F650gs for passengers

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by liceyscrub, Mar 23, 2009.

1. liceyscrub

liceyscrub ADV rider(mostly solo)

Oddometer:
    I am looking into getting a F650GS, but have not got to test ride one yet. Does anyone have experience riding double on one? my wife only occationally rides with me and I would like to let her have that option and I am not sure if the 650gs has adaquate room for a passenger.
  2. frtzl

frtzl Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer:
    I am 6' @ 200lbs and my SO is 5'4" and 115lbs, we took a long buzz through the twisty roads of DE and SoPA on Saturday and my '09 F650GS was fine. The bike's naturally low CoG and my SO's preternaturally good balance helped, too.

We did not have any luggage attached and we went about 100mi on back roads.

The seat was our limiting factor. Air hawks, gel pads, or similar seat enhancements will be mandatory before any longer rides.

Would I go across the country 2up? No. But I wouldn't hesitate to do a weekender w/ camping gear.

F
  3. seebag

seebag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a week (3500+ kms / 2100+ miles) riding two up and had no issues whatsoever. I am 5'-8", 170lbs and my girlfriend is 5'-1", 105lbs. Had an additional 26lbs of panniers / camping gear / clothes / etc with us. Riding was in varied terrain ranging from flat prairie land through the rockies to the west coast and back. Even though it was my first tour on this bike riding two up, the bike always felt like it had more than adequate power and I always felt under control while braking. Very predictable riding experience, in my opinion.

As mentioned in the post above, the stock seat leaves something to be desired on the longer trips. In our case, we took a beaded car seat cover and fashioned a make shift cover while waiting for my order from beadrider to come in. Don't laugh, a million taxi drivers in New York can't be wrong :D. Anyways, both myself and my girlfriend couldn't believe the difference (for only $13). Another required mod is a touring type windshield. I went with the BMW model as selection was limited, but would probably look for a cheaper alternative if I was to purchase one now. It's good, but not $400 good.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    You're kill'n me ... knock it off :rofl

Seriously, I'd go with the beadrider except I want to get rid of the "dip" in th front section as well....
    I guess that would be do-able somehow...
    Does the beadrider "exaggerate" the tendancy to slide forward in to the dip/swoop part of the seat?

Thanks,
    jim