Eyesight.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by innathyzit, Aug 8, 2020.

1. ShawnKTM530EXC

ShawnKTM530EXC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get goggles or better yet, an ADV helmet with a flip up visor. Please don’t trust a pair of eye glasses to protect your eyes. If I did that, I’d be missing at least one eye.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    more grammatical reassignment .....we can't be myopic with our spelling preferences these days. So, although technically incorrect, bawling now has the right to be spelt 'balling' in post millennial discourse :gerg
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Funsame
    Fundamentals, NF, fundamentals :jack
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    now now OB, let's not confuse the decay of freeworld professional journalistic standards and the degradation of democratic safeguards with internet forum chit chat :nono.
    oldbeer likes this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    That would never do. But enjoying the irony just the same.
  6. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    irony?
    Muzz67 likes this.
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only use soft lenses.
    EVLED likes this.
  8. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yup, gotta admit that my timidness is noticeably increasing these days.

When I had the PD with the tall screen the best riding was visor up with sunglasses. Not an adv helmet like I have now but a proper full face road helmet. Gone off adv helmets. Pointless fashion accessory.
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Progressives so that I can read the Speedo as well as see the road. I have had one occasion where the temperature suddenly changes and they fogged up, but the Pinlock visor seems to have solved half that problem.
    My helmet came with a gold tinted internal sun visor, thought it was going to be crap, but have found it great at low light times and night time with on coming traffic and reflective road signs, it just removes all glare, it's brilliant.
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I've needed vision correction since high school; I'm slightly short-sighted so needed distance glasses to get an education more than to drive. Very quickly moved to contacts because I hated glasses frames hitting helmets and other things. And the constantly cleaning required drives me bonkers. And then there's the fogging. Gah! give me contacts any day.

Some years ago I over-used contacts in conjunction with being allergic to the cleaning fluid, so I had a hiatus and had to wear glasses for a few years. I had a good pair made for (office) work and riding with temples that slid in to the helmet easily, and a cheaper pair with a robust frame and plastic lenses. This latter pair were for garage work and caving/rocksports, so a hit to the face didn't result in glass shards in the eyes. Also had to use OTG goggles. A good reminder why I prefer contacts!! Since then I use very good contacts that pass a huge amount of oxygen to avoid the over-use and dryness. Of course I had to change cleaning fluid to another brand and a stronger method. (That was cheaper than daily disposables that don't need cleaning.)

But sadly as I've aged my poor eyes can't correct the distance correction lenses to see up close. Took me a few years to work that out, as your eye muscles get tired just like everything else. It was ok in the morning, but late at night I couldn't see fine details especially with poor lighting. Tried reading glasses over the top of the distance correction contacts, and the glasses again drove me bonkers. Cleaning them, finding them, yada yada yada. Still couldn't read road signs *and* the cycle computer or dash/phone/map though. Wasn't going to even entertain the idea of trying bi- or multi-focal glasses. I tried multi-focal contacts, they work but my eyes take a second or two to adjust, and they are like 5x as expensive as my existing contacts.

Net result is that I now use mono-vision: a distance-correction contact in one eye, and nothing in the other. I can read road signs, and glance down and read the dash. Not faffing with glasses all the time either. Of course that's a bit cheaper than using two contacts every day as well.
    innathyzit and MrKiwi like this.
  11. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Years ago I tried an orange visor. I thought it improved my vision, but it did take a little getting used to - it tended to hide brake lights!

I was told that part of their success for you depended on whether you had started to lose colour perception at the red end of the spectrum (ROYGBIV). I did get some yellow lenses for cycling on cloudy/wet days, and they work very, very well; seem to brighten up everything. A pair of those have ended up as riding/driving "sunnies", or maybe they should be called "cloudies"?! :lol3 Friends also use them for hunting, they seem to hide greenery to let you see what else is there. Really makes you wonder just how many tricks your brain plays on you when it comes to processing visuals!!
    dazzadm likes this.
  12. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Interesting that you use only correction on one eye, their idea or yours?
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    just use my standard glasses,chose a sturdy pair, carry a spare pair.Use the bifocals elsewhere when needed or as my spares on a trip.
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    I have 4 sets of glasses. My eyes need correcting for both close up and distance. I have a stigma in my left eye also. At night, oncoming lights and illuminated signs from my headlights mean I literally get "blinded by the light". Hate wearing glasses but as I've said, it beats poking things into my eyes every day :yikes
  15. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yes, and theirs. Works superbly!! and I spent a few years trying different things. I should probably move to daily disposables and stop the cleaning.
    Muzz67 likes this.
  16. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yeah some people just can't handle it. A good friend of mine wears glasses because of that. One time we tried using contacts for a function where she was going to be photographed, but she couldn't even hold still while I put them in for her. She thought she could since she managed for the optometrist, just barely, but no. Resorted to the glasses.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  17. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Cripes! Had a visit to the optometrist today. What a bill - about the same to register my 3 road-legal bikes for the year!

A new progressive prescription for the up close work but my long range prescription hasn't change so my current contact prescription will still work.

She recommended I get some +1 reading glasses if I need them to read while wearing my contacts. might work for you @bikemoto
  18. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yeah, nah. With mono-vision I don't have to. The point is to not have to use glasses at all.

You could try a different contact in each eye, if you need correction for near and far. Ditch the glasses altogether.
  19. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Okay, so an update. Went and got my eyes tested yesterday. Eyesight very good except for closeup stuff is slightly out.
    So I can't use poor eyesight as an excuse for my deteriorating riding ability. Maybe just need more ride time.
    KiwiPewe, dazzadm, Takataka and 5 others like this.
  20. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, took a bit of time , but most importantly it is done. Repeat yearly.
    innathyzit likes this.