Eyesight.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by innathyzit, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Alarm bells rang for me when, at age 50, the guy doing the eye check-up wanted to know what driving licences I held?? WTF ?!?
    Early onset macular degeneration with a helping of glaucoma, just fucking wonderful....
    Probably wont be getting another check till I decide I cant honestly hold a driving licence. Might be a couple more years, who knows....
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
  3. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    innathyzit likes this.
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    If possible get glass rather than plastic lenses. Plastic gets trashed in short order if you're cleaning dust etc off them frequently. Most frames are ridiculously flimsy so shop around to find something like Oscar's that will handle the jandle. A couple of times I've found sunglasses frames that were much tougher, better looking & cheaper than anything the optometrist had on the rack so have got them to fit my lenses in those.

Cheers
    Clint
    innathyzit and MrKiwi like this.
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've done that before but you need to be careful the frames don't require to curvey a lense.

This is my current set (excuse the paint clad longs I've been busy painting). The frames are solid enough to withstand a helmet, lenses are progressive and photochromatic. Sadly a tad pricey.

IMG20200811175931.jpg
    innathyzit likes this.
  6. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    I just wear my everyday glasses which happen to be fully optioned jobs which cost over a grand, I don't like heavy glasses and thick frames so they are real light with titanium frames and plastic lenses which makes them comfortable to wear under a helmet and they can take a beating.
    They have suffered a few years abuse so far but I do use my previous pair for welding and grinding (if I remember) the trick is to never use any paper products, tissues etc to clean plastic lenses or visors as they micro scratch the surface.
    Wearing glasses sucks big time so I'm going to get checked to see if I am able to be corrected with laser surgery.
    innathyzit and Muzz67 like this.
  7. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Oscar. Do you know what the frames are. My eyesight is shit now. Long distance ok but close up is rubbish. Been using cheapy glasses but really need something better. I dont use glasses on the bike yet. When on the bike trying to read street names on GPS difficult.
  8. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then comes the fogging problem, any good solutions from the long time wearers ?
  9. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    never had a problem with my glasses fogging. Visor does but not glasses strangely.
    Muzz67, innathyzit and Phreaky Phil like this.
  10. Kiwigber

Kiwigber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need a prism in my glasses to correct an eye problem.Some time back I got caught in a sudden rainstorm in the Dome valley,large temp drop and both my visor and glasses instantly fogged.I lifted the visor which gave me minimal view of the shoulder and pulled up,bloody scarey.If buying new frames I take my helmet in with me to ensure a good fit.
  11. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One person mentioned earlier and I fully agree:

Daily disposable contact lens.

And thin wire-framed glasses as backups.

The contact lens because you don’t have to look through multiple layers. Disposable because of the convenience.

Thin frames makes it easier to slide in between your head and helmet liner, minimizing pressure points.
    EVLED likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Could never tolerate contacts...poking stuff in my eyes just freaks me out...I didn't even like using 'clear eyes' back in the day :wink:

I use Aria XD's (3 and now 4) and they fit with any of my glasses no problem.
  13. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I was making a frame out of box section the other day, as usual my welds were erratic - ''Oh nice, I should take a photo of that and post it on the internet for my peers to critique.'' or ''Shit, that's nasty, I better grind that out and redo it before the boss takes a look.'' Frame finished and just adding legs, tabs and stuff, and I'm farting around with the head strap of my budget helmet...and I find the shade on max at 13. Then I have a look at my glasses - I lost my 2.00, and my wife gave me some old ones of hers, put them on,nah, can't read a thing, I'll use them for welding. They are 1.00 !

Puddle ? There was no puddle that I could see sir.
  14. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Don't be a wuss! Dailies are soft as and easy enough to get in and out once you're used to it. You only have to squeeze ya eyeball a little bit to take them out.

Pop into Naylors and there's a good looking women who will show you how too...
  15. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you guys wearing contacts survive while riding? I like air on my face and I found contacts pop out of my eyes while riding.

So glasses it is for me.
  16. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Off direct topic of glasses - I’m 72 and have been fortunate to enjoy 6 full years of retirement- just reflecting the other day - 6 years ago at 67 I set off for 7 weeks riding and tenting in South Australia including taking part in a 1000km Postie Bike Challenge in the Flinders, the following year 3 weeks riding an Enfield In Rajasthan, now I doubt I do these things without increased apprehension. Just saying, how for me ‘my timid’ factor is increasing. I still ride gravel roads wherever I can and struggle to find others to join me as they tend to prefer the sealed roads.
    bigkuri, innathyzit, Muzz67 and 2 others like this.
  17. EVLED

Oddometer:
    That's never happened to me, the only time I've had an issue is when I've poked around in my eye with a finger. I pretty much ride my Tenere with the visor up all the time (chinese wind deflector on windscreen helps) and prefer the visor up on the other bikes whenever speed/temperature is comfortable. I used to carry a pair of glasses as backup just in case I lost one but never had to use them so don't take any on day rides.

Did you try the old fashioned lenses or the new soft ones? The soft ones are pretty thin (you can tear them if you try hard enough).

Lenses will make you more light-sensitive and you should blink more to help keep eye lubricated.

Honestly lenses have really made a positive difference to my riding (especially winter riding). Probably similar to a squid going and getting some decent rider training...Your optometrist will probably give you some for a trial - I got about a weeks worth.
    MCGMB, innathyzit and MrKiwi like this.
  18. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Stephen, I see your ride posts and really admire you for getting out there and doing it. I really hope I can be in the same boat when I "mature" a bit more. Will have to catch you on a ride sometime - maybe the 42?
    innathyzit and Oaters like this.
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate but...ain't no plastic fish scales goin near these twinklers....YIKES even the thought of it makes me wanna ball like a girly girl :yikes
    EVLED likes this.
  20. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    "...ball like a girly girl.."

Is this some sort of transgender reference?
    Muzz67 likes this.