Exploring the Trans - Wisconsin trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2008.

1. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in if we are organizing a ride... :freaky
  2. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
  4. WJL75

WJL75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool. My friends and I are definately riding it again this year.

:clap :clap :clap
  5. Happy Buddha

Happy Buddha Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will ride THE TWAT! Thanks for the Facebook addition too.
  6. Silverfox2173

Silverfox2173 Dead Ted

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if anyone has ridden the T.W.A.T. yet this year? I am looking for a heads up on any trail closures.
  7. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Jackson County trails ( which aren't used on the TWT, but nearby ) are currently closed.
    http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/forestry/atv.htm

Clark County atv trails opened on May 1st, please tread lightly in wet areas or trails will get closed!
    http://www.co.clark.wi.us/ClarkCounty/Departments/forestryparks/RecTrails/ATV.asp

The Knobby Ridge singletrack trails are partially open:
    Knobby Ridge Trails Only Partially Open On May 1st! DUE TO WET CONDITIONS AND REQUIRED TRAIL MAINTENANCE NEEDS, ALL MOTORCYCLE TRAILS
    EAST OF BACHELORS AVE WILL REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. ALL MOTORCYCLE TRAILS WEST OF BACHELORS AVE WILL OPEN ON MAY 1ST.

Most people wouldn't want to ride those trails on a loaded adv bike anyways!

Not sure about the Perkinstown trail as of yet, their site isn't updated often.
    You can call the Medford Ranger district at ph:715-748-4875 Mon-Fri

For more detailed trail info, check out this excellent thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413784

95% of the Trans Wisconsin trail is on public roads so most of it should be OK to run. I rode about 50 miles of it on Friday and there seemed to be alot of new loose gravel, you know the kind that feels sketchy no matter what.

[​IMG]

Things are finally starting to get green again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Chad and the reminder to verify.
  9. klrmtn

klrmtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an update, aGreyMan and myself did most of the ride this last weekend. We ended up skipping the middle third so that aGreyMan's tire would last for the last days ride. He was riding bald most of they way. Anyway, route 133 just south of Cassville is completely closed. We went to investigate and there was absolutely no way through. We happened to meet a local who redirected us. Here is a map showing how you might want to reroute to get past the impassable section.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the route was perfect, there was some construction, but there were no additional reroutes on the sections we rode. The last 125 miles of trail were awesome, it was very dry with no trail closures that I saw. The sand was deep, the gravel was dusty, but it was great.
    Thanks Chad.
    :clap:freaky
  10. redlightracer

redlightracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I Have a 08 KLR 650 and a friend and I are planning on doing this in late July but I don't think my tires are going to make it that long so I was wondering what a good tire would be for this trip. I do mostly road riding but want to do more trail stuff but since i use it to commute to work for an hour a day i need something good on the road. Any suggestions would be great.
  11. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I think you're going to have a hard time finding a tire that's suitable for the TWT and handle an hour's worth of pavement each (work) day. Based on Chad's ride report, I'd guess a DOT-legal MT21 or D606 would work pretty well but then those tires wouldn't be good on the ride to work & home. Maybe some TKCs? I broke down and bought a second set of wheels (for my DR350SE). I run Kenda K761s on the pavement and MT21s off road. I suspect others will posts with some additional thoughts.
  12. redlightracer

redlightracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's what I was afraid of, i guess i need to look in to getting a second set of wheels or at least a second set of tires...man this starts to add up pretty fast.
  13. WJL75

WJL75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran it last year on my 08 KLR with stock tires and did not have any problems. Running it again next weekend too.
  14. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
  15. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Last fall when I ran the TWT I started thinking it would be a good idea to have a return track from Cornucopia back down to Highway 70. This would be great for riders heading south after hiting the end of the TWT. I know the area pretty well so it was easy to come up with something I think we will all enjoy doing. I also added lots of camping opportunities (6) for ADV riders looking for a spot to spend the night.

With Chad's approval. . . . .I will make the tracks available to anyone interested in a little more fun on there way home.

I will be riding the tracks (and other stuff) next week to get the bugs out. Should have them available shortly after that. (No internet at my Cabin so it will need to wait until I get home on June 7th.)

Cheers, Randy
  16. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Hey Randy,
    That sounds like a good idea! I know alot of people like to swing through Bayfield too, not sure if that will be on your track. There are alot of options for return routes and since everyone is heading in different directions it might make a return route difficult to map out, but a track that highlights soe of the other riding in the area is a good idea.

Tires:
    I like the Dunlop 606's and I usually get 3500 miles out of a rear and a little more out of a front. I would like to try a TKC front / Kenda 270 rear combo. I really like that Kenda rear as a dual sport tire and I got 5500 miles out of my last one. The front Kenda sucks though!
  17. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up! a little re-route just adds to the adventure. :thumb
  18. buffalo

buffalo Great White Buffalo

Oddometer:
    Several friends and I rode this route from Hazel Green to the rotten steps leading to the rocks on Lake Superior. My friends drove their KLR's and I took my r1150gsa. One word of advice, if your taking a big bike like a GS have friends to help you lift it after dumping in the deep sand traps, of which their are many. The ATV trails are chewed up so take care on those areas. Some of the lesser ridden paths have trees down with no way around so be prepaired for some tree hopping. Be watchful for Bears (2), Porcupines, various foul, and the suicidal deer (4). Great ride for anyone with about 3 days to ride one way. Hwy 133 is closed. From Potosi point go north to downtown Potosi hang a left by bank and gas station. Hang another left on cty tk U to Beetown. Hang a left on hwy 81 in Beetown. Your now in Cassville.
  19. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    In Cornucopia today. Sipping on a Late' and eating a blueberry Scone for breakfast. Great weather today but very dry up here. They need rain really bad. Did some wandering yesterday on my way up. Going to be cold and rainy up here after today for the remainder of the week. Will be riding my track today back down to hwy 70. Looks to be a great riding day!!
    Cheers, Randy
  20. Pistola

Pistola Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone who has ridden this route have a suggestion for tire selection? I'm currently riding Tourances with plenty of thread left. Should I use change those out for knobbies like TKC's to do this route?