F650 GS - front brake sliding pins seized-rusted-stuck

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Endurio, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Endurio

Endurio n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi dear,
    Just to open the thread because of unexpectable nightmare of seized pins on front brakes.
    It can cause low performance of stopping(especialy for GS with ABS) the brake pad can stuck/fall while driving, so advice is to service the whole brakes, not only the pads!

On every 20000 - 30000, seal the pins and following rubber on brakes with brembo silicon grease for brake pins(it is appropriate for this, because of temperature resistant so grease could not find the way to the pads trough high temperatures).

Because of hard finding parts(there is no BMW part number for sliding PINs)the shortcut is to go in closest HONDA dealer and ask for sliding pins for CB 500 bike, it is the same parts(metal and finish made in Japan). Part numbers for pins: 45131-166-016(abou 3$), 45131-HA5-672(about 10$).
    If you have damaged rubbers for pins, Part number for Brembo set rubbers with silicone grease is: 06439MAK003(about 12$).

There is pictures of parts in attach.

So i hope that somebody will read the post and find the parts on one place. I was not so lucky, so there was a lot of digging the internet and few days without bike!!!

Attached Files:

shuswap1, NaMi and JRWooden like this.
  2. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. Got a part number for the cotter pin. The one that goes thru the pads?.
  3. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I've found using 1500 grit wet sandpaper does a super nice job in getting the old corrosion off of the pins making them like new.
    casf likes this.
  4. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting part numbers for some alternative sources. After reading about the issues with the sliders here some years back I adopted the suggestion to lube the pins every time the wheels are off for a tire change.
  5. Endurio

Endurio n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, silicon seal is very consistent and durable, if the rubbers is undamaged seal could be like new after 20000 for sure. If somebody "overwash" bike(brakes) for example frequent washing with watercompressor directly on brakes, water will wash the seal and you have to seal the pins more frequently, Or if you ride frequent the bike on OFF road and you damage the rubbers, you should change the rubbers somethimes...
    Overlubing the pins will damage the rubbers, because the sliding rubber need some effort, if you lube it every time your wheel off, probability of damaging rubbers is closest to 1.
    Any case, brakes should be in top form, it is really risky to forget full service of brakes on long term...

It is the nice job "couple of minutes", clean the calipers, check/seal pins, clean pads, and you have secured your brake and head.
  6. Endurio

Endurio n00b

Oddometer:
    Front brake pad pin should be the Part No.
    06436-MAK-003
  7. Endurio

Endurio n00b

Oddometer:
    And i forgot to say that my english is like shit, bullshit
  8. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the append - I've filed that info away for future use! :beer