1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F650GS 2010 Owners - Need Your Advice STAT KINDLY!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Saintcharm, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Saintcharm

Saintcharm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Ladies And Gents,

New to the BMW motorcycle scene and I just recently acquired a 2010 F650GS just a little over 6 weeks now. I’ll just go straight to the point and I did use the search bar, quite didn’t see any answer that would fit my needs.
    I am looking to replace the stock seat ASAP. The incline tends to push my buttocks down to the gas tank and within 30 minutes, it is totally debilitating and can be really painful between my legs as I keep sliding down towards the gas tank and as it putting pressure on my groin. Hence, it totally takes the Fun away from riding.
    Please note: I am 5’6 and I need your advice as to which seat can provide a leveled (not slanted or inclined) or a seat that has flat surface and yet will not compromise the height.

Noted Corbin, Sargent, and Saddlemen are quite popular but I don’t want to get ‘em and suffer the same consequence. Until I hear back from any of you.

Positive vibes or feedback will be greatly appreciated. But this seat has to go ✌️

Thank you!

SC

Attached Files:

2. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everybody here will definitely agree that the standard seat is a huge torture and anything else is an improvement. But unfortunately, it is very difficult to say which alternative fits YOU the best. You should still be able to risk a couple buy/sell rounds (preferably second hand) to try different aftermarket seats, IMO.
  3. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    If you specify the incline of the seat as part of a custom seat order, you should be protected against disappointment, even if it went to a second fitting. I'd rely upon that more than hearing what others say.

If your chosen custom seat-maker doesn't offer their own seat pans, you might want to buy a used seat (the uglier the better) just for the pan so that you have a ride pending delivery of your custom seat.
  4. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I have a seat concepts on mine, best thing I ever did. I'm about your height too.
  5. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your profile says Sunny California. My suggestion ... make an appointment at Corbin in Hollister (South Bay in NorCal) - ride to the appointment and ride right into their garage. It's what myself and my wife each did. They cut the saddle right there in front of you and you get to give them feedback on the whole thing. It winds up being perfectly fitted for YOUR BUM. If you've got the location and the time to do it....do it this way. You'll get what you want and what you need.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My BMW (so-called) comfort seat wasn't living up to the billing, sliding forward until the goods screamed in pain. I'd say this has improved 80% with cycling-style shorts, even though they have zero padding they help tremendously.
  7. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of Renazco seats. Have them on several bikes and haven't found anything better. Seats are highly personal choice though and not everyone is looking for same things. Nice thing about a Renazco is they are built to your specs and wishes. Fabric, color, height, width etc. Just tell James what you're looking for when he calls to discus the build. He is a wizard with seats.
    http://www.renazco.com/

Hes also in CA but I dont know if hes setup for walk in business, especially with covid and all.
  8. sharrrrrrad

sharrrrrrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know which brand will suit you best. But, if you are willing to do a DIY, you can remove the punched pins and add some cushion as per your need. See if it helps. 055-2234-21.jpg
  9. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would recommend that you first get some bar risers.
    I faced the same situation when I got my F800 GS ten years ago.
    I wound up getting a @Renazco seat also, still have it, but James suggested that a bar riser would probably do more to alleviate the issue of being forced into the tank. He was absolutely right. I put on some Rox Risers angled a little backwards and they helped tremendously in keeping my groin from riding on to the tank.
    shuswap1 and ROMAD like this.
  10. leungevity

leungevity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol, you know i have never assumed the problem was the seat, i just thought it was me. i'm shorter than you at 5'3" and just assumed i sort of had to sit forward to fit. hmm... i have a seat concepts carcass sitting in my garage that came with the bike...
  11. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got 60K miles with an Air Hawk pad - couldn't ride without it. Not because of your problem, but because the stock seat is a concrete pad! I also "had" bar risers on for years. "Had" because I just removed them. Why? I recently rode 2,000 miles in 6 days (usually a sub 200 mile day guy), and my shoulder muscles are still sore. Thinking maybe it's due to the bar risers so I'm gonna ride a bit without them. Strangely enough, so far I can't hardly tell a difference. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm shopping for a new seat. I'm 5'7" with 30" inseam.
  12. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the bar height issue, I always move my scotts damper over to each bike and end up with taller bars from the mounts. ADVer is absolutely correct, bar height is an important factor.

When I get a new to me bike, one of the first things I do is work on adjusting the ergonomics to work with me anywhere I touch the bike. Pegs, seats, bar, grips and levers always get a long look and usually replaced or adjusted to work with me better.
    sharrrrrrad and ADVer like this.
  13. cnoonz

cnoonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi SC,
    I had to send my Corbin back twice before they raised the front of the seat enough to stop the dreaded forward slide on my 2010 F650GS Twin. Now it is great. I'm going to send you a PM with some info.
    Cnoonz
  14. Saintcharm

Saintcharm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Please! Will wait for your info!

Thanks!