Exploring the Upper Peninsula - an UPAT trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BuiltnotBought, Sep 12, 2019.

1. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say its my nemesis now. I would say going into it I was very nervous about how my ability to handle it on my size of bike. I am please to say that it was not as tricky as I had feared. What ended up getting me though was the toll that the physical work of riding in sand took on me. I feel like I could handle the sand, just not so much of it:D
    dstutz likes this.
  2. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    On any GS just stick that are way back and hit the gas and sand is no problem..aStand up, are back, and hit it. Get that front tire lightened up and u are fine. Try setting the bike on a lawn tractor - less chance of mirror issues :>)

3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm so glad that you had such a nice ride on the UPAT! Very nice to see someone enjoy it so much. Looking at your pix is giving me a hankering to give it a lap yet this fall. Being immersed in it all for a number of days is a wonderful experience. Great report!
    BuiltnotBought likes this.
  4. mbeardsley

mbeardsley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI, this was why the road was closed near Silver Lake. Not sure if it ever got fixed, as this picture was taken in early June. It was a bit of a blind turn coming downhill IIRC! The forest service wouldn't even allow bicycle access through the area. It's unfortunate as it's a beautiful section.

IMG955712.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_2017.JPG

Many familiar places in your report....

DPAT is another super fun option that doesn't have the drudgery of the UPAT. Figure 8 from the northern lower and eastern half of the UP 900 miles. This was only some of the UP parts.

BuiltnotBought likes this.