Experience using Motul 300V in 2018/2019 GS Boxers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pmariana, Sep 10, 2019.

1. pmariana

pmariana n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, new member, not new rider,

I've been a committed Motul 300V user for some decades now (mainly Japanese inline 4's), so this isn't a question of which oil is better . . . I have two different questions,

The new R1250GSA that I just now have, uses BMW oil of course and I'm well acquainted with the BMW perspective on their oil and why it's best for their bikes, and I even understand some of their rationale,

But . . . I've had such good results with 300V even though it costs more, part of me really still wants to use it long term in Kozel (my new boxer - all front-end large, and narrow hips, just like my goat bucks!)

So, I'm sure some people can comment on the current ability/inability of BMW to withhold warranty coverage if I don't use their branded oil,

and secondly, can anyone say what their experience of Motul 300V (correct grade) has been in a recent model boxer 12xx engine?

I've also been pretty happy with the US Redline oil which, base stock wise, seems fairly similar (polyol ester), so could include this oil in my two questions too . . .

cheers folks!

glad yer all here!
  2. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are new but there is an entire section of the board devoted to the BMW GS bikes. It is called Gspot. Ask your questions there . They can always use yet another oil thread.
    ydarg likes this.
  3. LuckyPunk

LuckyPunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your boxer has cats, and 300v doesn't get along with those due to the high zinc/phosphorous content. Look up the price of replacing your catalytic converters, they're expensive. There are other properties of 300v that make it a great racing oil, and a lousy street oil. One is ph balancers, oil can become acidic and eat into things like plain bearings, reducing engine longevity. Short rides exacerbate this, oil manufacturers take this into account and add ph balancers so your engine lasts many thousands of miles. Race engines don't have such concerns.

Another difference is contaminants/detergents. Race engines get taken apart and cleaned, their crankshaft is a wear part while the crankshaft on a streetbike should last the like of the motorcycle. Normal street oil contains detergents that suspend dirt particles and keep it away from engine parts, race oil has less of that.

There are reasons why 300v is a fantastic race oil and a lousy street oil. Motul makes a high performance oil for streetbikes like your GS called 7100, and they recommend it as an alternative to 300v for road going motorcycles.
    racer1735 likes this.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    thank you !

for starting another oil thread.

rotella
    ydarg likes this.
  5. pmariana

pmariana n00b

Oddometer:
    Good points, and I understand the race oil Street oil difference. though I must add that I've run three bikes on 300V for a total of 250 000 km without incident. I had a journeyman mechanic tell me that one 30"V works for street use, 5-40 it was.
  6. LuckyPunk

LuckyPunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    300v is great oil, and you'll probably be fine using it. If it's your jam, go for it, probably won't hurt anything. I do think there are better options for your usage scenario, but that's my opinion, and it's your bike.
    bmwannnabee likes this.