Exploring the Trans - Wisconsin trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2008.

1. mrdawson

mrdawson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe so yea. No issue riding around the side of that one. The one on deer tick road there is no way to easily bypass, had to double back and around. No big deal, another few miles and back on main route.

Sucks about the crash. Rest up and get back out. Was amazed I didn't have more issues with the crappy tires.
  2. chrisnack

chrisnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Avoiding the rain helped a lot for sure. So much rain Saturday, hours and hours of riding in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  3. Westerly_Wind

Westerly_Wind Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I could start Aug 18th ending up at the CADVR rally mid week
  4. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    We're going back to finish it later this year, not sure when yet though.
  5. mrdawson

mrdawson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd go again. But will be gone. Moving back to Canada.
    chrisnack likes this.
  6. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    That's a possibility. I'm doing the MABDR at some point in late August or early September, though, so that might get in the way. I'll keep an eye on this thread as we get into summer.
  7. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    MABDR looks great! Hell all of those look great ;)
    BLucare likes this.
  8. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran the first half of the trail the weekend of June 1-3. Started friday night in Dubuque, IA at the Redstone inn.

IMG_0988.jpg

The trail through Iowa was fantastic, as was most of the SW Wisconsin route. I was travelling solo and don't recall seeing another bike on the same route the entire weekend.

IMG_1025.jpg IMG_1035.jpg
    9Realms and Bultaco206 like this.
  9. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Came across the washed out bridge but no problem going through the side route via the ditch.
    IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1048.jpg

A few areas of the trail were blocked by downed trees. This location was especially difficult to turn around as the road was steep, the shoulder even steeper, loose gravel and the road narrow. I figured this would be the first place I'd dump the bike, but kept it upright! The flies were thick here.

IMG_1027.jpg
    9Realms, Bultaco206 and RiderRick like this.
  10. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I camped Saturday night in Soldiers Grove. I was the only camper in the entire place. Dinner is worth the trip to the Driftless Cafe in Viroqua, WI, not far from Soldiers Grove.

The route through Black River Falls, WI is where the ATV trails start. This is where I had planned to end my first half Sunday afternoon before heading home and then coming back another weekend to finish the second half. While running down a fairly solid gravel road I came across a very loose section of road caused by ATVs turning across the road onto their trail system. Those ATV tires really chew up the road making it deep and soft. I had too much speed going into that and lost it.
    IMG_1070.jpg

No damage to the bike but WOW did that leave a massive hematoma on my right hip. Thankful to be wearing all the right gear to avoid abrasions, but the force of hitting that gravel on my hip quickly resulted in a softball size contusion. Did I mention it hurt like heck too? Ouch!

I had another hour on that soft gravel before getting to solid surface and making my way home. It would be a two hour ride on the highway.

I was almost home, just 26 miles to go and the pain in my right hip was really getting intense with no easy way to adjust while riding to ease the pain. I started feeling light headed and nauseous and the little voice in my head said this is a bad place to have an issue so let's pull over to the should and take a break.

The traffic was fairly heavy and I signaled to the right and pulled onto the highway shoulder...apparently I didn't quite make it to a stop before passing out (combination of dehydration and Vasovagal syncope, which can cause fainting due to your body overreacting to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or distress. In my case it was the pooling of blood in that large hematoma on my hip). Observers tell me I pulled onto the shoulder and then slumped over the handlebars veering across two lanes of highway (somehow missing all the cars) and slid into the middle ditch of the highway. Must have been quite a site as there was quickly a dozen people stopping to check on me. Two very nice fellows picked up my bike and rode it out of the steep ditch to the road side.

IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1097.PNG

Very little damage to the bike other than a crushed rear pannier, broken hand guard, bent handlebar and dirt and grass stuffed everywhere.
    9Realms and Suncoaster like this.
  11. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again, glad to be wearing all the right gear! Ripped holes in the pants, jacket and gloves. Tore off the face shield, scratched up the helmet and mangled my sunglasses. However, not a single scratch or bruise from that slide, which was just amazing given the severity of it. The concerned bystanders was pretty extreme though, so it must have been quite a view when I went down. Wish I had a dash cam video of it.

Klim Overland pants after the second crash and grass stains on the gloves.
    IMG_1086.jpg

Didn't take long for the state patrol to arrive and then an ambulance. Not knowing if my earlier hip injury was serious, I opted for transport to the hospital for CT scans and a night of observation. CT scan below shows the large hematoma on the right hip (left side of image). Other than bruising (rib cage on down to the knees) and a sore hip, all was fine. The medical bills totaled more than $26,000 for that episode! Glad to have good health insurance.

IMG_1099.png

I highly recommend the route but stress the importance of wearing the right gear and plan to drop your bike once or twice. The speeds are slow on those gravel trails, but being prepared will make a difference. I will finish the second half some day...and from what I hear the soft sand will be worse. I think I'll leave the big bike at home and take the Yamaha XT250!
    9Realms likes this.
  12. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    WOW, that was quite a finish to the trip! Sorry to hear about the injuries and the medical bills! I hope you get a chance to get out and finish the trail soon.
  13. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    We finished the TWAT on the 2nd day of our last trip. we did a lot of sand avoidance but we did stop at the Delta Diner (closed Monday morning unfortunately) and we made it to Point Detour. There are a lot of great roads up there, so we might have to expand our map a bit to include some more of them.

IMG_1139.jpg IMG_1170.jpg
    9Realms likes this.
  14. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    I’ve crashed a number of times over two attempts with my R1200Gs. It’s doable but a smalle biker would be easier. A lot of sand up north. We finished the trail Friday night. The end is disappointing and no point. End in Cornucopia and call it good. Other wise it’s more sand and gravel to end at a dead end with no lake view.

Delta diner was awesome!

Gear makes a huge difference. My opinion if you don’t have the good d3o armor buy new gear. That stuff has saved me every time.

I had a good crash head first into some trees last week on the trail. Didn’t feel great.
    So new helmet and ordered a Leatt neck brace.

[​IMG]

This part of the trail was ridiculous you couldn’t see anything. That’s when I crashed. Huge rut in the center too.

[​IMG]

The bridge was cool though.

[​IMG]

15. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our portrait above was at the end point. we found a small trail that led down to the lake. There was a stairway at one point, but that was gone so we had to scramble down a steep bank clinging to roots and rocks.
  16. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    Yeah I didn’t bother with that... I wanted to have my bike on the beach after all the sand!

17. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, i was surprised by the end. I thought I had seen other pictures with a sandy beach leading into the water, but it was not there. I thought I might be able to dip my tire in the water, but not there.
    it was actually a little creepy because it was so deserted and remote. We thought we heard voices from the parking lot, so we scrambled back to the bike and there was nobody around. Probably people at the campground.
  18. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there was a campground off to the left :)
  19. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, Chris, I didn't check the posting name until just now. How are you doing? Ribs all better?
  20. chrisnack

Oddometer:
    Haha, yeah it's me :)

ribs are good... neck is sore from the crash into the trees though :) me + twat + r1200gs = crashing

haha