F650 & 800 Positives

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by huckleberry, Dec 25, 2008.

1. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    Well there are a whole bunch of winey threads out there on the 650 & 800 i thought it would be nice to work our way into the new year with some positives! Lets here the things you like about the 650 & 800 what is it that makes this a good or possibly great bike and the reasons you think so. I'll start with i like it i think best for it feeling much lighter than it actually is cause of the low ctr. of gravity and feeling kinda like a sumo on the street.:clap
  2. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    Positive: You do not need to be an NBA player to ride them, Lighter than the big GS's, pretty good ergos, great fuel milage, low CG, nice power band, outstanding ABS system. :clap

Other than that, they suck :rofl

Have a nice day:D
  3. azze007

azze007 Sort of ADV, mostly just a rider

Oddometer:
    Absolutely right! I have a dream: riding a big GS....but I'm not 12 feet tall :lol3
    Seriously I don't understand why these bikes (R 1100,1150,1200 GS) are so tall.Not everybody is 6' 5" . Right???
  4. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Well, if your going to be serious...I'm 5'9" and 72 years old and I ride a 12GS.
    What's this 6'5" stuff?
  5. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Simply put I was looking for a bike right in between my KLR and Strom and I was willing to compromise on each end of the dirt vs street ability/comfort to find that middle ground.

The 800 so far is that bike. What suprised me is how very little I had to give up on both ends. While not perfect, and I'm working on that, I no longer go for an average ride in the mountains and wish I was on the "other" bike at some points. It's the kind of riding I have fun doing on this bike that is far greater than the sum of it's parts.
  6. Chairman

Chairman Everyday is Friday

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap You are right. I have been one of those whiney asses and it's time to enjoy a wonderful bike. I went to my garage and apologized the new GS 650. I am lucky to own such a nice machine.
    Merry Christmas
    Thanks Huckleberry
  7. azze007

Oddometer:
    Most of the GS riders are tall (OK,not 6'5" but they are quite tall)
    5'9" = 172 cm = hope for me!! :clap
    Standing next to a 1150 GSA I felt like a fu*ckin' midget.That thing is huge!
    But the Adventure version is few centimeters higher,so I might be able to ride a GS,right?:eek1

Merry Christmas!Have fun with your GS!
  8. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    People told me for years that the GS was too tall for me. One day I asked the sales guy to put the seat in the low position. I was almost flat-footed. 30"inseam. But on jesse bags and load some stuff in and I am 100% flatfooted. Sometimes they leave the seat in high and the rear is cranked way up. I recently sat on a friends 12GSA with full bags. We were both shocked as I was able to flatfoot it as well.

Great bike,give it a shot.:D
  9. azze007

Oddometer:
    When there's a will, there's a way.
  10. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the only complaint I have about the 800. The height. 30" inseam leaves me on tiptoes with ordanary riding boots. Not wanting to lose a lot of suspension travel, I have opted for the Elton John specials. That is my riding boots with an inch and a half added to the soles. Supposed to be ready for me early Jan. If it turns out to be just too silly I will be going for the Progressive shock spring which aparrently drops the height a full 2". This is too much for me so I will have to make up a shim to get it raised a half inch or so.
  11. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toadride: Do you have a part # for this progressive spring?
  12. Beerslayer

Beerslayer Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer:
    I agree with you Marty. Anyone can ride any size bike. I have a 29" inseam and ride a KTM 950s. All you have to do is slide off to one side or the other a bit when stopping. I have ridden the 1200gs solo and two up without problems too.

It is all in your head as to what you can ride. I find tall motorcyles a lot easier to ride than those damned tall Thorobreds I used to ride.
  13. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    F800GS - Best bike in the world!!
  14. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 very well said. Most bikes are about compromise and the F800 does this well.
    Glen
  15. Shadetree

Shadetree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I could come up with several dozen, but 800 might be an exaggeration. What a bike? I love the way it makes power, even the ultra responsive tip in throttle response. Keep the clutch in the friction zone at low speeds and the bike will slog along or leap, pick your poision. Nice to have all that on tap. The saddle is a tad hard, but a carving knife, some 80 lb commercial foam and a six pack will fix that right up. Did mine anyway. The danged bike legitimately carries it's weight in baggage and rider. Even the muscled up HP2 can't do that without losing a subframe...not to knock the HP2, mind you. That's another good'ern.
    Fire roads, anyone? The 8GS eats'em for breakfast. As for the rough stuff, a buddy rode his Dewalt 8 with us on the LA2B2V ride over Thanksgiving and gave nothing up to the K'tooms and XR's. Mind you, Jeff's not your average rider, but then he's never actually raced anything. He and the bike get kudos for that little 400 mile jaunt. No damage to bike or bod. 'grats, Irvin. Of course there's tons more to say, but suffice it to spout that this is no average bike. It leaves one wanting for very little over a wide range of riding. It's forecast to be 70 in Oklahoma tomorrow. I think I'll hit the backroads.

Bill Dragoo
    Norman, Oklahoma
  16. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Great thread mate.

I'm pretty much riding my dream bike. More muscle than my KLR and a lot less fatty-faterton than the big boys.

I have loved all 3k miles of her so far.
  17. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:

lucky basterd!!!!!!:lol3 :lol3
  18. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    I was only able to put 1400 street miles on my F8GS before winter (and a seriously wimpy constitution) killed my riding season.

The positive in that? There is so much more about my GS that I have yet to learn .... looking forward to it!!!
  19. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:

If you don't know why a GS needs a high ground clearance, you need to ride a cruiser. A GS would be pointless for you.

A good rider does not need to flat foot a motorcycle to ride it.