motorcycle related experience. Our passion for anything motorcycle runs very deep my friend. I suppose you could say, and I quote Jimmy Hendrix, " we are experienced." We know bikes and we know each other. In our situation, I argue that 2 riders is the best scenario.

I'm not going to kid myself and think that this trip won't offer up all types adversity, that is one of the main reasons we need to do this. We have found that the challenges along the way are often what make these trips memorable and rewarding. Whenever we reflect on those past trips, it seems to be those tough days that stick in your head, bring a smile to your face and beer to your lips. Remember when we took that wrong turn and ……….. ( fill in the blank) chug... ...chug.

During our travels, we are implementing a flexible ride agenda so we can respond to the unforeseen. We are mainly limited by time thus we have only set some firm dates for where we need to be as we travel along- just to keep us on some kind of schedule. For example, we have allotted 3 months travel to reach Colombia? Not sure if it will Cartegena or Bogota?

Our ride through the USA includes 3 main sections : Tour of IDAHO, Nevada DBR and the SoCAL DBR. This puts us pretty close to San Diego where we will take a quick break and mechanical up for the BAJA 1000 route. Not sure if we will be running any where near you but we would love to meet with you for a bullshit session or a brewsky. I would like to compile a resource of "meets" along the way so if there are any other ADV'ers out there who wouldn't mind a possible visit drop us your info now!

Doug, I look forward to viewing your attached resources shortly. However, I need to change out the alternator my daughter's Subaru so she can get to University. I WOULD MUCH RATHER BE WORKING ON A MOTORCYCLE! AAAHHHHHH!

Keep er pinned,

The Canadian DirtBag # 1
  4. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you were doing your trip this year, I'd be all over it. Already have a trip to Santiago in the works, but it'll be this coming August/September.
  5. Canadian Dirtbag 2

Oddometer:
    Right on Cave-man. How much time are you able to take of work for your ride? Are you planning on riding down and up or do you have plans to ship your bike back? We would like to ship our bikes back by air to USA West Coast ( Seattle, LA or ?). Has anyone out there shipped a bike back from SA to Seattle before, if yes can you provide some details. We will be riding a pair of Husqvarna 701's for our trek and they will have lots of life left in them. I feel that it will be a buyers market for those seeking to purchase a bike in SA. Those selling their bikes will more than likely take a hit on their investment- the price of doing business I suppose. A bigger, newer and more expensive bike, like your 2017 Africa Twin, will take a much bigger hit than say a 2004 KLR650 for example.

Keep er pinned...…

Canadian DirtBag #1
  6. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Interested, formally Van based.... now in Vic. Let us connect. 800 gsa “baja spec’ed...”
  7. Canadian Dirtbag 2

Oddometer:
    Ok lets certainly chat. I tried to access your profile to "start conversation" but was blocked. My profile is open and members can access my personal email from there, at least I think they can. Or is there a better way to exchange personal contact info on ADV without the whole world knowing?

Thanks for your interest.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  8. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Will PM you this week. I frequently get across to Van- let’s meet up, plan some rides ect., see how it shakes out!
  9. Canadian Dirtbag 2

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I ride weekly but currently dirt only. Ride primarily on MCNUTT mountain, it's generally considered pretty nasty. Not sure if you have a dirt bike or not? I find there is no better way to improve your dirt skills than actually riding dirt.
    Here a link to the Club website with all the info.
    https://bluemountainmotorcycleclub.com/

Cheers,

Canadian DirtBag #1
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  10. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    There you go, found a third rider in 1 day. lol

Regarding shipping home from SA.
    My 2 friends used Javiar at Dakar Motors in Buenos Aries, Argentina to ship by air.
    He has a modest fee to handle all logistics.

2 other acquaintances used Enzo at Villa Kunderbunt to ship by container from Valparaiso, Chile.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Villa-Kunterbunt/1415469548485562

No sure of the Husqvarna dealer network in CA or SA.
    As you stated, it's not an Adventure until shit goes wrong, and it WILL.

I carry replacement spare parts that cover items that will prevent the moto from moving forward.
    It's handy if you are both riding the same moto, you can carry one set of spare parts and split up the load.
    I run a spare clutch and/or brake cable as needed zip tied to existing.
    Ignition items, stator, CDI unit, pulse coil, spark plugs, etc
    Bulbs and fuses
    Brake, clutch and shift levers.
    Wheel bearings
    Brake pads
    Oil/fuel filters
    Water and Fuel pump rebuild kit if applicable
    Tube and patch kit, bead breaker and tire levers.
    I even carry chain, sprockets and counter shaft seal. Chains seem to be easy to source but sprockets can be a problem.
    I carry countershaft sprockets of various tooth count to swap for hwy or offroad.
    I carry a bunch of other crap, rear hub cush rubbers, misc nuts/bolts, elect tester, moto jumper cables, engine gaskets (side covers, valve covers and oil filter cover), oil plug crush washers, JB weld, RTV cement.

There are many moto repair shops that can do the work (even rebuild shocks) but specific brand parts can be difficult to source.

Watch the work being done to observe it's of proper quality.
    I had a Suzuki dealer shop in Lima send me off with NO oil filter installed, luckily the cover leaked next day and when I removed cover to change gasket, discovered filter missing and installed one I was carrying. WTF

I agree that the "challenges" build character and I get great satisfaction out of overcoming the adversities luck (or lack of) throws your way.
    I pick a destination daily and work at enjoying the "ride" but I now find the most memorable part of my trips are the people I meet along the way.
    Go out of your way to stop and engage folks along the way.
    I speak NO Spanish but todays translator apps help and there always seems to be someone (usually a kid) nearby who speaks English.

Regarding Apps;
    whatsapp for free international text and phone
    maps.me on my Iphone for navigation (I gave up on Garmin)
    booking.com for accommodations (I like to stay near city centers)

Safe Travels
  11. Canadian Dirtbag 2

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug, this is the kind of advice you just can't get enough of. Wow, when you say you carry some extra parts you're not kidding. Not sure we will be carrying everything that you do but many of the items are no brainers. Your advice about getting work down along the way is an eye opener, missing parts/ filters is something we never thought of especially when getting work professionally done? I am going to forward your recommendations onto our chief mechanic: Canadian DirtBag #2. We have split up some of the responsibilities a bit based on who is more adept and experienced in that area, mechanics versus navigation for example. We have sent out an enquiry to Dakar Motorsports and we are eagerly awaiting a reply. I might be picking your brain again about some other issues as well, hope you are ok with that. Got to tighten some spokes on a rear wheel before our ride tomorrow so gotta run.

Keep er pinned,

Canadian DirtBag#2