1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Exploring Hawai'i, O'ahu

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Redoubt, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    Aloha yes I've been to Malaekahana beach. I think I mentioned this earlier, the sand that was outside Robin's nest in season 1 on magnum has been washed away aswell. There is still sand there obviously but it's no longer a beach.
    Chillis likes this.
  2. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  3. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree, the Hawaiian's tend to shoot themselves in the foot, what ever happened to the jnterisland farry?
  4. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    I have to be careful what I say, otherwise this thread will end up in the toxic politics forum on here. The ferry service was ended because that party deemed the ferries bad for the environment and I guess think air travel was a better option.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Small world. I actually recognized one of the names: Waimanalo. I was on Oahu 30 years ago for a month and we went to Waimanalo to see a Polo match. I'd never seen the game and was curious. We rented a topless Jeep and drove there. Wonderful day.
    Chillis and Redoubt like this.
  6. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    We went snorkeling in Kuilima Cove next to Turtle Bay. There is far too much rock in shallow water in my opinion I've been to Sharks Cove but I haven't been in the water there yet.

IMG_20200628_144449.jpg

This is the first blue stop sign I've seen.
    IMG_20200628_144324.jpg

I purchased the sw motech shifter extension and r&g engine case protectors. Other than a riders backrest my Vstrom is pretty much complete.

IMG_20200630_194258.jpg IMG_20200630_194504.jpg IMG_20200630_194652.jpg IMG_20200630_210638.jpg

A few nights back we are at Dukes on Waikiki. I can't recommend it. Too expensive for the small portions given.

Waikiki
    IMG_20200701_212600.jpg IMG_20200701_212701.jpg IMG_20200701_212918.jpg IMG_20200701_213039.jpg
  7. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    Sharks Cove, I plan to snorkel here soon.

IMG_20200704_164829.jpg

The right r&g engine cover was a pain to fit on as I had to remove the crash bars and skid plate to slide it over.

IMG_20200704_182106.jpg

Kailua beach park for an evening destresser walk. IMG_20200704_192753.jpg
    I went for an early morning walk around the Ali Wai canal in Honolulu, I've never seen so many lost souls.

IMG_20200706_061612.jpg IMG_20200706_063339.jpg IMG_20200706_063349.jpg IMG_20200706_063900.jpg
    NSFW, popscycle, Sandspit and 4 others like this.
  8. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    I prefer riding around in the early morning or later on in the evening. I'm trying to pile on as many miles as I can to get the PCX to it's 15,000 mile service and then I'll switch back to the Strom. I just wish they sold the X-ADV in the USA, one bike/scooter is all I need.

IMG_20200706_075516.jpg IMG_20200706_080800_1.jpg IMG_20200706_080800_1.jpg IMG_20200706_072300.jpg IMG_20200706_072445.jpg IMG_20200706_072617.jpg IMG_20200706_073851.jpg IMG_20200706_074900.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    The PCX is at 14,500 miles. I was heading back from Mermaid Caves this evening going eastbound up the H3 mountain when all power went. Immediately I knew the drivebelt had snapped. It was due to be replaced at 15,000 miles. With the heavy duty freeway riding I do uphill, it must have put more strain on the belt. I will replace it every 10,000 miles from now on.

Ended up removing the windshield and throwing the PCX in the back of a Chevy Tahoe with the tailgate open to get it home. IMG_20200719_184612_1.jpg
    Chillis, ydarg and gulfcoaster like this.
  10. bovine

bovine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice sticker you got on the shield, got a couple laying around myself.
  11. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    This is what's left of the drive belt. I had the replacement on standby, I think they are $30. At the next service I will be replacing the variator weights as they had flat spots.

IMG_20200721_183114.jpg IMG_20200721_183109.jpg IMG_20200721_183119.jpg IMG_20200721_201020.jpg IMG_20200721_192957.jpg
    Chillis likes this.
  12. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer !
    Redoubt likes this.
  13. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Dang, it shredded the belt. My experience with my Buell was simply a snapped belt because it picked up a stone.
    Redoubt likes this.
  14. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    I used to have an xb12x, I never had to replace the belt even with light off road. Such a great bike.
    Chillis and ydarg like this.
  15. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love this thread! I finally got the chance to go to Oahu twice in one year thanks to taxpayer dollars and my last trip was about this time last year. I was also there for Hurricane Lane and had to spend several nights at TAMC during that because they were expecting a flood of victims and had sent away many of the normal working staff. :fpalm Anyway, we had some time off during that trip and were able to do some hiking then. We hiked up Diamond Head, Koko Head stairs, and several other jungle hikes. Ironically, I used to supervise a guy in his mid 30's and he now supervises me after becoming an officer. He's from Oahu and took us around the island as much as we could during our time off this last time. We were staying at the Illikai in Waikiki but were working at Barber's Point and would commute back and forth every day. I still don't understand how that worked but I'm not complaining! Since I wasn't driving I'd have lots of time to think while waking up in the van and one of those thoughts I had continuously while traveling around the island was that I'd probably have a big scooter like yours if I were stationed there as I just couldn't justify having a large cc mc and not being able to use it fully. I have many fond memories of being on Oahu and some not so good memories but all these pics bring back all the good memories and many places I visited during my times there. One of the fond memories is of all the fresh seafood out there and discovering Ahi and poke. OMG, I love the fresh seafood over there and while we have good fresh seafood here on the coast, I love the seafood over there more for some reason. Yesterday I stopped at a 'Hawaiian' food truck near my house and almost walked away because it was run by a haole and her mixed partner that looked more white than Hawaiian. I got the poke bowl and needless to say it wasn't nearly as good as what one would get over there and I was disappointed. I doubt I'll ever go back for military, but I plan on going back and exploring the other islands in the future.
    Redoubt likes this.
  16. Redoubt

Redoubt DEBT FREE

Oddometer:
    I'd live in a van again if I didn't have pets. The cost of rent is insane and homes are made of popsicle sticks yet command the highest home prices in the Union.

I think a 300cc xmax or Forza would be perfect. I really haven't experienced much sea food as my wife isn't into it. I love fried calamari though.

Planning on going the other islands next year.

In other news the Honda PCX reached it 15,000 mile service. Time to give it a long break and ride the Vstrom. I'll check off one maintenance item a week to drag it out. I was running late for work this morning and the Vstrom made the difference.

IMG_20200804_074532.jpg
    Chillis, ydarg and Baroquenride like this.
  17. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    Some thoughts and a few suggestions from a lifelong Hawaii resident that just found this thread. I can identify most of your coastal pictures, sometimes within two or three feet. Good shots, too.

It appears you're a vet and that's okay, but be aware that being "obviously" military (active or ex-, whatever) is a branding you should consider to avoid. Too many such have made unpopular fools of themselves. The stickers on your bike bags characterize you... just a thought, particularly while you're on the West Side.

Another thought about the bike, and going to scenic places in general. I learned long ago, the simple, single rule of parking in well-visited spots: Don't carry more than you can afford to lose. Nowadays, that's a driver's license, one credit card and a couple bucks. Doesn't matter if your car's locked, or your stuff is out of sight under a seat, locked in the trunk, or stashed in you panniers.

If you're a vet, you *might* be able to access places which civilians cannot. I doubt it, but one can try. There are great spots on federal property that are inaccessible to most.

Be cool, don't be loud, blend.

Prices are reedonkulous and will not go down. Get used to it. I've known a number of service members posted for a short tour that would have loved to stay or return, but unless your rank is pretty high, you won't be able to afford it. I've been lucky, and frugal, and my family has been here about 170 years. Grandad born in the Kingdom of Hawaii, own property in Waikiki, and so on.

Yes there are crazy many homeless around. "Van camping" by whatever name is not legal though with the homeless it is not strictly enforced. Don't add to those numbers. Camping in general is pretty tight on Oahu but you can try blend in with the meth-heads... I suspect you'll stand out and suggest you not.

Many trails on Oahu cross private property. Respect that. The usual access to the Haiku Stairs is private property but there is a much longer (12 miles?) access to the top that is legal.

Check your spelling of Hawaiian names and places. Some of us are sensitive about that and it emphasizes your "otherness".

Glad you're discovering the nice parts (and others) of Oahu, but the outer islands are far better, though there are localism and homeless issues there too. IMNSHO, things started going downhill in the 1960s when dope arrived. Before then, most people respected and trusted each other. Not paradise, but much better than now.

FOR EVERYONE OFF-ISLAND READING THIS THREAD: visiting Hawaii requires (as of 8/5/2020) a 14-day self-quarantine, meaning that you stay in your designated place of residence and DO NOT leave. If you're out and about, posting on social media how bitchen you are and the places you've gone to, someone will rat on you. I will, given the chance. I'm a cranky old guy riding a BMW touring bike (far too much bike for Oahu) and despite amazingly low COVID numbers to date, cases and fatalities are on the rise. In a previous life surfing all over the islands, I've been tapped on the shoulder a few times by a higher power and reminded of the fragility of life. Respect that.
  18. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honolulubimmer is right. You really have to respect the local culture. Lived at Fort Shafter on O’ahu for 2 years and really did not want to leave....us troops there were called “howlees” that we interpreted probably wrong as “white guys from the mainland”. I got mugged one night for no reason by three locals, 1 non-Hawaiian that had migrated to O’ahu. Just out of basic training and in good shape I came out ahead but saw and understand the resentment of “those strangers” (me) in our ‘hood and learned to respect the Hawaiians and their land.

Arriving in Hawaii 1971 little kids were fishing, and catching fish with poles in the Ala Moana Canal in downtown Waikiki...have been back 5 times in 50 years and each time more concrete downtown and not like it used to be, certainly no fishing out of a concrete canal. Most changes to the worst were from the outside, especially Japanese investors. Would love to move back but not to O’ahu, has it’s beauty but some of the other islands still are more like it used to be. I can totally understand some resentment from the locals from the “invaders”.

Throughly enjoyed the pictures and think I’ve been to each location pictured. Hananuma Bay was my favorite amazing place in 1971 and was there at least once a week for the 2 yrs I was there....now hard to make it thru the lines to get in the bay.
    Chillis, rkover1 and Redoubt like this.
  19. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I agree with Honolulubimmer as well. We used to live in Honolulu, but now we're in Kona on the Big Island. We only travel now (quarantine not withstanding) to Honolulu to visit friends in Mililani. The city has changed much over the years, often not for the better. There are many places there that I miss, and and few that I don't. In the meantime, I'm still exploring and enjoying the Big Island. (Sunsets!) When everything goes back to "normal", I suggest visiting here and enjoying a bit of what has been lost in the big city.

doc
    Chillis likes this.
  20. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    Update from my post in May... COVID has gotten much, much worse here but Hawaii is still better (in that respect alone) than almost everywhere on the mainland.

We got out of lockdown, but now it's partially back. One added item is that military family members must now self-quarantine 14 days. This is not the time to visit the Aloha State. About the only good things to come out of this are that I'm still working (though at age 67 I should have retired), and traffic is much reduced. Waikiki is a ghost town and you can't use any of the State or County beaches, though you can cross them to go in the water. I'm amusing myself off work with some cabinetry.