F-in Dog!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RayT, Nov 25, 2019.

1. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I already kinda suspected that my life had become more of a contact sport as of late (snowboarding, learning how to ride)!! And, I thought I'd become even more of an ounce-of-prevention kinda gal as a result.

So, it kinda took me by surprise yesterday when a girlfriend and I were out on a ride, on a day that had turned up all late-fall-kinds-of-glorious.... bluebird skies, colorful leaves, sunshine bouncing off the Tennessee river around every bend... when motorcycle riding suddenly became an unexpected kinda contact sport when I got...

BITTEN!!

By a DOG!!

It wasn't the motorcycle riding that I should have been worried about. Apparently, it was the evil little blippity-blip that came running out of a yard, kept nipping at my front tires, before it wheeled its head around and...

BIT ME!!!

ONCE!

Then, apparently, for good measure...

TWICE!!

omg!

It was one of those slow-motion moments when a million things run through your mind. In no particular order...

"Don't slam on the brakes!"

An instant replay of what they told us to do in motorcycle class.... slow down then speed up past the dog. "But, but, its FACE is under my wheel!!"

“Is it small enough to fit into a frypan?? Should I really hit it?? No, wait, that thing won't fit in a skillet!!”

"How do I get my leg up and away from Cujo??"

"WTF??? Is that dog really ahold of me, and is it REALLLY doing that crazy head shake thing, WITH my leg??? No! No? You gotta be kidding me, really???"

And, then, a blur, and down went the bike.

And, that evil little shit went and sat in the yard and looked out at us while we hauled Evvie back up on her feet....

That is, until it was time to ride off again!! Satan tore off after us a second time!! Seriously!?!?

Thank heavens, made it home safe n sound, cleaned up and monitoring the situation, adrenaline still pumping through me hours afterwards.

lol - always an adventure - in this case an adventure inside an adventure!!! IMG_6259 use.JPG

Attached Files:

2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cujo, love it. Fun story to read. I'm sure less so to be part of it!
    RayT likes this.
  3. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the crash and bite.

Have had a few close calls on my bicycle and usually a good scream scares them off. However I did have a stand off with a large dog where I had to use my bike to defend until it’s owner retrieved it.
    RayT likes this.
  4. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The slow and speed up tactic is while Cujo is on intercept NOT after join-up! Too late to use after Cujo has switched to "gums!" Your planning must start whe Cujo first launches, no later than once he stabilizes the intercept. Sorry to hear about the bite and the crash. Heal fast.
    RayT likes this.
  5. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ouch, sorry to hear of your mishap and hope you and the bike are OK? The bites look painful ..
    I should start off with the statement That I love dogs. There now that’s stated, we wear big boots for a reason. If the little bugger comes at you it’s like polo, game on, boot the little turd. If it’s a large dog it’s more like jousting try and deflect away from the bike. Getting bit sucks, like you said it happens fast. If there is time, the bottom of my boot is my preferred place in which to be bitten. I think the owner should meet Mr. or Ms. Police Officer, and pay for any damages. Or they should also meet the bottom of such said boot.
    scfrank, btrrtlwtr, BaldKnob and 2 others like this.
  6. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live by that old maxum, what doesn't kill ya'.... lolol Still kickin'. Glad you enjoyed!! :-)
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  7. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bigger fear came when I hit the pavement, thinking it would keep coming for me. Was so surprised when it just went and sat in the yard til we got going again. I'll have to remember to use my outdoor voice - that was one thing that never crossed my mind, I was so up in my head!! omygosh!!
  8. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a good distinction!! Lesson learned to pay sooo much more attention for signs of canine evilness!! We had passed by the house probably not 10 minutes before - life does have a way of changing on a dime!! WHew!!
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  9. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had on my tall Forma boots, and sure as shit, it managed to get me just above them, just below the knee. I was soooo grateful for my riding pants, that the teeth didn't get through - it's amazing what damage they still can do. I'm starting to get the impression that this is a fairly common occurrence? And, I have no idea why in the world I didn't just pull my leg up higher. It was such a blur!! I ran out and got the address of the place this afternoon so I can call the city. I hate that dogs have to suffer the consequences of bad oweners. Sigh
  10. Txjack

Txjack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! glad your ok... My first dustup w/doG/moto was way b4 your Mom was a thought:D Three boys headed to swimming hole on a hot summer day on a scooter...add German shepherd=ROAD rash!! I was the youngest in the middle. This was in a sub. w/"paved" roads... Course no helments,shoes, or much else. We all survived but learned an invaluable lesson....Plz enjoy this sport, ride& keep eyes open!...What has been said Use the Boots if all else fails.
  11. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why didn't you call the police or sheriff?

Wouldn't the dog's owner be responsible for the crash? Leash laws and all that?
    RayT likes this.
  12. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tennessee has a state-wide leash law. The dog's owner is responsible; let them pay.
    tireatr, RayT and CROSSBOLT like this.
  13. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all.... I''m laughing my backside off!! My mom is 12 years older than you are, and I'm only 13 years behind ya!! I'm looking at the experience as a bit of a blessing. I've never been afraid of dogs before - I realize I dramatically underestimated them while being on a bike!! Now, I'm alllllll eyes for those 4 legged critters. Just realized I'd better put deer into that category - I'm always scanning while in the car, so I do it on the bike too, but I've put myself in the position of being out during their witching hour at dusk and dark a couple too many times - bad especially at this time of year!!
    mikegc and CROSSBOLT like this.
  14. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch. So glad to hear that you survived the crash and Cujo. And I really hope your copilot keeps the faith in riding. She is probably shook up too.
    So much information to process on a bike in a SITUATION. Experience becomes wisdom.
    RayT likes this.
  15. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It threw us both - we had just ridden by, no dog, and then, on the way back, that evil dog!! We shot off to leave, after getting the bike up. I could see in my mirror that he was chasing her down. Lessons learned!! Riding is always an adventure, one way or another!! lol
  16. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's funny how you react to situations. I was so anxious to get out of there b/c of the dog, and then the area is a little sketchy. I called animal control, and then had to call the sheriff in the next county. He went out there, but no one would answer the door. Hindsight, I should have gotten a bit down the road and called. I"m hoping there won't be a next time, but lessons definately learned!! ohmygosh!!
  17. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. All sorts of lessons learned for the future. Yeah, I scuffed up the bike pretty good. I was thankful that it was only the pressure of it's mouth that broke the skin - glad I wore my riding pants, that her teeth didn't break through.
  18. Txjack

Txjack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bad!:roflYou look much youngerin your pics...I was riding my little 250 Super Sherpa a few years back& found myself at the end of a dead end road...As I looked back the way I had just rode I realized that almost every property had a dog watching & ready for me to run the gauntlet!! All I could do was out maneuver tha pack!! Legs up, full throttle& out of there:imaposer
    RayT likes this.
  19. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lolololol - I'll definately take your misunderstanding!! ;-) At least you didn't think I was way older than i am!! Better than, "Poor thing, worn out!!" lololol That's what my gf was riding, was her 250 Super Sherpa!! She outran the beast too!! You've got me giggling!! You've made my day!!
  20. Unsung

Unsung Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd definitely call the cops and animal control. I'm sick of people letting their dogs chase people and stand in the fucking road. I've had a guy stand there and watch his Great Pyrenees run out to the road to attack me and not even attempt to call it back. I've also had to run stop signs because of them trying to get me. Kicked dogs in the face to avoid getting bitten (which just pisses them off btw). People are stupid, then act surprised when it gets hit by a car. If you're too lazy to properly house your animal, you shouldn't have one.
    BaldKnob, CROSSBOLT and RayT like this.