EZS Leading Link instalation

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Aug 8, 2015.

1. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    what steering damper are you using? and what is the best mounting position? the VW steering damper has been suggested in the googling that i did. should i ride to see if i need one or should i just install one because it will help the ride. thank you
  2. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    brianjonesphoto likes this.
  3. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my 2 steering dampers from EZS. A fancy one, expensive, that can be rebuilt, high performance, guaranty for life, blablabla, it started to leak after a couple month, so direction garbage. The second one is kind of ordinary, cheap, but it does the job so far (in the picture). When I ordered my EZS L.L., the damper was part of the kit, with the upper bracket. It seems to me that it was kind of mandatory to install one with a leading link, Dave from EZS didn't even give me the option to order one or not, and I got two!. The lower attachment was done by Claude, so it must be at the right angle, position, I have no complain, and no tank slapping, the damper must do its job!.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    thanks twintwin for the pictures very helpful. i like the way it is mounted to the shock mount. my kit did not come with a damper or brackets. i need to measure up what specs i need for a damper fully extended and contracted. so far i am looking into two types the one that DirtyDR is suggesting above http://www.amazon.com/Meyle-0268272000-Steering-Damper/dp/B00757JGME or vw steering dampers http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Da...ia-1960-on-/361394432873?fits=Make:Volkswagen which one do you suggest works best there are tons of them on eBay and amazon. thanks much
  5. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ref of the damper that EZS sold me, I have it right now on the rig.
    [​IMG]
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
  7. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    steering damper: i used the VW Beetle damper. thanks twin twin and others for your help. i think this is about it for the EZS LL link install. I am thinking of starting a thread for my build. i need a venue to ask questions to the gurus damperw:clamp.jpg clamp.jpg bracket.jpg bracketbody.jpg on this forum.
  8. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    steering damper more pictures.... lfturn.jpg rtturn.jpg straight.jpg
  9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, you're finished , how does it ride ?
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
  11. angtlalaska

angtlalaska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in town on the 23rd Let me know if you want to ride together. Hopefully I will have my "Drone modified" 17" R Nine T front wheel installed so we can compare steering. Been very happy with the 17" RT alloy wheel with the TKC70 now going for a different look with the wire wheel. Let me know if you want me to bring my wiring stuff.
  12. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    send you a pm...thx
  13. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i have started another thread for my build http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/building-a-sidecar-camper.1105402/page-2 my initial review of the test drive is here. basically at low speed it does not feel like i have power steering like i read somewhere in this forum. i have not tested at freeway speed or gravel road.
  14. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Power steering maybe an over simplification especially given the front tire size and the steering damper, smaller tires steer easier. The wider the sidecar the heavier the steering . Given the motorcycles don't run 165/15 fronts without the links you may not steer it at all. This is a late to the program question , have you driven any other sidecars ?
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    drove a CJ across parts of China for 3 weeks, but not with big tires. i am ok with it just giving my review about the how it steers.
    pops likes this.
  16. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Ok ! When your all done if you don't like the steering, I saw an EZS LL like ours on a k1200rs with a 145/15 Nankang front tire and there lots around with 15" rear motorcycle tires for easier steering.DB
    Bobmws likes this.
  17. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    When Liberty sidecar built my wife's R1150R/EZS sidecar, they put a rear scooter tire on the front. TwinTwin has posted many pics of it. Anyway, I asked them why they weren't putting a car tire on the front like other builds that I had seen. I was told that the round profile makes steering so much easier.
  18. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Wide flat tread tires are going to be hard to steer at parking lot or slower speeds simply due to the wide tire scrubbing aroung the steering axis. One way to easly check for hard steering relted more to trail track width and wheel lead is to steer the bars right and left while sitting still and watch what the sidecar wheel does. If it just kind of sits there it will steer easy ...the more it moves forward and backwards the harder it is going to steer. If it mover very little and is still hard to steer then the culprit is porbaby a wide front tire.
    pops, davebig and Bobmws like this.
  19. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    my link arm replacement came from ezs but it did not have the abs mount, so i fabricated one. can not wait to test drive with new arm. arm.jpg arminstall.jpg
    Bobmws likes this.
  20. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FR700 likes this.