Exploring Montrose

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by LBW, Jun 28, 2020 at 2:04 PM.

1. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSCF1661.jpg I thought I would post a thread about my rides around Montrose Colorado. I've lived here about 2 years, but am only just now getting around to exploring the surrounding area. I have a big BMW GSA, but not much experience off road, so I acquired and (extensively) modified my little KTM so I could go to places like the Uncomphagre plateau and eventually Moab. This first ride was in early May after the snow had melted off of the plateau; I went out Dave Wood road, through Sanborn Park to Norwood, then came back through Naturita to divide road, highway 90, then home. DSCF1622.jpg DSCF1622.jpg DSCF1623.jpg DSCF1626.jpg DSCF1631.jpg DSCF1634.jpg DSCF1636.jpg DSCF1643.jpg DSCF1654.jpg
  2. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the next trip I went back out highway 90 to divide road which I rode all the way to highway 141 near Gateway. 93 miles of dirt road, then 60 miles on the asphalt at 70 miles per hour against a (very hot) headwind home. I enjoyed the dirt road, but figured I would go back to the BMW for my next ride. It's way more comfortable on the slab, and all of the stuff I've ridden so far seems doable on the beamer.

DSCF1794.jpg DSCF1795.jpg DSCF1815.jpg DSCF1817.jpg DSCF1829.jpg DSCF1830.jpg DSCF1836.jpg DSCF1833.jpg
  3. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice photos..thanks for posting. Do the Rimrocker trail and post up..I'm looking for some current beta for a September trip hopefully....
  4. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On June 13th I took the BMW and rode out to the Grand Mesa south east of Grand Junction; I rode up Land's End road, then on the mesa to highway 65 and back home through Hotchkiss and Delta. The BMW was great on this dirt road.

DSCF1838.jpg DSCF1840.jpg DSCF1841.jpg DSCF1844.jpg DSCF1846.jpg DSCF1847.jpg DSCF1850.jpg DSCF1853.jpg DSCF1857.jpg
    Chillis, popscycle, lvscrvs and 4 others like this.
  5. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am working on getting better off road. Goal is to go to Moab via John Brown canyon, do the white rim trail, then come back on the rim rocker trail. I'm shooting for September or (more likely) October.
  6. tellicotom

Oddometer:
    Sounds good! I'm hoping to do the TAT from Trinidad to near Dove Creek, then Montezuma Canyon to Monticello, checkout the Needles District, maybe redo Lockhart Basin to Moab, then the White Rim Trail and return to Montrose via he Rimrocker...
  7. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This weekend I had off and the wife was in Texas, so I hopped on the big bike and headed off, with no particular place to go. I took the aluminum paniers off so that if I dropped it I wouldn't scratch anything up. I went over Keebler pass to Crested Bute; again, not anything technically challenging, but very scenic.

200626_BMW_on_Kebler_pass_road_1_(1_of_1).jpg 200626_BMW_on_Kebler_pass_road_2_(1_of_1).jpg 171123_Angel_Peak_2_(1_of_1).jpg

I was gonna stop in Crested Bute for dinner, but that whole town was packed. Every conceivable place you might imagine parking a vehicle was occupied and people wandering around like zombies. I got claustrophobic just looking at it so didn't end up stopping. I pushed on south. While going through Almont I noticed a Hotel / restaurant / bar that looked a little seedy, but there were two sherif's deputies parked outside, so I figured how bad could it be? I turned around and went back and parked the bike in the back of a gravel parking lot near the two sheriffs. When I got off the bike and started going in one of them called out to me; turns out she's one of my patients. We had a good conversation - she recommended not going up to Taylor Park like I had thought about doing as it was full of Texan's with their 5th wheels and motorhomes. She did say the food at this place was pretty good although she agreed the place is a little seedy. I went on in and sat in the patio and had this delicious cheeseburger.
    Project Mayhem and wobbly one like this.
  8. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After supper, I got back on the bike and headed south. I gassed up in Gunnison, then rode on in to Lake City. I noticed that a lot of the sites where you would do dispersed camping were occupied. I went through Lake City and on south a few miles on the road to Cinnamon Pass to a national forest service campground I had stayed at before. I got there as the sun was going down. As I slowly motored through the campground I noticed that all of the sites were occupied. I was beginning to think I would have to rent a room in Lake City when I found the last site that was empty. As soon as I stopped to look at it the campground host showed up and took my 16 dollars and I was set for the evening.
    200626_Going_to_Lake_City_1_(1_of_1).jpg 200626_Going_to_Lake_City_2_(1_of_1).jpg 200626_Camp_1_(1_of_1).jpg
  9. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The next morning I got up before dawn and packed it all back on the bike and went in to Lake City and had some breakfast. After that I rode over Slumgillion Pass. I turned off on forest road 788 and rode that for a few miles; it seems like one more appropriately done on the KTM. After that I got back on the highway and went down to Creed, South Fork, over Wolf Creek pass to Pagossa Springs (also absurdly packed with people), then home over Coal Bank, Molas, and Red Mountain passes. After all of that I was pretty but sore and decided that the next trip will be more dirt oriented and on the KTM.

200626_Leaving_Lake_City_(1_of_1).jpg 200626_Leaving_Lake_City2_(1_of_1).jpg 200627_Slumgillion_Pass_1_(1_of_1).jpg 200627_Slumgillion_Pass_2_(1_of_1).jpg 200627_Slumgillion_Pass_3_(1_of_1).jpg 200627_Slumgillion_Pass_4_(1_of_1).jpg
    bergy, Chillis, shinkle23 and 4 others like this.
  10. wobbly one

wobbly one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics LBW - well done!
  11. tellicotom

Oddometer:
    Great pics..thanks for posting!
  12. Chadwickp

Chadwickp n00b

Oddometer:
    Amazing!
  13. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures LBW! Such a nice area. I use Montrose for home base when I am spending time in CO. Close to Moab, Black Canyon, Grand Mesa and such a nice friendly town, not too big but big enough.

Lots of great places to eat and stay and they used to have a real nice Artwalk event downtown. I wonder if that has survived the CO-19 situation?
  14. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far so good, for the most part. One of my favorite restaurants downtown (The Vine) has closed for good, but most of the rest are still open. Drive in / eat outside burger places are thriving. I hope they all survive the next round of this virus.