Exploring the Trans - Wisconsin trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2008.

1. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We left the Chicago burbs at 7am Friday morning, reached the "Point of Beginning" at 11am Friday, and reached Cornucopia at noon on Sunday. We camped in Leon Valley on Friday Night and near Clam Lake on Saturday night. We were both home by 11pm Sunday evening after 400 miles of interstate.

We had a few slowdowns due to issues with my friend's inexpensive luggage/gear so we did skip a few areas in order to keep on schedule.
  2. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think that it really depends on your riding style. for me, to go from the start to the end in 2 days would not be fun.
    to be honest, i have not ridden the entire thing. But i have ridden from the beginning to Sparta. I think my wife and I did that much in 2.5 days (2 up). But we just putter along and stopped to hike at Wildcat Mt. State park. We also took some side roads here and there that took away from our 'route' time.

If you are concerned about the time you have, i would suggest just starting it and riding as far and as fast as you want. if you don't make the whole thing, then it gives you some fodder for another ride.

The good news is, you don't have to ride as far to get home after you finish as I (or BrittC) did.
  3. chrisnack

chrisnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread/info... plan on doing the route next month after the trails open with 3 other buddies..
  4. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Glad to see this thread has been revived. This ride is on my list at some point this summer!
    9Realms likes this.
  5. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Isn't this a central Forum report or at the most Day Trippin'?
  6. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Yeah, probably belongs in Day Trippin'. Good call.
  7. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Given it is 10yrs old, I think it was made in Epic before the current rules exist.
    9Realms, BLucare and Bultaco206 like this.
  8. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    I just thought, it had been moved; or maybe Chad added a couple thousand miles of off road!
    rokklym likes this.
  9. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, 2 buddies and I are currently doing the trail... we are currently near Lady Smith. After all the rain and a bad crash on the sand, we opted for paved roads and drove through 2 hours of rain.

Planning to potentially pick the trail back up tomorrow but wanted to know how much more sand there is? Gravel is fine, but I hurt my ribs pretty good and not sure if i can take another hit.

Any help would be appreciated!
  10. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    There isn't much sand until you get towards the end, just past the Delta Diner.

11. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    hmmm as in more sand? we hit a bunch of it on the way here
  12. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I remember right, it's the very last 1/8 or so of the trip...whooo-eee that sand was deep and seemingly never-ending.

Whatever you do, don't skip the Delta Dinner though! :)
    9Realms likes this.
  13. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We hit a lot of sand around Hatfield. Not sure if that’s new or not.

I seem to have hurt my wrist pretty good, so I might have to come back another time to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  14. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    This one bent the crash bars...

[​IMG]

15. mrdawson

mrdawson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wife and I just finished it today. We were a few days ahead by looks of things. We did sort of a strange route I guess.
    Started out in Eau Claire. Rode the river road to Galena. Stayed a few days there then started the trail up.
    Riding an old KLR 650 with pretty much worn out shinko 705s. Wife on TW200 with some trail-wings. No issues really besides the sand on the ATV trails near Black River Falls. Had one good crash there each. Made it to Hawkins, then took the pavement to Bayfield. Stayed 2 nights there waiting out the rain. Took pavement to Cornucopia and did the trail in reverse back to Hawkins. Then pavement back to Eau Claire.

No Major detours.
    -One bridge out with a pretty easy water crossing to get around.
    -Another bridge out on deer tick road that we had to double back and detour around. No sign of them ever planning to fix that bridge.
    -Then there was a section of old forest road that is pretty much completely overgrown and you're basically hugging the tank, bulldozing through tree branches with the top of your head (forest road 327).

barn.jpg camp.jpg camp2.jpg delta.jpg
    9Realms, MadRider777 and BLucare like this.
  16. mrdawson

mrdawson Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. mrdawson

mrdawson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    trail.jpg waterx.jpg
    Bultaco206, 9Realms and BLucare like this.
  18. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    Yeah must have just missed you, the trails were crap Saturday with all that rain. We never a single sole on any of the trails.

We didn’t stop at that barn and were commenting on it the whole time afterwards! It was so cool to see!!

You mean this bridge out?

[​IMG]

BLucare likes this.
  19. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    I ended up coming home Sunday as I bruised my ribs pretty bad and messed up my shoulder in my crash. I plan on going back to finish it later this year.

20. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun. This ride is on my list for this year at some point, if anyone is planning on going (or going again) :thumb