Eyesight.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by innathyzit, Aug 8, 2020.

1. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Went for my first ride since February today. And my suspicions that my deteriorating eyesight is affecting my riding have been confirmed.
    Things just jump out in front of me now and I just don't see rocks and other obstacles well ahead of time like before.
    I don't wear glasses at all but have been putting it off for a while if I am honest.

So what do you guys recommend for riding? Just your every day glasses or something else?

Pic from today. Position of bike not necessarily eyesight related.
    20200809_131747.jpg
  2. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    My optometrist made up a pair of industrial safety glasses with my prescription (including progressive and transitions lenses).
    Since it was a second pair, I think it was about $399.
    Glasses.jpg
    So bullet proof sunglasses that I can read and ride with that go under my helmet.
    eri, Ducatijim, MrKiwi and 1 other person like this.
  3. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It may pay to get tested for glaucoma. It's just a puff of air on your eyeball so that the distortion can be measured. Your everyday optometrist does it.
    I need reading glasses and buy them from countdown. My medium to long vision is now heading south so I may have to get some optical type glasses that fit with a helmet. I've found that my sight is better if I have only my sunglasses or visor to look through. It's as if the double distortion of two layers of plastic makes things worse.
    Sounds like I may have to do something like @Oscar has done.
  4. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    My mother nags me about glaucoma test as well. Maybe she is right.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Your mothers always right.
    All this is depressingly familiar. Haven’t got to the stage of needing glasses while riding yet but it’s coming. Another bldi thing to remember when I’m leaving the coffee shop.
    Ducatijim, enduro0627 and innathyzit like this.
  6. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden with glasses all my life. I spend a little extra on sturdy frames
    250senuf and innathyzit like this.
  7. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You old bastards ;)

Wait till your balance goes and you need those three wheeled trikes.

:)

My hips are the problem, getting sore to swing a leg over the bike, let alone kick start the bloody thing. Ain't age great

That KLR ride next weekend looks good, I just have to figure out if I can get the bike started in time for a 0800 start near Helensville lol

My snowboarding mate swears by Oakley prescription googles, so maybe that is a good option for you?
    MrKiwi and innathyzit like this.
  8. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Rode with glasses for years but now wear contacts (I just get dailies cos I only wear the riding, they work out at less than $2 per day).

It's made a huge difference - no more fogging up glasses. Especially good when riding Adv/dirt bikes in winter.

They fix my short-sight but I'm gonna need something for the close-up stuff soon. Sux to get old - must ride more...
    eri and innathyzit like this.
  9. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    I spent heaps on photochromic progressive lenses, but found I could not get used to them for everyday work/living,, headaches, watery sore eyes and sockets etc. Others love them.....
    However I find them quite good on the motorbike, by just moving eyes around without moving the head much seems to work pretty ok.
    Beats stopping, taking gloves off, taking sunnies off, putting reading glasses on, checking map/gps,, and them going through the process in reverse, kick-starting Honk and forgetting where I was supposed to turn next anyway....
    slowkiwi and innathyzit like this.
  10. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    innathyzit likes this.
  11. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Had glasses since I was 21 but glare seems to bother me the most, so always use sunnie when the suns out (which is nearly all the time in the Manawatu :jkam) ....sunnies over prescriptions the od time :bmwrider
    EVLED and innathyzit like this.
  12. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    My biggest eyesight issue is travelling thru rapidly changing light/shadow in forested or treed areas.
    End up effectively blind, eyes don’t change compensation fast enough.
    Getting worse, more rapidly now too. Consequently I am forced to travel slower than I like and still fall into big ruts or over rocks etc.
    Fun killer.
    slowkiwi and innathyzit like this.
  13. Oscar

Oddometer:
    I have always suffered from that.
    Try some tinted lenses: yellow is good for low light, red/rose for depth and contrast (and hazy conditions).
    Ducatijim likes this.
  14. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    I did not know that. Thanks.
  15. Oscar

Oddometer:
    YRMV.
    I used to try different lenses in my Scott goggles when I was racing.
    Yellow is great for forestry or bush.
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    It's threads like this, plus the ongoing Covid problems and other things generally reminding some of us that time (and more particularly time on a bike) is limited so if there are things on your bike bucket list then, if you can, you better get on and do them cos you never know what's around the next corner. Metaphorical or actual.

Personally I reckon if I am lucky I might get 10 more years riding. I'll be 75 by then. Eyesight and more than one set of joints will have probably packed up. If I sat down and thought of everything I want to do I reckon I'd run out of time, what with the other things going on in life and the world around me.

Sobering thought. I think I need a glass of red :)
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I don't need glasses for riding or driving, just reading glasses. I can destroy a pair of Countdown glasses in a couple of weeks at work....sometimes I've ruined them in a day. So decided to lash out and spend real money on 1.5 reading glasses - I got some safety glasses with 1.5 lenses, $30. I've had them about 6 months now, have scratched one lens, but I can still see through them....so they've paid for themselves.

My welding went to shit 20 years ago, that's when I found I needed reading glasses - not because I couldn't read, but because I couldn't do a nice weld....or stay on the seam. Earlier this year I noticed my welding was becoming (even more) inconsistent...and one time grabbed a pair of 2.0 glasses by mistake....and my welding improved. Now I keep a pair of 2.0 or 2.5's I use just for welding.
  18. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    @oldbeer... according to Oscar, red is good for depth and contrast, so fill ya boots :D

Gettem checked Nige and get some specs (if you need them) Life is better when you can see. It'll save you taking cell phone pics of things so you can enlarge them or having someone else order your meal in a dim Chinese restaurant in Kings Cross :fpalm
    They also make you look intelligent :lol3
    images.jpeg
  19. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    I hear you, but failed to mention that my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, I nearly always wear dark glasses, cataracts ( 1 down,1 to go) don’t help.
    I have had best results from bronze tint, good in low light and ok except in high summer sunshine.
    Eyes still don’t compensate fast enough for me to be fast enough, if you know what I mean!!
    So I just compensate thru speed or choices.
    But hey......if it was easy, wouldn’t everyone be riding?
    Night Falcon likes this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Great info guys
    I already do look intelligent, depending on your yardstick for intelligent looking people.

Great info on here, I suppose it's very relevant seeing that the average adv rider age is increasing, so will get eyes tested and most likely get some flash ones like Oscar uses. @Oscar do they scratch easy from bastards flicking stones at you? My sunnies get wrecked pretty quick.