1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Exploring California - Journey of a Noob

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by KennyBooBear, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Directly across HWY76 from this location, is "Center Loop." (It's also home of Josie's biker bar.) Anyway, taking Center Loop finds you at the entrance to Mesa Grande. For the next 15 miles of motorcycle nirvana, this road offers it all. Tight twisties, huge sweepers, 150+MPH straightaways. (Not that I'd EVER do that...)
    sealsam and KennyBooBear like this.
  2. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I went past Josie's twice on Saturday and it was packed both times. Given the whole Coronavirus thing I opted not to stop, but once all this crap clears up, I'll definitely make it a pit stop. I live about 30 minutes from there which is convenient haha
    sealsam likes this.
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wife & I left Borrego this morning about 830, after traveling the 22 for many many years, I've never seen as much rock debris scattered all over the road as I did today. I kept thinking of my fellow 2 wheel friends out there, coming around some of those blind curves, eek.

Get out to the desert as much as you can before the heat sets in. The other side of the Salton Sea is always worth a visit. Salvation Mountain & East Jesus. When in Borrego for eats; Carlee's is actually pretty darn good, everything! Carmilita's for Mex, Red Ocotillo for breakfast. Of course under the current conditions all food will be to go. The park at the circle is always a great eating spot.

Remember over 140 metal structure's in Borr Valley, take Borr Springs Rd north from Christmas Circle to view many good one's.

My messy lunch at the park not too long ago,

[​IMG]

When you start venturing north, take 371 through Anza and ride down 74 to Palm Desert, then turn around and head back, you'll love it!! Palms to Pines Hwy, mix that in with the 22 into Borr, and 78 Banner Grade into Julian. Those 3 right there will give you some of best local up & down local roads. Also, the ride along Sunrise Hwy is pretty nice also, that'll link you with Julian. Julian Pie Co is wonderful too.

Welcome to SoCal, your pics with the phone look great.

Look forward to seeing your future rides!
  4. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ +1
    The Virginian and sealsam like this.
  5. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Definitely building a list of planned rides for the coming months!

I did Pines to Palms down into Palm Desert last weekend but by car with the wife.

Originally I had intended on going that route on the bike this weekend but since I was just there, opted for Anza-Borrego instead.

Will definitely had to add your recommendations to the list!
    sealsam and eaglescan like this.
  6. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated above......Banner Grade is a blast, up or down!! Hwy 79 out of Julian going south towards Lake Cuyamaca and Interstate 8. Nice restaurant at the Lake. Welcome to So Cal!!
    black 8, sealsam and KennyBooBear like this.
  7. Norty01

Oddometer:
    Should we tell him about Yaqui Pass from 78 to Borrego? Always fun to hold something back, then surprise them with something they knew nothing about! Then, maybe Monty Grade out of Borrego?

(No worries, I got LOTS more, that aren't on any map...)
    sealsam and KennyBooBear like this.
  8. Norty01

Oddometer:
    Let’s see if this map comes out. It’s for motorcyclists...
    IMG_4059.jpg
  9. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    STOP IT, I can't cross the border to come down!
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  10. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll have to take advantage of that perhaps in the next week or two. We're rotating in and out of the office, so maybe I'll ride the KTM in next Monday and duck out around noon Then as Morty suggested, I can catch Yaqui Pass down into Borrego Springs and loop back around home.

It's the unmapped tracks I like best haha

I'm thinking Coyote Canyon this weekend heading North out of Borrego Springs on the Royal Enfield sounds like a blast!

I read that the trail is closed to 4x4s at middle Willows though. Does that mean it's also closed to motorcycles?

I saw somewhere else that bikes were okay but it didn't mention if those were mountain bikes.

Cheers.
  11. mbanzi

mbanzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes bicycles only through the Willows. I've done it, not fun.
  12. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    As said it is gated at the end. There 2 roads on the left that go to Sheep Canyon, you can do a loop in and out.
    KennyBooBear likes this.
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding ride report and your narrative is unmatched. Thanks for sharing with us all the great pictures!

Eric
    KennyBooBear and black 8 like this.
  14. Norty01

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention...once all this virus foolishness is behind us, and you find yourself in Ocotillo, you might want to visit "The Red Feather Cafe." (My go to, is the Smittyburger.) Named after Marty Smith. He rode for Honda, back in the day. Oh, they got tater tots too! Bring your camera inside when you go there. Trust me on this...
  15. sealsam

Oddometer:
    This is awesome!!

Highland Valley Rd., :thumb

Great shirt Norty.

**edit. Out of pic, but check out De Luz Rd. west of Lake Elsinore/Temecula area. I always thank @villageidiot for this one.
  16. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Funny, I have a buddy I made last weekend who recommended that one. Was planning on riding it tomorrow after work since I'm working from home and live in Temecula.
    sealsam and eaglescan like this.
  17. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    KennyBooBear and sealsam like this.
  18. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Caution;

There is a little split in the road at De Luz Murrieta Rd(the one you want)and De Luz Rd. Don't go up DL Rd, there is a guy that lets his dogs run wild and the bitches will be nipping at your heals.

Have you been east out through Warner Springs? Then loop around Lake Henshaw up to Mt. Palomar, continue west on the 76, then take the Pala Temecula Rd back home. You've got such great routes being based in Temecula!
    KennyBooBear and eaglescan like this.
  19. KennyBooBear

Oddometer:
    Noted! I'll probably be coming from the opposite direction anyways so I doubt that'll be an issue but it I ever come in from the South (assuming I'm looking at the correct Y in the road), I'll keep that in mind.

I basically did that route last weekend when I came back from Anza-Borrego. I went there that way and came back the same way - sans the Warner Springs part. Is it worth it to route through Warner Springs directly? I probably will at some point anyways as I have a habit of trying to change my route every single trip until I've basically ridden every road there is in a given area haha