ey, You guys might like this photo The Dempster Highway and my Vespa

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Calotto, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    In case anyone is wondering, the Okanagan is in south central BC, Canada.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    And Tuktoyaktuk is on the Canadian shore of the Arctic Ocean, a fair bit East of the Alaska Canada border.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    What an incredible adventure and thanks for sharing with us. Quick question, is the nobby tire ties on the back for the Vespa?

Eric
    kpinvt likes this.
  4. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great and inspiring ride. Can't imagine it on those little wheels but you've proven it can be done. Awesome.:clap
  5. Calotto

Calotto n00b

Oddometer:
    The water bottle was great and yes it’s frm Costco. The knobby was for the Vespa and unnecessary. I wanted a spare because of the horror stories about flats and the Dempster. I didn’t want to be stuck on the side of the road doing a tire repair in grizzly country.
    Ahhh, yes, the dirty Vespa vs the tidy KLR. I left Eagle Plains a couple of hours ahead of him. It rained early that morning and my cheapass tent leaked like a sieve so I got up and hit the road. That’s when I went for my mud slide. I’m still getting the mud off 10 months later. It’s amazingly sticky stuff.
    If I’d been a bit patient, and let the road dry out a bit, I probably would have been fine. There were many many crashes that week on the Dempster, I was lucky. Just a bruised ego.
    9Realms, The Virginian and OldCoot like this.
  6. Calotto

Calotto n00b

Oddometer:
    BTW, if you don’t want to ride dirt, the Alaska Highway, is a beautifully maintained road and an easy ride. The Klondike is a little rougher.
    Fuel is typically available about every 70-120km but I wouldn’t go without a spare gallon. There’s some sort of giant cinnamon bun competition going on between the little coffee shops at the gas stops, so coffee and snacks aren’t an issue.
    Some of the gas supplies are above ground tanks with card operated pumps, so you have to have a credit card.
  7. JerryH

JerryH Proudly Powered By Internal Combustion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. I've often wondered why I don't see many ride reports with barely street capable scooters. And then you ride one to Alaska. And it happens to be a Vespa, my favorite scooter. I have a GT200. But I am now 60 and disabled, so long distance rides are no longer possible. Enjoy it while you can.
  8. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great (but muddy) trip! I envy you would love to try something like that.
  9. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Just Awesome. Great picture, the windscreen says it all, Gritty bare necessities ...Did I mention Awesome! ?
  10. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    Nicely done! I rode to Tuk last July on my Ténéré, the Dempster was in amazing shape on the way up, I’m confident that I could have ridden a Goldwing up. It started raining in Tuktoyuktuk so decided to bail out early. The road is completely different when wet.

I hope to see photos of scooters in Tuktoyuktuk soon.
  11. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done. The only way I’ll see Alaska is on a cruise ship as I’m not a fan of rain and cold.
    Unfortunately the idea that you can’t tour on a scooter is firmly ingrained and violating the stereotype seems to have no effect on the misplaced belief.
    More pictures would be excellent.
    The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  12. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barely streetable? Or i forgot, one needs a thousand ccs and a hundred hp to tour!??? Great adventure!
    The Virginian likes this.
  13. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here, this, now.

There is a thread here somewhere that at one point features a Vespa GT200 off road. It might take a while to find it.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okanagan, been there, done that. We once went into BC via Bella Coola, BC on the BC ferry. Check out that hill, ways east of town!
    B.C.- try it, you'll like it, but don't expect to see many humans, or gas stations. Sign leaving the coastal/fijord area says 400+ K to next gasoline.
  15. JerryH

JerryH Proudly Powered By Internal Combustion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alaska and Hawaii are 2 states I have not yet been to. Hawaii is not likely, but I may still make it to Alaska, but in a Jeep, not a bike.