Exploring the Trans - Wisconsin trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2008.

1. kres

kres Arrrrrrrrr! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm putting together a list of places to ride for 2 weeks next year. (2 Kids, you gotta plan in advance...) Wisconsin was not on my list... now it is. I'm looking forward to your tracks.

Great report, and good lookn' ride. Love your multi-exposure work.

2. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Like I said, I went to ride a portion of the trail today.

[​IMG]

I met up with Mark a.k.a. bigdogadventures early this morning in Soldiers Grove Wisconsin. Mark was on day #2 of the T.W.A.T. ride, just checking it out for me and making sure the track is good.

I think he approved of the route.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This section of the trail is my "Supermoto" route. Its part of a route that I mapped and used for several group rides, its pretty easy but very scenic. There are lots of neat farms and old houses and barns and pretty much just a mellow, scenic ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I brought my digital slr, 3 lenses, a bunch of memory cards and no battery! At least I brought a backup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route goes through Wildcat mountain so you can get your twisty fix. Mark got some great helmet cam footage of this road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of these bikers wanted to trade their bikes for Marks KLR
    [​IMG]

We were getting close to Cataract and the heavens opened up and Mark spotted this great shelter you we pulled the bikes in and waited out the storm.

[​IMG]

We spent almost 2 hours here. Mark made dinner and we BS'd a bunch.

Mark and I split up and he headed north and I went south towards home. From the looks of the sky, the storm had a little more for me.
    [​IMG]

you think we got some rain??
    [​IMG]

Holy crap! The weather service warnings on the radio tonight said "Turn around, don't drown. as little as 2 feet of water over the road can take your vehicle away". Probably a good thing I didn't cross this!

[​IMG]

Mark, it was a pleasure riding with ya, can't wait to see your pics and video!
  3. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    <object height="350" width="425">
    flood water video.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gidNxpzulxA"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gidNxpzulxA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
    </object>
  4. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great time guys. Can't wait to ride it. 2HE
  5. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For-sure, the cabin is just before Hayward close to there.

We have to get a detailed map of this ride. Buddies of mine ride from Hayward to Bayfield off road all the time and I want to know the exact route. Give it up man!

Hipster just bought a new KTM 990 adventurer that I'm sure is itching to do this ride.:rilla
  6. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I got a map for ya, you just gotta come back and get it!! :D

Hipster is going to know all about the trail quite soon!
  7. Hardrocker

Hardrocker Keep ur feet on the pegs

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed reading your report. We have to be pretty imaginative to figure out good dual-sport rides living in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and you have done a great job providing one that we can all enjoy. The catchy name also helps to sell the route! Great Job!:clap

Looks like it would have been easy to do on your DL, or are you reserving that for high speed twisties around home?
  8. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    If the DL had knobbies, I MIGHT think about taking it, but the DR is the right bike for this ride. I've crashed the DR plenty of times and its tough. The Strom hasn't been down and I'm hoping to keep it that way, it doesn't feel crashable. :lol3
  9. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    Great Report, nice writing and pics.:thumb

Thanks for doing this.:ricky

Jim​
  10. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    So, how was your ride??? I can't wait to see your photos from your trip!
  11. WJL75

WJL75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend and I set out a couple of weeks ago to hit the trail from Millston north. We changed some of the route to speed up the trip. Now we know that we are not fast enough to do the whole trail in just a three day weekend.

Here are a few pics:

We met GhostriderGS on his way to the BMW rally out west. A very nice guy and a member here.
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Millston to camp for the night, but got food at Scooter's...the bikes called us in...
    [​IMG]

Somewhere along the route an the eagle has landed...and got a rabbit.
    [​IMG]

Me somewhere near Clam Lake.

[​IMG]

Near Lake Superior
    [​IMG]

It was a very good weekend of riding. 1000 miles in two and a half days of road, dirt and gravel. Lots of nice people and great views of Wisconsin from a perspective few get to see.

Oh yea...got pulled over twice in two hours on the final day. One ticket, and one warning.
  12. CageFreeGuzziman

CageFreeGuzziman Marginal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the RR and GREAT pics!
    This excellent PO shot belongs in the Go Postal thread. . .
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143102
  13. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    Hi Chad,

How many riders have taken the whole route? :ricky

With my zigzag to the Wisconsin Guzzi Rally and getting lost (newby to Street Pilot 2610) I totaled 1,000 miles plus 300 miles round trip to get to the trail head.:thumb

Hit F11 on your keyboard for full screen.

Cheers,
    Santa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PanamaZook likes this.
  15. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Chad for putting this great route together. I hope the Riders in Illinois or Iowa have a connecting trail someday!

See more photos HERE:
  17. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed it, but did the route get posted?
  18. WJL75

WJL75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the file directly from Chad.

The following is from his website:

http://www.lonewolfexpeditions.com/twat.html

"With the help of a couple great GPS experts, the file is now complete and available. Please
    email me at chad@lonewolfexpeditions.com and ask for the TWT file. The GPS file will be
    free, although paypal donations would be accepted. I have 3 years of exploring and countless
    hours of mapping tied up in this little ride and although I do it all for fun, it has still cost me
    quite a bit."
  19. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:

The Diner is at Delta Wisconsin, which is about 30 miles southwest of Ashland. The hours of operation are 8AM to 3 PM. The Twt rides goes right by there. Delta has no gas. Here is their website: http://www.deltadiner.com/history.html

Chad has you routed out in the middle of nowhere. Best idea would be to look at the file and route it out at home on a paper map. I carried my Jet Boil and coffee. Glad I did.

From Sparta north it seemed like 95 per cent gravel. The ATV trails were a hoot.

From Sparta south it seemed like 70 per cent gravel. Some very nice roads near the Mississippi River. One section just north of Sparta was all technical sugar sand. Chad likes it with his DR, my GS's front wheel was like a ski and I just powered on in first gear.

[​IMG]

Above: Old church at Thorp Wisconsin,
    Below: my favorite part of the whole ride, National Forest winter trail south of Perkinstown, Wisconsin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perkinstown old school house​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I seen much wildlife including eagle, fox, cranes and of course deer.​

[​IMG]

Like in most areas of the country, snowmobiles, ATV and and motorcycles are all governed under different laws as which trails you can run. It is governed by trail funds, lobbies, gas tax registration fees and so forth. ATV /snowmobile trails are trails and ATV/ snowmobile routes are feeder roads that route the vehicles from one trail to another or to the local town. I only seen about a dozen ATV the whole trip until the weekend at Black River Falls which I seen a few groups.​

[​IMG]

If you note the line on my GPS and the black icon of where I am located, you will know why you should check out the route on your Wisconsin Gazetteer. Like I said, I know very little about my GPS (which was a street version and not a trail version). My GPS got me where I wanted to go, but their was some errors in the route that need to be recorded and corrected. So bring a paper and note down the typos. I did some of my nice riding while I was lost. The long Rail Road bridge was not on my route but I found it on one of my many times I was lost. Stockfarm Bridge located on the banks of the Chippewa River about 11 miles southwest of Glidden. Nice NF campground nearby.

http://www.fs.fed /rec/camping/index.html

http://www.watva.org

http://www.fs.fed.us/nf/rec/camping/map

[​IMG]

I rode the route on a twenty year old GS equipped with TKC80 tires, and I had no problems. The ride would of been an issue for me with my heavy R1150GS. I rode the route in dry weather which helps out on the mud area, but does not help in the sand boxes.​

[​IMG]