Extra Fuel Tank for G650XC's

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Muckpee, Jan 1, 2009.

?

What is your Color Preference?

1. black

2. white

3. blue

4. transparent

5. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flo_Evans

Flo_Evans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe the dude could at least give someone that knows what they are doing the drawings he has?
  2. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Flo_Evans,
    That'd be like saying to someone who paints a painting "well since it's just sitting on your wall, give it to someone else for free....so they can go and sell it later and make a profit off of it."

One thing to keep in mind here is that this tank was more than likely going to be rotationally molded. There is more to doing that than "just cut some metal and put it in a molding machine.". I work in injection molding myself. Say that the tank were modified so that it could be injection molded, you'd be looking at at least 20-30k in tooling. Rotational molding doesn't see the same forces as injection molding, and could be made cheaper, but still you're looking at several K$ in materials alone. Then you've got to make sure you have a competent machine shop that will build the mold, and a competent molding shop to mold the parts. All this to produce something that already has several low cost options, and the headaches of dealing with shipping, manufacturing defects, warranties, etc etc, and it's no surprise there are so few custom items like this from individuals.

Ok so that's not 1 thing to keep in mind, but it's the reality of it. For the amount it takes to invest in producing a plastic part like that, Muckpee could buy himself some F800GS bikes and have all the range he needs :lol3

Gotta give him credit too for being able to get it as far as he did. I'd honestly like to hear what all happened with everything. It sucks, but trust me...life can get in the way of our hobbies real quick.

Andrew
  3. felix_gt

felix_gt step by step

Oddometer:
    I ordered three, but we need something this month.

I've just ask them for the refund but, .. if they are not reading the emails, how can I let them know that I want the money back?
  4. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    We are supposed to get our money back in the next day or 2. If we are not reimbursed by Tuesday, I'd bet that we will have to call the RCMP. But, I am optimistic.
  5. CoolHands

CoolHands travelling

Oddometer:
    LOL
  6. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    I got my refund today.........I'd rather have the tank
  7. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Amen brother. I'd so much rather have the gas tank. I'm not looking forward to the 500 euro option honestly. I may just get a fuel bladder and suffer the inconvenience.
  8. Tunngavik

Tunngavik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I saw the original tank in person some time in his garage. Everything he had was "homemade" including a wooden mold. Since he did it there should be no reason why anyone else could not do it - I've looked up rotomolding and vacuum molding but cannot find any really good instructions (at least for tanks). Has anyone else found anything or even looked?
  9. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in school we modeled the intake manifold for our race car in CAD and then made it from plastic via rotomold. In fact when it came time to discuss this topic in our class since we hadn't official been taught it yet, we actually gave the presentation instead of the instructor. The only issue we had on the manifold was in our first mold we had unequal metal around the mold since it was hogged out of solid chunk of metal. This lead to an uneven plastic throughout the manifold due to the cooling process. After going back and machining away more of the outter part of the mold everything turned out just fine.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    I use the Maxcool tank from Holland and it has worked a perfectly so far. I have the initial model which did not have the cut out in the bottom of the tank to give more clearance to the chain guard, but all 2nd model ones will work great.

Not cheap I know, but a high quality product and Max responds quickly to e-mails and pms about his product.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263

[​IMG]

Fitted to my bike.

[​IMG]
  11. Tunngavik

Tunngavik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How long ago was this? Do you still have some info you could provide on your presentation or where to look on the internet. Like I said I've found lots of info on the internet but nothing specifically as to how to build your own hollow plastic tank.
  12. kalli

kalli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one that have not received refund yet? :ear
  13. felix_gt

felix_gt step by step

Oddometer:
    I've a paypal advide of the refund. Still waiting the refund 'itself'.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I received mine on May 4th.
  15. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    To get the refund you have to login to your Paypal account and accept the refund.
    The refund (as was the original payment) is nominated in CAD and you have to manually accept the refund to be converted to USD and depositited to your Paypal account.

Seems that we also took a small currency conversion hit on this.

Back when the pre-order became available CAD was stronger against USD.
    In my case 150CAD = 148USD at the time of the deposit and 150CAD = 140USD at the time of refund.
    Oh well, that's barely one lunch nowdays. C'est la vie.

--
    Mikko
  16. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Graduated over 10 years ago. Information is out there. Best sources is to stop in at a local supplier / fab shop that does the work.

...Same answer as FlyingFinn regarding Paypal. $140.05 credited to my account.
  17. Muckpee

Muckpee Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone, hope you are all having a good start to your season.. even without the tank. In regards to the payments, we have refunded the full 150$CAD per tank PLUS the paypal fees that are charged to paypal users when recieving money.

In regards to making your own tank, there are pictures of my experience available here
    Making the plug, mold, and rotomolding the actual tank cost about 400$CAD. The most expensive material was the urathane rubber used for the mold followed by the two part liquid plastic. I do not recommend people make their own fuel fuel tanks but it is possible to do.

The future of the tank is not certain as of right now but if it goes ahead we will likely not use a pre-order system, we will simply produce it and ship it upon payment. We are also working on a product that is more versatile, universally compatible for many bikes, and easier to produce. This product would be much more economical to produce so you may see it soon.

Sorry about the exchange rate losses, I don't like to see you guys lose money but when dealing with so many countries it's difficult to satisfy everyone. Any questions about anything..just shoot me a msg/email

Stay Safe,
    Mike
  18. werner747

werner747 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Muckpee, any idee how long before the more versitile tank will be available?

Any other info on this will be appreciated, such as where it might mount, capacity etc?
  19. rtjohn

rtjohn n00b

Oddometer:
    I did not get my deposit back and it was made 3/2/10 after 2 request for the deposit I still haven't recieved a replay. rtjohn
  20. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3