EXPERIENCE DEALING W/ TOURIST MEXICO INSURANCE ADJUSTERS AFTER ACCIDENT?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by zigyphoto, Nov 20, 2017.

1. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a crash last week and while I've met with local rep for HDI Seguros, I will be speaking tomorrow with the main person. The bike has sustained some serious (= expensive) -- tho not irreparable-- damage.

See damage at this ADV link

Will appreciate experienced advice from any others who have had dealings with HDI or other Mexican TOURIST insurance.

Thanks,

z
  2. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    Buen suerte.
    When i crashed my jeep in baja it was a nightmare.
    Had to take it to their "authorized" shop. What a joke, hammers and a blow torch, serio? Wrong parts installed, months of waiting to be told it's ready when it wasn't.
    I finally kicked and screamed enough that they cashed me out (after making me sign my pink over to the mechanic)....
  3. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    Kiko,

Thanks again.

HDI Seguros told me they would pay up to $500 for me to get my BMW back to the US from San Miguel de Allende; when I told them I could find no such limit in the policy, they upped it to $1000, which is about what it cost to get it back to San Antonio, TX. Have filled out all the paperwork and am waiting to go home until the estimator/adjustor shows up at friend's house to look at bike. I asked about all the additional parts I added to the bike and they said to provide them with a list. We'll see what happens; will update as known.

z
  4. TxSignGuy

TxSignGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    Zigyphoto, would you mind updating what happened with your accident and claim. I am in the middle of a claim with HDI Seguros after totaling my GS and interested to know how it ended for you.
  5. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    UPDATE AS REQUESTED:

I had a local shop bang my Jesses back into shape good enough to mount and finish trip to SMA (another 1000 miles w/o mirrors, turn signals or other such bits): $50

I found a motorcycle trip guide in SMA and we loaded my GS onto his trailer and drove it all the way to BMW dealer in San Antonio; they paid $19,500 ($20k insurance less the $500 deductible), plus hotel in Nuevo Laredo ($60.00).
    Cannot find a deposit receipt for the $1000 transport costs... but I am pretty sure they paid that....

Hope that helps? Please write direct to my inmatename@gmail.com if I can help any more. trust you ok and back in Tejas?

z
  6. TxSignGuy

TxSignGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    That's great to know they paid for the bike without too much hassle. The police impounded my bike after the accident, but after two days in the hospital, I was put on a plane back to Texas to recover. They wouldn't let the insurance company take my bike out of impound without me standing there with my title and HDI can't determine the damages without taking the bike to a repair shop. Fast forward five months and throw in an attorney in Mexico, multiple trips to the Mexican Consulate, the Secretary of State and the DMV, and the bike is hopefully getting close to getting out of impound (assuming it's still there!). If I would have know it would get this long and complicated, I would have just flown down there once I had recovered a bit. Assuming all that ultimately works out, I now have only one month left on my TVIP and no idea how that will end without a bike to take back across the border.
  7. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    What a F-in nightmare! I hate to say this, but I will probably never ride Mexico again simply because of the potential for these kinds of horrors.

If I can be of any help or consolation let me know. Not much I can do from here, but at least you are home and in one (?) piece?
    Wherever the bike is, surely you can find someone to transport the two of you back to TX.
    My best thought: fly down there, arrange to meet HDI to remove bike from impound and have them agree to pay the costs ($1000) to transport bike back to US as they did for me. Drive back with the vehicle that is transporting it back to TX (I took my GS to Alamo outside of SA). I think I paid the guy $400 plus gas and meals both ways to return us (GS and me). I also paid for the hotel in Laredo.

z
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I had a claim with ACE Seguros a few years ago. No problems at all. They even stored the bike for me until I was able to get back to pick it up.

Gustavo
  9. Rocketgrrrl

Rocketgrrrl Shut up and Ride!

Oddometer:
    I had a claim several years ago with Ace Seguros as well. It was a hassle partially due to my inadequate Spanish to interact effectively but in the end they paid the repair and the work was completed at the BMW dealership in Guadalajara and all was well done, after some foot stomping, in a timely manner (by Mex standards) that got the bike back on the road. Good luck.
  10. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, I'm glad your ok. I tried to fly my 3/4 ton truck and camper a few years ago, scared the shit out of my dogs and family. The landing tore off the front passenger side wheel and axel shaft, fucked up the camper. We were an hour south of Guerro Negro. I thumbed to Guerro and called the insurance company, they had an adjuster drive out to the crash site and order a tow truck before I was able to thumb back to the truck. Anyways, mechanic shops aren't as high tech as the US but they had all my parts by the next day at noon. Truck was done the following morning. Adjuster checked back in to see the work being done, found more damage and noted it. I had to pay cash out of my pocket for the repairs. I drove home thinking that I was going to get boned by the insurance company since I was getting the run around, however I kept my patience and had some faith but asked a lot of questions and wrote down who I was talking to and what was said.. I received a check about a week later, it covered all my repairs , towing, hotel, plus the cost of having the front end redone at my local shop in town when I got home. Im glad I had insurance. The bottom line is your in Mex not the U.S. so they do things differently. Document everything, take pics of all the damage. Don't wait to get in a wreck before you read the policy. (Some policies won't cover you on dirt roads or if you are engaged in offloading or racing. ) Have all paperwork with you plus cash , checks and credit card ( in Baja most places are cash only) Buy good insurance from a reputable company, not the time to save money. Try to develop a good repore with the people you are dealing with, attitude goes a long way.