F650 & 800 Positives

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by huckleberry, Dec 25, 2008.

1. azze007

azze007 Sort of ADV, mostly just a rider

Oddometer:
    Never mind...
  2. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Sure if you enjoy being inconvenienced constantly or have something you feel you need to prove to others, that's great, but for the rest of us that just want to ride and have fun...

To answer the other poster's question:

GS bikes are tall for 2 reasons. The first is suspension travel. The need long travel suspension to soak up really bad surfaces. The second reason is ground clearance to go over ruts, rocks, potholes, etc.
  3. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's put all the mechanical, performance stuff aside for a moment. Maybe I'm crazy, but does anyone else find themselves "disappearing" into the garage to simply stare at their 800? Sometimes I hear my wife coming down the stairs to the garage, at which point I quickly grab a hammer and a 2x4 and pretend to be working on a shelf or something. As soon as she leaves, I crack open another beer and just rub my bike with a cloth and dream of adventures yet to start. Once the 4 feet of snow melts that is.

If I were single I'd find a way to park my bike in my bedroom so I could fall asleep and wake to the sight of it.

Does anyone else feel this way? :D
  4. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Â…and to stay on thread topic, I think it's an OUTSTANDING looking bike. The designers at BMW deserve a ton of credit to the asthetics.
  5. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Since I've posted quite a few minor peeves I have with the bike, I feel compelled to share the other side as well. One needs to be fair and level headed, right?

I love that at only 85hp a small blip of the throttle practically gives me whiplash. In fact, I'm somewhat reluctant to say that it's TOO responsive. But once I weight it down with luggage and stuff, that will be reduced I guess. Damn BMW engineers thinkin ahead again...

Although that windscreen is tiny, at 60mph or so, the wind you feel is smooth. At 75 or 80, it's a hurricane in your face, but ease it back and it's quite livable. I'm still getting a taller screen, but I see the method to their madness. This bike is really intended for slower, off-road work much more than highway. I knew that when I bought it, but still.

The light dance and meter movement on power up is cool.

The fact a stock suspension can take my fat ass and only bottom out (without any adjustment at all) on fairly aggressive stuff is nice. I expect once I've bolted on farkles and packed for a trip that I'll be far beyond the stock suspension capabilities once I park my lard ass on it, but that remains to be seen.

Riding the bike instills such a feeling of confidence, from the moment you start moving. I've never felt so comfortable riding a bike hard from the geto go as I have with this bike. Less than 100 miles into owning the bike someone mentioned I had no chicken strips left. I'm not a squid nor do I typically lean to knee dragging extremes, but I felt very comfortable on the bike right off the bat.

It's versatility is very good and oddly enough, the compromises it makes to achieve that aren't severe. Sure, it's not going to rival a CRF450 in the dirt. But if there were a CRF800 it might not compare all that unfavorably.

It's a very fun bike to ride. Haven't regretted the purchase for a moment. Except when it comes to making the monthly payment... :rofl but that passes quickly.

Knowing every little thing I've learned about the bike, I'd still buy it again. Which to me says they did a good job on it.
  6. azze007

azze007 Sort of ADV, mostly just a rider

Oddometer:
    Can you say something about the chain maintenance?
    How often do you lube it? I heard it has to be done every 600 km
  7. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    It's mine!

Rob
  8. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Is there a larger fuel tank? I test road one and it would be perfect if the tank were at least 5.5 gallons. Any aftermarket to reppace the stock tank?
  9. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's FUN to ride...any where, any time!:lol3
  10. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    It's the bike I've been wanting for a few years, after enjoying KLRs for a very long time. More power, better handling, better brakes, solid, a good compromise for making miles quickly or quite slowly. Yessir, BMW scratched the itch many of us have had for along time with this one. Looks cool, to. :clap
  11. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    We liked the F8GS so much we got two! (My yellow one is faster than her grey one, btw) While it's not a perfect tourer nor an uber nimble woods bike it is the best compromise between the two. If you were to look in my helmet while I'm riding it would look something like this --> :D
  12. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Could not have said it better myself.

Resounding YES!

:clap
  13. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    I am counting on the rumors of Touratech making some side tanks like the ones for the BMW 650 single. I'm hoping for an extra 10 litres or so. I'll be first in line if it comes true.
  14. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Damn this thread has too many +1's. I loved my KLR aside from the oil burning issue. But when I saw the F800GS at the Long Beach IMS I knew I had to have it. Now that I do own one I really have minimal complaints as this bike is in a class all of its own.

For us USA'ers we truly have limited options for a middle weight ADV bike. No Alpine Twin, no Tenre, nothing much at all. The F800GS nicely fills the gap between the KLR and the GS1200 or KTM 990. That's just my 2cents of course, YMMV.

:D
  15. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh :huh

Dude...

Ok, I will admit to wanting to move into a loft type arrangement, so i can park my bike inside. But that's just so it will be easy to work on...:lol3
  16. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    ...and speaking of oil...

I'm at 7000 miles. I've changed the oil 4 times. I've checked it countless times.

NOT ONE DROP USED!!!!!:beer

I've ridden boxers and KLRs for the past 8 years. I'd gotten used to packing oil for all trips and planned resupply enroute...fill up gas, add oil was the routine.

The F800GS Rotax is my fantasy engine. Combined with all the other great points already listed, the fact that I no long worry about oil consumption makes this bike the best I've ever owned.:deal

and yes I do sit and stare at it. :D
  17. midengineracer

midengineracer Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer:
    I test rode the 800GS, fell in love with everything except the price.
    So, in June, I ordered and took delivery of the 650. Slightly softer (more street) and available with TPMS.
    I love the ABS. I loved the height of the 800 but can live with the lower hight of the 650. The windscreen is adequate for riding around town and short runs on the interstate. More than enough when I am riding in dirt.
    The bikes are both well balanced. Purely as street machines, they both provide confidence through their feedback and stability. I started dragging the toes of my boots rather quickly (I ride a bit pigeon-toed...) which was a nice confidence boost after being knocked off my 1200RT.
    For the bike's ability to rapidly rebuild my comfort and confidence riding, it was worth every penny I paid. The fact that I use it 4-5 times a week as my primary mover means the bike will pay its premium quickly compared to my other bikes that spent more time sitting around waiting for me to ride.

+'s
    Ridability
    Availability (big bikes make themselves less available for the daily ride)
    Adaptability
    Stock balance between two-sports
    Fuel mileage
    Exhaust sound
    ABS
    Available options (wish I had ordered heated grips)
    Looks (of the 800 more so than the 650)
    Non-premium fuel (Every other BMW I wanted needs 91)
    Smooth running motor (ask the thumpers)
    I like Canbus...:nod Yes, I do.
  18. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    The 800 is my dream bike, too, but I've come to that conclusion since buying it. I remember the first time I opened that BMW bike brochure and flipped to the back to check out the GS lineup. I was fully expecting another 650 single in Dakar clothing, but when I turned the page and saw the 800 in it's Dewalt colors, I just got all teary-eyed. I always had a thing for the 1150 GS adventure, and rode one a few times, but knew better than to venture off-road alone on that beast. This bike does all the same things, but looks better and does everything better in my opinion. Anyway, I was just out in the garage admiring mine tonight before jumping on the 'puter. Let me give ya'll a hint: she looks even sexier with a titanium Remus slip-on. And don't even get me started on the SOUND!:evil:evil:evil
  19. dsavage

dsavage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a F650GS twin in early December and love it. Have added touratech bash plate, oil filter guard, hand guards, radiator guard and engine guard. Just ordered Happy Trails panniers. I bought this bike because it is lighter than my 12gs and can easily load and unload from my truck. Plan to do a lot of dirt and gravel riding in New Mexico and southern Colorado. Only complaint is the seat is a brick. Ordered a sheep skin cover this morning from Barb the Babe. Anyone have a suggestion on tires?
  20. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    it seems the general consensous is tkc 's that is what i'm going to try after i wear out the battlewings-thou they don't seem too bad in the dry dirt think they suck in mud or sand, might even try a battle wing rear with a tkc front.