Exploring Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdventureDude, Nov 13, 2018.

1. AdventureDude

AdventureDude Explore More

Oddometer:
    My pleasure!
  2. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    Glad I could help!
  3. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow, great write up! I'm surprised we didn't run into each other up there. My wife and I made a rod trip up the Van Isle in July. We stuck mostly to the east coast, Campbell River, Quadra Island, Telegraph Cove, Alert bay, Port Hardy and all in between that and Victoria. Had a great time. And yes I agree, norther Vancouver Is. looks a lot like parts of Alaska. Great place and destination.
  4. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    I did see a few bikes up there, but not many, which surprised me since it's such a beautiful place. I appreciate your remarks!
  5. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for giving us a tour of Vancouver Island! Great pic's and narrative. Very inspiring for sure! I can see the Island from where I live. I have been wanting to ride there and do basically the same thing you did. One question, did you find that you needed to have reservations ahead of time for camping? Thanks again. Now looking forward to reading you other ride report of the S.W.
  6. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your kind words. I decided to make camping reservations for each night just in case. As I was researching I noticed the Provincial Parks down south were packed, but up north it was not so crowded with tent spots empty when I arrived. In fact at Sayward RV Park the tent sites were almost deserted except for two spots. Wonderful grass sites, I highly recommend it.
    Mcgee likes this.
  7. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks AdventureDude!
  8. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    You're very welcome!
  9. Ksc

Ksc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the time and effort you put into your report!
  10. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    My pleasure! It was fun to relive the ride when creating the ride report.
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome rr. you ate miles and still in relax mode.

thanks and i'm adding VI to my list.
  12. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    You won't regret it!
  13. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Good pics. Looks like you enjoyed yourself. Bamfield is worth the ride out to - isolated, beautiful coastline and tiny village. I haven't been to Gold River, so your trip will inspire my journey out there next time on the island.
    Had a good laugh in the first post and thought you may be a tree riding a motorcycle since you 'debarked' aka disembarked. Haha. It's painful to have your bark stripped - ask me how I know.
    Thanks for the ride report. I love Vancouver Island.
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great trip, a lot of the best riding on the Island is off pavement ... Beside the G.L. another option is the Island section of the TCAT, it takes you to the farthest beach on the Northwest side of the island: https://www.graveltravel.ca/index.p...ticle&id=83:tcat-the-island&catid=1&Itemid=71
    An off pavement return route back south is in the works and should be added to the TCAT island section by the summer 2019 season..
  15. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    Yes, if I go back, Bamfield is definitely on my list. Good catch with the wording!
  16. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    Those sound like wonderful options for a return trip, since I love dirt. Thanks for sharing.
  17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Most of the mainline gravel roads run in the bottom of the valleys so you don't get a lot of elevation... The TCAT route takes you through the mountains in a couple spots and over some passes that are over the 2,000' mark.. There are roads that go higher but you may want a lighter bike as they can be quite rough.. The highest I have ridden my motorcycle on the Island is to around 5,300'... The highest summit is around 7,250 which does not seem like much, but some of these mountains have a pretty good vertical rise when starting out closer to sea level..
  18. AdventureDude

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the additional info!