Experience with "Booster Plug"?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by crazyhawk99, Dec 16, 2009.

1. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whether or not introducing an air temperature offset error has a long term effect on a vehicle's AFR (air fuel ratio) isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. The facts in this case, can be confirmed three ways: Bosch's & BMWs written description of its system (and all Closed Loop ECUs, it's not just BMW that has the "magic"), detailed measurements of AFR (here), and the trim factors that have begun being reported by the GS-911 (Multiplicative Trims, Additive Trims and Lambda Control Factors). The bottom line to all three sets of facts is that Closed Loop systems learn and correct a host of errors, including those introduced at the air temperature sensor.

If one wanted to keep the air temp sensor error from being learned and corrected, they could disconnect the O2 sensors just as Techlusion and Power Commander do. However, that then keeps the ECU from making a host of helpful corrections, like adjusting for ethanol content in the fuel, and it puts the ECU into "limp" mode, which spreads fueling both richer and leaner than stock, in an alternating pattern, in an attempt to keep the catalytic converter functioning.
  2. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Perhaps only me but I used the BP [Jens is a stand up guy] and then Poolside's wonder product [which politely questioning the problems with it got me 86ed from the forum for five days] and over time neither device resolved issues with the leaning fueling problems of my '07 GSA. I bought the AF-Xied and now [settings of 7 or 8] after 10K+ of dirt riding with a lot of high heat, 1-2-3 gear grunts, the lean fueling issues are gone.

Just my experience and of course I could be wrong. Too bad BMW did not figure out the correct fuel mapping before they sold me my bike; hopefully they have in the newer bikes.

Phil
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  3. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Well, probably not a matter of figuring out so much as running the ragged edge of lean for emissions reasons.
  4. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    On the contrary, BMW got it perfect. But then the emissions idiot walked into the room and asked for a lean mixture.
    slime, OzRider64, beemerphile and 3 others like this.
  5. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be shortly fitting a booster plug to my CCM 450, that uses the BMW designed 450 single. Off on a trip to Spain and will report on whether or not the Boosterplug is working its magic at the beginning and the end of the trip.

Charles
  6. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased one from an inmate because of the claim that it tames the startling off idle response of my 08 GS and was supposed to make the backfire on deceleration go away. It worked very well on off idle response- still backfires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  7. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Search for the AF-Xied thread and read through it....the "temp spoofers" will temporarily make the mixture richer but then the BMW ACUs will revert the mixture back into BMW parameters over time... [See post #322].. the AF-Xied works through the oxygen sensors to 'dial in' a richer mixture...so far my GSA has never again gone "lean". Just my experience.

Phil
  8. Mr.JAJA

Mr.JAJA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the AF-X on a 2004 GSA and tries different settings over the last two years and 20000 M. Started with setting 8-10 and the fuel consumption where around 32-34 M/G. After 10000 M i changed slow down to 4. Now the green/ yellow LED is switching all time at 65M / h 3500RPM and the millage is 40-43 M / G, even under load uphill the LED switching back and for. The bike runs as smooth as a old "SINGER Naehmaschine" No vibration, hikups, backfire.
    I am absolute happy with this setup. And yes, I have this installed under the Tach, so I can see the LED all times.
  9. Tonythepilot

Tonythepilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had the Booster Plug on my 2013 F800GS for three years now. Still works as advertised. Thanks for making a product that just works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    If you collected data points of your injector duty cycle or air fuel now, then removed it and reset ecu learning, you would see after a couple tanks of fuel it wasn't doing a thing anymore.

The change is temporary.
  11. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, technically it's still working as advertised. The ecu is just too smart for that. :)
    KiwiKurt and JimVonBaden like this.
  12. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    touché, sir.
  13. ikayak

ikayak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jens
    I just got an 02 r1150gs. Do you still have the booster plug available?

Thanks!
  14. jenslh

jenslh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes certainly ! - The BoosterPlug is in stock for your bike !

Actually, we do take a pride in having the BoosterPlug in stock for all bikes and our warehouse rarely go below 3000 BoosterPlug units.
  15. n.jordan10

n.jordan10 n00b

Oddometer:
    Booster plug ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Markfs

Markfs n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a boosterplug. I write that with both a little bit of embarrassment and an amount of frustration. I had it on for a month or so and I took it off earlier this week. Initially, I thought it did something but I cant see any difference in the last week.

I wish that I could get my money back which is the reason for my embarrassment. When I took it off the bike and found out that it did nothing, I just wanted to slink away into the shadows and forget the whole experience. I feel like one of those people tricked out of $200 by a guy with some fast hands and a pack of cards.

I also wanted to know how I was convinced it would work and why it didn't work. Well the physics sounded good. Slightly tap the response curve of the EFI to make it richer, because Kawasaki ( I own a W800) had made the bike lean to meet emission standards. It sounded good. But I forgot that they are other things hanging off the EFI which might correct the "tap" from the boosterplug. For example, the oxygen sensor in the exhaust, that might sense the richer mixture and adjust its feedback to the EFI and cancel out the effect of the boosterplug.

And I also began to realise that an air cooled motor changes a bit depending on the weather. The system is already dealing with different ambient temperatures in the airbox, so why would a gentle tap from the boosterplug, tap the response curve of the EFI permanently to a more richer response.

I wish I could get that money back and start again.

I'm a little peeved that I was convinced by all the positive comments on the net. I've been using the net for a while. I should have remembered that people who are posting are often not too logical in their thinking. Of course, the boosterplug might work on BMWs but it doesn't mean that it's going to work on a W800. I also forgot that there's a lot of vendors in these forums and they sell a lot of things like boosterplugs.

If I had a word of advice, if you want to buy this thing, buy it from a shop with bricks and mortar. Get a written statement from the seller that they will give you your money back in 2 months if you find out that it doesn't work. I would also advise you to try to be honest with yourself and other about the effects of this thing. After you install it and scream "eureka it works!", try removing it and make a sober assessment of whether it actually had an effect. Maybe it does. Maybe on a BMW. Maybe in winter in the northern areas of Canada and Scotland. Who knows. All I can say is that I have this strange feeling that I've been taken for a ride. That I've been shafted and the guy who did it, did such a professional job, that I'm still wondering if I lost my virginity or whether it was just a bad dream.
    NZRalphy likes this.
  17. jenslh

jenslh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark,

This is Jens from the BoosterPlug company.

All forums are very strict that vendors can not use the forums to promote their product, so I have to be very careful with my reply here....

But as we have sold way over 25.000 BoosterPlug units to happy customers world wide since 2009, we obviously do not like to be accused of fraud. So I hope it's OK that I add in a few facts:

• If a customer is not happy with the BoosterPlug, we have a fair and simple return policy - please see the T&C section on the www.boosterplug.com website.
    • The BoosterPlug is designed to work in cooperation with the O2 sensor in the exhaust to provide the engine with the small controlled fuel enrichment where it is needed the most, but the O2 sensor will NOT cancel out the effect of the BoosterPlug.
    If you want the details on how the O2 sensor works on your bike, I can humbly recommend that you download my free e-book on motorcycle fuel injection.

[​IMG]

It's available here: https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-fuel_injection_book.html

We are always happy to answer any question new or existing customers may have on the BoosterPlug, but there are strict forum regulations for vendors, so please mail questions directly to us through the BoosterPlug.com website contact form. We will not be able to answer general questions on the BoosterPlug in this or any other forum.

@ Forum Moderator: This post is a single reply/defense to the fraud accusation above. We have no desire or need to use the forum to promote our device, but I hope you will allow this reply.

/Jens
    /BoosterPlug.com
    Blakduk and BOON NOBODY like this.
  18. Markfs

Markfs n00b

Oddometer:
    It wasn't an accusation of fraud. I was expressing an opinion about how I was feeling. I said that the device ( I will refer to it as that) has had no discernible effect on my W800. That is my genuine assessment. I put it on and then took it off and repeated that process. I bought the bike about 3 months ago and it hadn't been used much - 3000K in 5 years. When I first put the device on, it appeared to have an effect but I was also cleaning the air filters and running some fuel injector cleaner through it at the time, so I took the device off and it didn't appear to have any effect, but I put it on again for another month. The bike was better than when I first got it, but I decided to remove the device again to try to make a judgement on its effect.

The device is said to fix a number of issues around idling and low-speed riding and deceleration. It didn't for me. I indicated that it might work on other bikes and other climates. I understand that there has been a large number of happy customers and I'm wondering why I'm not one of them. I don't know other people who have used the device so I don't know either way. I paid over $200 for a device that doesn't work and yet I see a lot of references and quotes from the site that seem to indicate a lot of happy customers. I expressed how this made me feel. I made a suggestion about people ensuring that they can get their money back if the device doesn't work.... if that's possible then that's positive. I suppose readers can make their own judgement on whether that's a fair deal.

I'm not a bike mechanic but I think the bike is a pretty average example of a W800. It accelerates well and cruises well at any speed above about 3000 rpm. It's problems - which aren't that great but which are annoying - seem to be the same as a lot of motorbikes with EFI. I got a comment from guy down the street when I was parking the bike last week that it looked like a new bike. In other words, I don't see the bike as having any engine or fuel injector problems that I'm trying to fix with a cure-all. I just keep wondering why the fix doesn't work on my bike.
  19. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's why you're not one of the happy customers, and in the spirit of the earlier post, I will make this my single post here as well.

The "humble" book (written for the benefit of the 25,000 units--over $3.75M USD revenue, nearly 500K$ per year--produced by BoosterPlug over the last 8 years) does not explain how the lambda sensor and Closed Loop operation creates short term trims (called Lambda Control Factors, LCFs) nor does it explain how the LCFs are used by the fuel injection system (Motronic and BMSK) to create long term trims (called Multiplicative and Additive Trims). These trims are not fictional and are all reported by the GS-911 when reading out realtime data from a BMSK.

It is these long term trims that do the work of fixing sensor errors, fuel ethanol differences, fuel pressure changes and fuel injection flow rate differences.

As a result of not explaining the development and application of the long term trims, the book leads one to believe that introducing a shift (which is a sensor error) at the air temp sensor can effect fueling permanently, which it cannot.

Here is a simplified outline of the ECU process that develops and applies long term trims.

Rather than think about an Open Loop and a Closed Loop map, a better picture of what's going on is as follows:

Each fueling calculation starts with the Base Map (not Open or Closed Loop) or Fuel Table, whatever you call it.
    1. Read Base Map using TPS angle and RPM.
    2. Interpolate for in-between values. In other words if your RPM or TPS is partway between cells in the table (which is likely) calculate an amount of fuel that is partway between the two cells.
    2a. Read Oil Temperature. If engine is cold, increase fuel 5-20% based on temperature and time since start.
    3. Read Air Temp. Adjust fueling slightly based on temperature, from a table.
    4. Read Baro Pressure. Adjust fueling slightly based on pressure, from a table.
    5. Read Battery Voltage. Adjust fueling slightly based on voltage, from a table.
    6. Read Long Term Trim (from a previously calculated value). Adjust fueling. Adjustment may be up to about 20%!

If Closed Loop isn't possible. FIRE FUEL INJECTOR based on above calculation.

If Closed Loop is possible (determined by engine Load, rate of TPS change, RPM, engine temperature and time since start, etc.), continue the fueling calculation.
    7. Read O2 sensor, check & run next step of Closed Loop algorithm (omitted here for simplicity). Update Short Term Fuel Trim. If Short Term Fuel Trim is significant or has been stable, adjust LONG TERM FUEL TRIM.
    8. Adjust fueling based on Short Term Fuel Trim.
    9. FIRE FUEL INJECTOR based on above calculation.

Because step 6 above is the last step in Open Loop fueling, ECUs are able to apply all these trims, all the time, at high speed and without realtime reference to the lambda sensor. Best of all, these long term trims can be read from some ECUs and measured on all--so they are not Wierd Theories as the book tries to claim.

houlster, overtone and OzRider64 like this.
  20. luca9277

luca9277 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is one of the most disturbing posts I've read in a long time.
    You have the rights to be disappointed if the product didn't meet your expectations but your essay is essentially shifting the blame on 'everyone else':
    - The vendor who took your 'virginity' away
    - The others in these forums who drunk the cool aid

Perhaps your bike didn't respond to the boosterplug as you expected, perhaps you may not be as sensible in 'feeling' the bike's response to these mods.
    Maybe you were thinking your W800 would magically turn into a Panigale Superleggara..

Either way you should respect people hard work, Jens spend thousands of hours to develop this product.
    Roger invested a ton of his time on the AFX.

Thousands of people are happy with their products; I had both and whilst the solved different issues I believe they delivered on their promises.

Put your BP on sale again, you'll get some money back and keep your bike the way it is.. your backend will thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blakduk and jenslh like this.