Exploring the Trans - Wisconsin trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2008.

1. TheGuy

TheGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    Too bad winter doesn't come with an off switch.
  2. Estydeez

Estydeez n00b

Oddometer:
    Pretty pumped. I'm planning to ride the trail this summer. I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to get out and do it, but at the latest the week of the July 4th. It'll be the first dual sport ride my '13 690 ER has ever seen. It's taken me a while to save up for the gear to do the ride.

Currently waiting on parts. Once I have them, it's going to be nearly impossible to focus at work.

...ok it's already nearly impossible to focus at work.
  3. TigerXC

TigerXC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to do a quick run up the TWAT over the long weekend. We did it in three days, south to north all on big bikes. My 17 year old son on a Tiger 800XC, a Canadian friend on his Versys 1000 and me on my 1190R.

It was perfect riding weather.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The route is absolutely phenomenal. It has a nice mix of country roads, dirt roads and ATV trails. While nothing overly technically difficult there are some patches of deep sand and some of the ATV trails are heavily washboarded by the 4 wheelers. We even had a few water crossings!

We stopped in Black River Falls the first night and Bolder Lodge on Ghost Lake the second.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

We had a mandatory stop at the Delta Diner, great food…I recommend the PBLT.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

We made it to Point Detour in good time to turn around and make it back to Chicago, on roads, the same day.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I'll definitely run this route again later this summer, most likely on my 690R.

Big shout out to Chad Berger who has done an excellent job of laying out this track.
  4. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Glad you had fun Tim! You hit my favorite spots, Boulder Lodge and the Delta Diner. You are right, the PBLT is incredible! I really can't wait to get up there again.

How did the big Versys handle the ATV trails?
  5. TigerXC

TigerXC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Versys you ask?? Its a great bike. His is a 2014 he bought about 1 month ago. He still had the original Pirelli Scorpion tires on it…so he was 'cautious' though the loose sand sections…something I wish my son had a little more of as I watched him fishtailing through the sand on my Tiger.
  6. rj95lss

rj95lss still searching...

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing about the Versus on the tires in the sandy sections.

Glad you guys had fun, seeing the pics makes me miss the TWAT and living back in the Midwest.
  7. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the TWAT a couple years ago on a CRF250L. That bike is gone so I just did it again in a Tacoma. :D Met 4 guys from Chicago at Delta Diner that had just done it from Thorp north. Watch those stairs at Point Detour. They need some work:

[​IMG]
  8. TigerXC

TigerXC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watch those stairs at Point Detour. They need some work:

Yeah, they are blocked off...but there is an easy route to the side down the slope to the rocks below.
  9. jeepster33

jeepster33 streaming bits Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of doing the TWAT this fall - I am looking at the week of September 28th. I looked around and I saw some of the ATV trails (Clark & Jackson county) close October 15th and October 31st. Is the end of September/beginning of October a good time to go? I am thinking there would be cooler temps and less bugs.
    Just asking in case I am not thinking of something important like the Delta Diner would be closed ! :becca
  10. rj95lss

rj95lss still searching...

Oddometer:
    We did some of it in the snow. Lots of fun. The softer compound tires you have the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, good to know! Thanks! It'd also be great to find others to come along, anyone who doesn't mind pottering along at a beginners pace, perhaps send me a PM :)
  12. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Minnesota MOTOrbiker

Oddometer:
    I asked this question in the GPS forum and the answer was yes but since then I've been reading some conflicting information. Can anyone tell me if I'll need a Wisconsin DNR trail pass to ride the TWAT? The Lone Wolf Expedition site says that trail stickers are not required for any of the route. I'm not opposed to buying a pass and supporting the sport, but I'm going with a group of riders next week and I'd like to tell them definitively yes or no on the trail sticker.
  13. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If you ride the Perkinstown Motorized Trail you will need an OHM sticker. Also, if you branch off onto any other designated trail (not ATV route) (Dead Horse Run or an ATV trail where OHMs are permitted as examples) you will need an OHM permit. Otherwise it is pretty much a road ride which does not require an OHM permit.

I'm the guy that worked on the legislation for the OHM program so I know of what I speak. If you are from out of state, you can buy the resident sticker on "WI DNR Go Wild" since there is no out of state sticker available yet (but there will be one). This is a great deal because you get two years for the cost of one year out of state once they become available.
  14. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Minnesota MOTOrbiker

Oddometer:

Thanks for the reply Cannonshot!
  15. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally found time to ride the northern half! Awesome trails, thanks for planning this all out! TW200 was the perfect companion for this, at my slow speeds :D

TW200_Trail_Foggy_800.jpg
  16. cyclefarm

cyclefarm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but:

I'm gonna ride the TWAT northern 1/2 this weekend for the first time. I have the Lone Wolf gps tracks. Some on here have commented they are mostly roads. I think I want mostly ATV and off road trails if possible. Where can I get gps tracks for those? Or do I have to wing it and use DNR maps?
  17. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. cyclefarm

cyclefarm Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. ro919

ro919 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading out on Sunday from the burbs of Chicago, weather looks great, totally psyched, will report back on any issues or closures.
    rokklym and TigerXC like this.
  20. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
    How many days can I realistically expect to ride the route?

I might be going solo this weekend. I have 4 days off from work. I'm about a 1/2 day travel to the start and another 1/2 day home. That gives me 3 days to complete the route.