Exploring the Trans - Wisconsin trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2008.

1. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    These yahoos will be about four miles from my cabin, Fourth of July week. I can't say I'm very happy about it.
  2. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an NC700X and a G650Gs and I'll be selling one next spring. I'm leaning toward keeping the NC, but if it can't handle this trail which I plan on doing next summer, then I may keep the GS instead. I saw that someone did it on a Strom and it struggled a bit. Which ever bike I keep will be getting a set of Shinko 705s. Any thoughts?
  3. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did most of the trail on a Super Tenere on Shinko 805's and only skipped the section near Delta Diner due to time constraints. The NC700X is so much lighter that I think it should not be a problem though 705's will get squirrley in soft sand. I like the 805's on pavement or off (especially for their low price) and they served me very well on multiple bikes.
  4. berksglh

berksglh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did most of the trail on my 2015 vstrom 1000 with 804/805's. I went off trail north of Perkenstown near Hwy 8. Was an extreemly wet year and a few huge storms had gone through week before. First night on the trail we had tornadoes south of thorp and torrential rain where I was suppose to camp.

I went sideways through wet swampy deep sand ponds near Blackriver falls. Almost put her down several times, but made it through with a slight pulled groin.

Only reason i ended up going off trail was it was getting to cold to camp wet with no dry wood available and the trails were better suited to a jet ski. Second night it got down to 46F and I was soaked. Week prior it was mid 80's and I wasnt packed for cold. Not my cup of tea, and not what I bought the bike to go through. Give me a 450 and 80F or warmer and I'll ride that swampy stuff all day.

Some day in better dryer weather I plan to attempt the trail again on the strom. Ill likely pick a tire better then the Shinkos. I've decided I dont like paddle like rear wheel and the front got a LOUD ringing at speed after 3000 miles.
    20180905_173622.jpg 20180904_194139.jpg
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  5. gmtech

gmtech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if anyone wants to plan doing this in the spring or sections of this PM id like to join on a 12 tenere . im about hour south of the start of the trail