1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

F......GET THIS CORONA RIDE 2

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by bodhisattva65, Apr 23, 2020.

1. bodhisattva65

bodhisattva65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GATHERING UP AGAIN THIS SATURDAY 25. NEW BRAUNFELS, TX. START AT BUCCEES AT 8.
    MORE OR LESS THIS ROUTE. PROBABLY ROLLING ON THE HD THIS WEEKEND

IMG_0203.jpg IMG_0253.jpg
    51% likes this.
  2. atx

atx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Prmurat likes this.
  3. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    . It’s not a gathering for hanging out or really socializing so much. It’s just a motorcycle ride with the possibility of more than one rider. Each rider is still isolated on his or her own bike, wearing gloves and a mask of sorts (helmet).

I won’t guarantee that I’ll show up, but I’m not saying I won’t show up either. We’ll see.
  4. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck to get a AAA truck if you breakdown or a shop for repair. In case of accident let’s hope the AMT are not too busy and you will find some space in an hospital... where you’ll be able, maybe, to say again “F...”.
  5. atx

atx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the state of Texas travel recs page:
    https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/travelers.aspx

We are at a time right now where people coming from outside the state are asked to self quarantine for 2 weeks when entering Texas. There is nothing here saying no travel, but common sense dictates that if you need to travel, be smart about it.

If you want to go for rides(i don't) be safe, ride well within your limits, pack enough spares/food so you are stopping minimally, and do your best not to risk spreading anything. Austin right now is requiring people to cover their mouth/nose at gas pumps to prevent spread with threat of fines, though I'm not sure if NB or SA has fines. Wash your hands after pumping gas, or just don't take off your gloves and make sure you isolate your gloves from other gear at home. Don't touch your face with your gloves. The biggest problem here is you may have it and not be showing symptoms, so just because you feel fine doesn't mean you are. Trust nobody.

upload_2020-4-24_12-46-58.png
  6. bodhisattva65

Oddometer:
    i could wreck going to work, falling down the stairs at home, get injured at work, etc. plus i have a truck and trailer should i break down. it will be fine. The only number we need to know is .000026
    ab8mi, jay547 and jwaller like this.
  7. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike, your life and, frankly, having no family or friends living in part of your “world” I do not care a fuck!!
  8. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    If I was in TX - where I WOULD be right now if the whole world hadn’t lost its mind- I’d take the ride. Went for a day long trip on the quads with friends yesterday. A little research tells the truth on the correlation between infection rates and the stay in place orders. Which is to say there isn’t one.
    norton(kel) likes this.
  9. atx

atx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling you are picking and choosing the data to fit your narrative. Lots of friendly folks out there protesting preventing spreading a deadly disease, i tell you what.
    [​IMG]

But hey, just because you don't believe this is serious doesn't mean you can't catch it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe have a drink after the so important ride?? IMG_3016.jpg
    metal likes this.
  11. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a bunch of sanctimonious ass-hats! Going on a motorcycle ride (guaranteed of being 6 or more feet from the nearest person) is not the same thing as demanding we go back to business as normal, nor is it the same as suggesting we sacrifice the weak! It's a motorcycle ride, an individual act that has very little impact on anyone else.

I encounter more people in my neighborhood when taking my dog for a walk. Geez, yesterday as I was working on one of my bikes in my yard, I was startled as Hell when an unsolicited salesman walked up behind me and started talking to me! Seems to me I'm more likely to encounter another person just minding my own business at my own home.

I won't be on the ride tomorrow. I had a doctor's appointment today and took the motorcycle. After the appointment, I made the most of it, riding 46 out to Boerne, then to the Old Tunnel State Park on Old San Antonio Rd, Luckenbach, and then back home to New Braunfels. I hit up FM 473, FM 474, FM 1888, and Crab Tree Road. I didn't talk to a soul. Even in Luckenbach, I pulled up under a shade tree away from the other folks (there was a group of couples riding on 5-6 Harleys, about ten folks in all. Now, that's questionable). I kept my distance and drank some water from the water bottles I brought with me, put the empty bottles in a pannier, and rode back home. Total isolation. I even mentioned it to the doctor, that riding is my therapy (it really is). She said it was okay as long as I was careful and did the whole social distancing and what-not.

For those going on the ride tomorrow, have fun, be safe, keep your social distance and all that. For the naysayers and nags out there, perhaps you should withhold your judgement. No one here's judging you for staying home or asking you to do anything at all. As for some of the others here, I'm sure that they, like me, might have some things they've done or had to do in their history where their likelihood of demise was far greater than the likelihood of dying with the coronavirus once a positive diagnosis is given. Lighten up.
  12. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey Jason, sitting here with nothing to do but browse Advrider I stumbled across this. Great posts!

Yesterday I went on a 200 mile ride with 3 other BMWs, kept our distance and all that, felt so much better when I got home.
    So today I took another 200 mile loop by myself, felt so much better when I made it home, this time because I had a slow leak in the rear wheel. Couldn't see a leak (tubeless). Aired up beside the road three times in 70 miles. Parked it, now I have something to do tomorrow.

Actually made several loops like that in the last several weeks, much better for my health than sitting on the couch worrying.
    ab8mi, norton(kel), Dirt2007 and 2 others like this.
  13. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey there, how are you doing? Man, if this passes before the end of summer, I want to do some sort of epic ride. Maybe head out to Big Bend for a while (though it might be too hot for that). There's this 1800 mile dual sport loop around quite a bit of Texas, the Lone Star Loop. Or maybe New Mexico BDR or the TAT somewhere in Arkansas through Oklahoma and into New Mexico, something. My dad says I should hit you up and do some adventure with you since you actually know what you're doing :-). If the Corona Virus clears up.... Even then, I'm not planning on going to any crowded places for a LONG time.
  14. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had lots of ideas for this riding season, now just going to have to see how things open up, I'm optimistic that there will be some riding this year.

We had plans for a camp out with my sister and some of her family in Concan in June, Kenny and hopefully Ralph and family would be there with some motorcycles. If possible we will be there.
    I need to finish the NMBDR, I have the central section but need the end sections.

Did you know I rode about half of the Idaho BDR last summer? Rode my 690 KTM there and back. Great trip.

Linky

And the bike at my turn around point.
    [​IMG]
    jwaller likes this.
  15. atx

atx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any social gatherings where you may end up spreading the disease are questionable right now. Hopping on a forum to start a meetup with a questionable title without laying any ground rules is tacky at best. People are dying all across the world and we don't have a cure, the best we can do is try not to catch it or spread it. Say you get a flat and someone pulls over to lend you a bacon strip, that's a risk right there. We are supposed to be isolating so we can minimize spread, and if we all travel to the fun roads in central texas and back home there is a chance we end up doing more harm than good, even pumping gas or stopping in for the bathroom somewhere. If you're meeting with randos for rides you may be creating the perception that group rides are back on, and that we are back to normal. Perception is an important thing here. People aren't wearing masks or bandanas because they think it isn't fashionable or like quads with friends up there they don't believe there is an issue with spreading this thing. The more people that wear masks and make it seem less uncool, the better off we are.

I'm still going for bicycle rides around town, but i wear a bandana full time, carry enough spares for the trip, stop nowhere, and have the girlfriend on speed dial for a rescue pick up in case anything goes wrong. Do what you can to stay sane, while doing your best to do your part to not infect the general public.
    Prmurat likes this.
  16. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Hope you had a great ride today!
    ab8mi likes this.
  17. bodhisattva65

Oddometer:
    600,000 yearly of the flu
    770,000 of aids
    1.34 million deaths from Hepatitis
    575,000 h1n1 deaths
    yet no one masked up or isolated
    200,000 corona, and a majority of those had compromised immune systems. deaths rate is .000026% recovery rate is 99.999974%
    basically this much ado about nothing sorry its math.

all that being said. I RODE TODAY WITH A GROUP OF FRIENDS AND WE HAD A GREAT TIME.
    IMG_0568.jpg IMG_0565.jpg IMG_0541.jpg IMG_0538.jpg
    51%, ab8mi, jwaller and 2 others like this.
  18. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great day ride!
    Sorry for hijacking the thread for a bit there.
  19. ab8mi

ab8mi BMW 850 GS

Oddometer:
    Got out Saturday for a little over 150 miles in Hill Country, very therapeutic. Lots of bikes out on the weekend was great riding weather,
  20. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the good kind of hijacking.
    ab8mi likes this.