F650 GS Too Hot?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DeLonghi, Dec 2, 2008.

1. DeLonghi

DeLonghi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After only 1,200km of VERY EASY riding I noticed some "water marks" on the engine. Visual inspection revealed that the coolant's hose (attached to the engine part) moved over an inch and coolant started to leak. Sent the bike back to dealer and they said the hose was clamped properly. There must have been tremendous pressure build up for the hose to budge. They're now slowly isolating the problem to the thermostat which doesn't seem to activate the aux fan "early enough". BMW Philippines says they ran the bike stationary for 15 minutes and the thermostat read 100+ Celsius. Is this bike really boiling hot?

I only ran 8km that day and I did notice the aux fan turn on. No warnings from the OBC and it wasn't a very hot day then. I'm only comparing the operating temperature to a super four I use occasionally and there's a huge difference! The aux fan of the S4 rarely turns on so it tells me that the operating temp is quite low compared to the BMW. Is there any truth to this? Anyone had similar problems? Anyone have any other ideas what's going on with my bike? My BMW experience is fast turning sour.
  2. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Shit happens. With any bike.

Who knows, it might have a bad thermostat, or the hose was bogus, or aliens fiddled with it in the middle of the night.

Doesn't sound like a global conspiracy to cook all F650GSes though! If one problem turns you sour, you might want to look for a new Honda Accord and get away from bikes. In the scheme of things, it doesn't sound big.
  3. DeLonghi

DeLonghi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely nothing helpful in your comment tedder. WTF ... honda accord? Dumbass comments like these ... sheeesh!
  4. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a bit of a known issue.:deal It's not an overpressure issue, it's just a shitty hose clamp. Replace the hose clamp with a normal screw type.
  5. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Settle down, noob.

The point is not to freak out over one little thing. Let your mechanics figure it out. Honda Accord because I'm saying if a non-final-drive BMW moto isn't reliable enough for you, it's time to get a reliable cage.
  6. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but those break too! What's a person to do????

100 degrees Celsius is only 212 degrees Fahrenheit. Pressure systems can run hotter than this just fine. T-stat may be bad, hose can move on fitting.

Let 'em sort it out. Report back what they find.

Nothing in this world is infallible. Shit happens. Open your T-stat and cool down some.
  7. DeLonghi

DeLonghi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My apologies Tedder. The sun and the moon aren't aligned for me today and, yes, I am freaking out. Thanks for putting that into perspective.

Thanks also for all other replies. I'll try to have the dealer replace the hose clamp, although they already mentioned that there was nothing wrong with it. They had a very difficult trying to remove it.

..fingers crossed.
  8. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    :D

Have a good one. Stay around here.
  9. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I believe there is a special "BMW tool" for removing those clamps.

There is a long thread on the "hoses slipping off" issue over on:

http://www.ukgser.com

you can read up on it there several things have been suggested not sure which are really the "best" solution:

1) some folks think that BMW has come out with a new P/N hose
    2) worm gear clamps instead of the spring clamps
    3) roughening of the clamping surfaces so the hose has a better "grip"
    4) check of radiator cap & cooling fan circuit to insure that bike does not get too hot or develop too much pressure in the cooling system.

I have a F650GS and have not had any issues so far... 2000 miles. I have been keeping an eye on it...

Jim
  10. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should get a Wee, and then you would not have these kinds of problems. So long.
  11. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Eh, they have their own problems. F650GS is a good bike.
  12. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting too hot should not cause excessive pressure. The rad cap should have a pressure release so no matter how hot it gets, the bike should release pressure rather than blow itself up. It could be that the rad cap is not properly releasing pressure. I've seen a few reports of hoses coming off the 800cc BMW's and not sure what the cause is. It could be that the BMW clamps just do not provide enough clamping force or it could be that the pressure release is not releasing pressure properly.

Most liquid cooled bikes are set so that the thermostat is fully open by about 190 deg F and then the fans should come on around 220 deg F and the motor should always be below 240 deg F.

good luck
  13. DeLonghi

DeLonghi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got word from my dealer that the thermostat failed to open the valve for the coolant. That caused the excessive pressure so they ordered replacement parts for me. They included replacement hose and clamps as well but those would have to come from Germany. Oh well.
  14. DeLonghi

DeLonghi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I missed this one BikePilot. Now this makes sense to me! I guess I'll find out soon enough - they already ordered the parts. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. Even with the thermostat stuck it should boil over, but not cause any hoses to pop/buldge or otherwise get screwy, the cap should release the pressure from the boil over. Might be worth asking the dealership about.

good luck