F-in Dog!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RayT, Nov 25, 2019.

1. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unsung - I called the police. Oooh, don't need one even more psychotic - I've also been told it hurts if you kick a dog while moving. I'm starting to get the impression that almost everyone who rides has faced this at some point. I now know I need to be more vigilant to this!
  2. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There ARE people out there who just HATE people on motorcycles and scooters. Even prosecutors like that pin-head in Lawrence, Kansas who told me, "We around here don't like motorcycles." This was his response to my formal complaint against the driver and the kid that threw a heavy, wet object out of amoving car and hit me square in the chest (good shot!). Nearly knocked me off. Opposing traffic, speed limit 60 mph. As much as you are in the right is no guarantee of justice. Just be prepared for that.
  3. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!! That's insane!! Nah, I've been through the legal system with a POS that stole my retirement out of my business - I know there is no justice in that system. So terribly sorry - glad you're ok!!
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  4. Ohio Rider

Ohio Rider n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your 'adventure'. If a dog bit me, and caused me to go down....I would have blown my stack. I probably would have grabbed anything available, and used it as a weapon and gone after that dog. You should sue the owner for medical expenses and all repairs to the bike (and new helmet/gear), then a few more $$ for your pain and suffering.

Of the few times I've had a dog chase me, I'm always ready to kick it in the face. I really don't wish to hurt animals, but if it keeps me from getting bitten, or having an accident, I'll do it.
    RayT likes this.
  5. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Life’s too short for aggressive animals and owners of said creatures. Kick it! and git on down the road!
    RayT likes this.
  6. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know, you're right!! I have such an appreciation for the briefness and preciousness of gettting to live this life... the decision should be clear!! Thank you for saying!!
  7. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in a kind of sketchy neighborhood. I should have called the police straight away. Learning experience! And, you're right... "I really don't wish to hurt animals, but if it keeps me from getting bitten, or having an accident, I'll do it." - that's where I need to be with it!!
  8. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rabies? or some other nasty infection, I am not a Dr but did any saliva get into your skin? If I get bit , I want to see the dogs vaccination history, from the desc. of the area I would be surprised if the owner kept up with the shots. In my town if your dog bites another dog or person , you had better have proof of current shots or you are in a world of trouble..Hoping it really did not break the skin...I guess if you respond back you must not be Rabid...
    RayT likes this.
  9. suber1959

suber1959 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What an encounter, sorry for the bite even though from the story it seems to have made the ride even more adventurous.
    RayT likes this.
  10. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THe dog broke the skin from the pressure of his teeth, but fortunately they didn't puncture my riding pants. I was fretting until I could stop and look! If the dog had been in the city limits, they would have gone further with the investigation than the police officer from the correct county did. Next time I'll call the police. I'd never been inthat situation, had no clue what to do. I love this forum, helps me do better!! lolol - crazy, but not rabid!! ;-)
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, great story and thanks for sharing. Like other have said, sorry this happened and I have to agree, just kick the darn thing and roll. When in doubt, throttle out! :lol2
    RayT likes this.
  12. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry.. but I would have gone all Clark Griswold on his ass.

RayT likes this.
  13. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did the Ironman in Chatt back in September. Couple thousand of us riding down into Georgia and back and no one, that I know of, had doggy trouble and then you out on the motor and bamm!!! Law of averages I guess.

I ride to and I worry about animals more than cars. At least I know the idiots in the cars will try to kill me its, the deer, hogs, dogs etc that dart out from no where at the last second that scare me more.

Glad your OK and can laugh it off. Good attitude to have.
    RayT likes this.
  14. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I've told this before, but this seems like a good time to tell it again.....
    Way back about 1970, I was heading out from home on my new Honda CB350, with crash bars.
    As I rode down a local side street, a huge Collie Dog came out at me from between two parked cars.
    He missed and I thought nothing more of it.
    A while later I was heading back home, up the same side street, having forgotten about the Collie.
    Well, he was waiting again. This time his aim was better. He shot out at me from between the parked
    cars with that BIG MOUTH FULL OF TEETH OPEN AND SNARLING!
    Somehow, he missed getting hit in the side of the face by the crash bars. Instead, the front of my
    right shin got him in the side of the mouth at about 30 mph. The impact literally whipped him
    off of his feet. I clearly remember seeing his feet go by above my head level as he did a snap roll.
    He landed in the road behind me, shot to his feet and took off into his backyard with an
    unearthly howl that I could clearly hear over the bike engine.
    The impact took my foot off of the foot peg, and left the imprint of all those teeth in
    the side of that mouth in the front of my shin. My leg hurt for days!!!
    I have no doubt that if he had been half a second faster, the crash bars would have gotten
    him instead of my leg, and it probably would have killed the dog.
    I also have no doubt that he never ever chased another motorcycle !!!!!!!
    RayT likes this.
  15. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    If the dog's bite broke your skin, you need to be seen by a doc. Soon.
    RayT likes this.
  16. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  17. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love Chatt - a transplant here and just adore it - so much fun to be had. Now I just need to figure out how to not have to work, so I can play more!!

Yeah, totally newfound appreciation for animals on the bike. I don't give it ton of thought in the car, have only had one groundhog on a suicide mission throw itself under my tire once about a million years ago, and am always just keeping an eye out for animals, but this really made me realize just how very vulnerable we are on a bike - probably a good thing to get the lesson lite and early!!
  18. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am soooo grateful you shared this story!! I thought about it when I was out the other day, the physics of it all - that if you kick it, it's still gonna hurt!!
  19. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fortunately no saliva transfer - it was the pressure of his teeth through my riding pants that got me. It scared the tweet out of me!!
  20. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I"m of the mind that if it doesn't kill ya' (and please, don't let it kill me!!) it makes for a hell of a story (later!! lol) ;-)