F 800 GS In Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Russ, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the bearings and seals numbers for the head stem on an early 800 GSA?

I’m need to replace mine but would like to have them in my hand before I pull the bike apart.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Get a couple of bearings
    SKF 320/28X/Q or NSK HR320/28XJ

and the original BMW seals
    31 42 1 234 509 its 10 bucks or so

or allballs sell a complete kit which lasted just as long as the stock one on my bike, the kit seamed fine to me but my mechanic who then pulled it out next time told me the seal isnt quite the right one, but id use it again

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232216521816

And go to bunnings and buy some long 3.8mm concrete nails to bang the bottom bearing off, or a long punch less then 4mm dia, the holes are very handy and meant no cutting of bottom stem bearing both times
    E122C4F3-7407-412F-A3E7-E3CD83901909.jpeg

and make sure you follow the tensioning procedure closely, imcluding a retention at 1000km and 10,000km services :D

https://advrider.com/f/threads/f800-head-set-bearing-how-to.716362/page-9#post-32467472
    Kiwirich and nevgriff64 like this.
  3. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Very much appreciate the information and links - thank you. :clap
  4. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    How did you go with this one, @Trekka273 ?
  5. Trekka273

Trekka273 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately no news yet. They are experiencing long delays with shipping at present. The good thing is that they have been very good at keeping me updated and they have been very apologetic about the delays, etc. Another good thing is they haven't taken full payment for the light yet, just a deposit. I hope to have it in a few weeks time, but no firm date yet.

I work in the import/customs industry so I know how difficult shipping is at present, so I know that they aren't bullshitting me.
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  6. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    Well, after the long Victorian lock down ended I had my first chance yesterday to get out on my bike for the first time in around 6 months. It was the perfect riding day, virtually no wind and a great temperature. It was a very enjoyable ride of around 350km, so very happy.

Unfortunately my wife's bike, which is exactly the same model as mine, developed on oil leak around 175km into the ride. I had the valve clearances and cam chain tensioner checked only around 300km of riding previously, so as the bike was running normally, no temperature issues or the like, we continued the ride and got home with no issues. Today I stripped off the panels, removed the battery, airbox, etc expecting to find the leak from around the rocker cover gasket. That area of the engine was completely dry, no signs of any oil leaks there at all. From what I can see, and I hope that I am wrong, the oil leak appears to start around the head gasket area. There is no sign of any water in the oil, or vice-versa, no issues at all when it was running yesterday, etc, so it would seem to be very unusual for a head gasket issue to cause the oil leak. There is oil around the cam chain tensioner area, but as the oil is also on the side/front of the engine I am not sure that would be the area for the leak as I can't see how the oil would make its way forward on the engine while riding. So, I am not going to proceed any further, I will take it to a trusted mechanic to see what they can find.... it is very disappointing, it was a great day yesterday and it was so great to be back out on the bikes. Obviously this will prevent my wife from riding until we can get it fixed, after losing so much riding time it is a real downer.
  7. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Too coincidental with the valve check, something up top isn't connected sealing, didn't happen to look inside air-box for oil did you ?

8. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    I haven't checked the inside of the airbox yet. It does seem to be a coincidence, it had done probably 400-500km since the valve clearances and cam chain tensioner were checked. I am hoping that it is something related to that causing the problem, as it would be a much easier fix. The bike still ran normally the entire time, no temp issues, no rough running, etc. It would just seem unusual that if it was something around the cam chain tensioner that the oil could run to the front of the engine.
  9. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Im thinking more on top of the engine, there is at least one breather hose to the airbox and prob something else that could leak

10. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    Yeah nothing up there at all, the top of the engine is completely dry, not a drop of oil anywhere. My first thoughts when I saw the leak yesterday was the rocker cover gasket, but there is no signs of any oil anywhere near that area at all, it all seems to start around the area of the head gasket.
  11. ktmpunter

ktmpunter Explorer

Oddometer:
    just picked up an 2008 F800GS, missing the handbook, can anyone help? Cheers
  12. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
  13. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was the oil level down? Can you wash it clean, leave as much stuff as possible off the bike, and run it up to locate the source? The wind when riding a bike with oil around the place can create a Big deal that isn’t...
    May not be the tragedy your envisioning?

Good luck with it. Reckon it’s nothing too bad.
  14. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    Well, you must have read my mind. While working today I was doing a lot of thinking about what was going on with the bike. It wasn't making sense, there seemed to be too many things going right for it to be a serious issue such as a head gasket or the like. Because of the way that the oil had run I was initially sure it would be the rocker cover gasket, so I didn't even worry about looking for the source of the leak before working on the bike. But of course, when I got it stripped down there were no leaks anywhere near the rocker cover. With the way that the oil was running, and where it was on the motor, it left me very concerned about head gasket, but it just didn't add up. So, when I finished work this afternoon I went out to the garage and started working on it.

I got the airbox and the many breathers and vacuum lines back on and started the bike. It took a fair while of running, and lots of time with a torch and poking around to find the issue. It wasn't a fast leak, but it was quite steady. The culprit was the crush washer on the rear of the cam chain tensioner. As per my earlier post, I had noticed that it was wet in that area but thought that the oil had blown there from the front of the engine, just because of the spray patterns on the motor. When the oil was up to temperature, I could wipe it clean, and within 30-60 seconds there was an oil build up on it. So, out it came, a trip to Burson's and I came home with a crush washer to suit an oil plug for some model car, which was the perfect size. Installed, ran it for quite some time and it remained as dry as could be. The crush washer that came out looked ok, but as the tensioner was checked only around 400km before this leak developed I am not sure that they replaced the crush washer, they may have reused the old one. Either that or it was damaged or out of shape.

So I guess the moral of the story is, don't assume you know where a leak is coming from, get a good look at it first. Secondly, despite the leak being on the back on the motor, the oil spread to the front of the motor and down the front to the sump area. This would seem to defy physics as you would think that the wind coming past the bike as you ride would push the oil backwards, but it actually did the opposite.

So it should be back on the road in a day or two. While I have everything off the bike I want to clean the Unifilter pre-filters and do a few other bits of cleaning, maintenance, etc. While it is stripped down I might as well do this stuff and then I won't have to strip it down again for a while.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  15. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:
    Kewl.

Never panic. Stay positive, and think it through.
  16. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    I agree. You live and learn. AT least it gave me an excuse to work on the bike, get to learn a few more things about it, get frustrated with it, and then learn to love it again :) I guess it is very easy to think the worst when something does go wrong.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  17. BOOTLACE

Oddometer:
    For sure. Sometimes it’s worth walking away and thinking about it. Or not!
    Trekka273 and BygDaddee like this.
  18. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    The Hoglights LED unit has arrived and I have to say that I am very impressed. I haven't been for a ride with it yet, but so far so good. The build quality of the unit seems to be very good.

As my wife has the identical bike as mine, I have the chance to compare them side by side at exactly the same time. The following photos were taken with the camera on exactly the same settings (shutter speed, Aperture & ISO), so they show a decent, albeit not perfect comparison. The LED light needs to be adjusted up a bit, it is set a bit low at present. These are both on low beam.

LED F800GS Light Low Beam.jpg Standard F800GS Light Low Beam.jpg

This is the light itself and also a shot showing the ADR compliance marking. The light looks better in person than it does in these photos, the quality of it was better than I was expecting to be honest.

LED ADR Marking.jpg LED Unit.jpg F800GS Headlight Side By SIde Comparion.jpg
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  19. ktmpunter

ktmpunter Explorer

Oddometer:
  20. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    Two more photos of the standard and LED headlight units side by side. These photos were taken with the exact same settings on the camera (ISO, shutter speed and aperture), so they provide a decent comparison between the two lights.

F800GS Standard low beam.jpg F800GS LED low beam.jpg
    squizzy, BygDaddee and nevgriff64 like this.