1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F 800 GS In Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Russ, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Trekka273 likes this.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    older model, lots of good stuff, good k's for its age, a while ago I'd have said 9 tops
    Now I'd be listing it in 11's and see how it goes, push it to 12's you never know in these times and you dont seem like you've been in a hurry
    wait for someone that really wants an F8 with all the goodies.

is that somewhere round what you are thinking ?

These bikes attract people who realy want a BMW and even F800, the prices arent reflecting the value you can get in some other bikes, but each BMW I have sold has amaised me how its held its value, and in these times you can hang your hat on that even more so.

Trekka273 likes this.
  3. Trekka273

Trekka273 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that is something around what I thought. I honestly don't know if I even want to sell. As we have been in lockdown for so long I think I am just over it, so that's probably not helping. When we can eventually get back out I may lose all thoughts of selling it.
    nevgriff64 and BygDaddee like this.
  4. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    This is a shot of the Hoglights LED replacement, compared to the standard light. Know someone with this, it works great, great warranty if required.

Attached Files:

5. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Adventurepig likes this.
  6. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    I can understand that, we all make the decisions that best suits ourselves. If I keep my bike, which at this stage is what I am leaning to do, I will be upgrading to one of the Hoglights. Lots of things can be made in China, it doesn't mean that they are all made to the same standard. I also like that they have such a long warranty and they are based in Australia. My brother in law has a lot of their lights on his Harley and I have seen them, they are fantastic quality. I have also seen their light on a friends F800GS and it is a very nice unit.

Might be worth calling hem and having a chat to them to see if they think they have any difference to the Chinese ones off Ebay?
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  7. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I agree there can be differences in quality so if I decide to head down this path I'll give them a call first.

Thanks again for the link. :-)

Hopefully we will be allowed out soon and we can get to spend some quality time on the bikes - it's been too long since the last decent ride.
    Trekka273 likes this.
  8. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    I do know that the Hoglights units are ADR compliant, not sure about the others off ebay, etc

And by the way, I have no affiliation with them at all, I have just seen their products and liked them.
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  9. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Decided to have a bit of a play with a Rigid LED light bar that I bought to fit onto my KTM990 but ended up selling the bike before I got around to it. The light mounting brackets lined up perfectly with the top screen mounts and I found two small spacers that fitted perfectly from another project So the fitting side was very easy.

8DC5D72D-6691-4F90-8D9E-588D971CA2EA.jpeg
    BygDaddee and Kiwirich like this.
  10. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I had to drill into the headlight assembly to pick up the high beam feed and I put a relay under the seat and connected it all under the top cover. I also remembered I had a waterproof handle bar switch as well so perfect to be able to switch it off or leave it on and just dip via the high beam switch on the bike. Too easy.

Here’s a bit of a play test in the garage but will play a little more later tonight.

Low beam by itself.

96C8FED2-D4FB-4779-A2E0-83D7D35D1955.jpeg
  11. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    High beam by itself.

2C523099-4D72-4D7F-84CF-0ECE9B72B27B.jpeg
  12. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    High beam plus the factory fitted fog lights.

0AD833CC-9C8A-441C-A35E-865115093BD1.jpeg
  13. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    And now High Beam plus the factory fog lights and the Rigid 6” LED light bar.

B047D8E2-042C-4FE1-BEA0-684B58B76B1A.jpeg
  14. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Here’s the little Waterproof switch with a small led light that illuminates when the light bar is on - just in case you didn’t notice the difference. :lol3

03735988-2B6D-4062-A27D-E01FC7FC72C2.jpeg
  15. BygDaddee

Oddometer:

nevgriff64 likes this.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    How do the fog lights come on along with high beam? It should be one or the other. Not to be on together.
  17. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:

The fog lights are a separate switch and not connected to the headlights.

Same as a car I guess - they can stay on with headlights on high or low but should only be able to be activated once the tail lights are on.
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    how did you wire the LED bar ?

19. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Drilled a hole on the underside of the headlight assembly and ran a wire through a grommet and then soldered it into the white wire which is the high beam. From there I joined it into the switch on the handle bars and to a relay that I placed under the seat. Its just a matter of running power and earth from the battery to the relay and then wiring down the LED Light Bar. Just make sure your wiring doesn't obstruct the seat base or interferes with the front forks.

The Light Bar only comes on with the high beam and can be then switched off via the handle bar switch if ever you're in a situation where you need slightly better lights than low beam but unable to use the light bar.
  20. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    you didnt get any LAMP errors on the dash from the CANBUS ?

I know I have had a little piggy back connector in a box in my cupboard for about 2 years that connects inside the headlight, Ive said Ill get aound to that one day :D

and Ive got some spotties and a harness from the 1200 in some other box somewhere at the back of the shed I can't get into because of all the shit I collect and never use :fpalm

nevgriff64 likes this.