F650GS Oryx re-vival. Faster, better, stronger.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by TobyG, Aug 20, 2017.

1. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    Straight back to work right after, taking care of all sorts of bits and bobs.

Would you like a larger brake pedal? Machine an extension!

[​IMG]

Would you like an axle puller? Machine an axle puller!

[​IMG]

Would you like shorty levers to suit your needs? Machine some levers!
    Note the third photo to put the size of my CNC into perspective. And yet it is so useful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonus points for anyone who can guess what specifically I machined this socket for my on-the-bike-toolkit for?
    1/4"drive.

[​IMG]

Checked clearance with the new, tiny O2 Sensor. A standard sensor will not clear with this custom header and raised engine subframe bars,
    recently I stumbled upon these new tiny sensors from Delphi and got a good deal on two which were removed from a new bike.

[​IMG]

And on to the headlight/speedo/fairing/fender mount.

Machined the side profiles from aluminium, all else is welded stainless.
    Took a bit of bend, try on, bend a little more to get it to fit as intended.
    I already had the windshield and a mould for the fender, the mount/s had to be made accordingly.
    Instead of building a mounting plate for the (TT IMO) speedo into it as before, I just welded a small plate with a couple mounting holes on,
    since I had just scored a TrailTech Voyager for cheap and opted to be able to mount that instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I now ran a physically way smaller LED low beam, I tried fitting the Xenon controller onto the headlight bracket,
    for test fitting everything I used the old bracket from the accident, after bending it back into roughly the original shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I decided it was time to put in to it's wheels just because,
    so I ordered a few parts to be turned and machined, for now just the from brake disc adapter and the sprocket adapter for the rear wheel.

Actually, I don't think I talked about the suspension and wheels for this build?
    Originally, the Oryx came with Wp4357 forks, mine had 280mm of travel, they were supplied by Touratech with everything ready to go so you could bolt them right on and use the stock F650GS wheel, brake, lock etc. and a WP shock with 250mm travel.

I decided to retain the triple clamps from TT, but use a 45mm Marzocchi fork with 300mm of travel.
    For a front wheel I have chosen an Excel Pro Series hub with a custom brake disc adapter allowing me to keep using the BMW brake system altogether.
    The axle is from a BMW G450X, but it's just a hair shorter than it should be, hence the need for an axle puller. No big deal other than that.

On the rear end, I was able to get not one, but two 280mm shocks which were offered in conjunction with this swingarm only.
    The wheel is a 18x2.5" Excel rim on a Funduro hub with very thick stainless spokes, as were used on many F650GS Rally bikes,
    in fact both rear wheels I have were used in the Dakar and a couple other Rallys. They are a little bit lighter than a GS-hub wheel and the cush drive is considered superior.
    Whether I'll feel the difference? I doubt it.
    The sprocket adapter and custom wheel spacers are required since the hub is more narrow and the swingarm wider than the stock GS counterparts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While for these parts to show up, there was more odd parts that needed to be made,
    the battery tray I was able to salvage, but I modified it a little. Nothing worth noting, really.

[​IMG]

The right hand side radiator had to be tilted a little to allow proper clearance to the wheel and both were fitted with a radiator and plumbed in with T-pieces I welded up.
    While I was at it, I welded the attachment points for the side plastics on the radiator frames.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone remember how I said I wanted everything vital easily accessible?
    No problemo with the radiators, I just have to undo two bolts on the left one to remove the valve cover,
    but I'm not too happy with my oil tank mount. Shouldn't have tossed the old one I'd made.

For now, it'll stay, but next time I get the welder out...

[​IMG]

On a completely unrelated note, how many things do you guys lose when you move?
    Turns out I lost the shock reservoir mount. Oops, time to fire the mill up again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also machined a housing for the FPR that just gets ziptied to the rear frame rail.

[​IMG]

Speaking of rear frames, the plastics I intended to use (similar ones I'd used before) didn't quite fit the front plastics, I'd regulary snag my pants on the rearmost edge of the main front panel, since that sat proud of the rear plastics.
    The fix for that? Bondo of course!

Step 1, close unnecessary holes:

[​IMG]

Step 2, create cutouts to fit around the front plastic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 3, make a mess (always smart to work with front plastics that you already painted long before!):

[​IMG]

Step 4, sand the mess down, rinse and repeat until you end up with something that doesn't look like a lunar landscape [a point which I am yet to reach]:

[​IMG]

Put some nifty cutouts slots for the luggage rack in:

[​IMG]

Of course I'm doing this to take a mould off of those once I'm finished sanding, not gonna weigh the bike down with pounds upon pounds of Bondo :D

mehoww, Gravel Seeker and invisa-bill like this.
  2. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Just to throw the timeline completely out of context, got me a parcel from the lasercutting place today :raabia

[​IMG]

Radiator guards, headlight brackets, front fender brackets (the one shown above isn't ideal), chain guide mount etc.

Couldn't wait and quickly bent one of the heat guards and put it on

[​IMG]

For better (or worse?) I finally caved in for a AC/DC Tig machine, too, after looking every now and then for months now.
    Should arrive early next week.
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Nice one some excellent work there I cant decide between a lathe or AC/DC Tig machine these guys will build one to your requirements, looks like a proxxon cnc set-up you have got there which one did you get I am uhmming and aaahing over this one
  4. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Is that the FPR from the X-Challenge? is that going to be mounted in the tank

I was got this little baby but I like your well laid out Barb set-up
    [​IMG]
  5. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    What angles banjo did you use again? 90* at the MC and 60* at the caliper?
    Hose length about 120cm?
  6. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Stock F650Gs FPR, gets zip tied to the rear frame.

Regarding lathe vs. welder:
    I know a handful of people who own or have access to a lathe, but none an Ac Tig. Made the decision easier. That and the lack of space for a lathe.

Got me an older Stahlwerk 200 Amp.
    Made in China of course, but the word of mouth is they aren't too bad and if they survive the first year or two of use you got a good chance they'll last.
    Didn't pay much either, 300.

The CNC is based on a Proxxon MF70, yes. Not much left of it though.

120cm, 90° at the MC and 70° at the caliper. 60° at the caliper will work, too.
  7. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    ATA guess a tool to loosen the front axle. I made something similar for my toolkit out of a 19mm hex head bolt and a couple of nuts. (When I had a dakkar with yz426 forks) Yours is better looking :photog:lol3 Bike is looking good:clap
    TobyG likes this.
  8. TobyG

Oddometer:
    We got a winner :drums
  9. TobyG

Oddometer:
    How to better start the day by drilling holes into a swingarm rare as hens teeth?
    Measure, measure again, start with a tiny pilot hole to check you got it right, take a deep breath and go for it.

[​IMG]

And all of that to put the new insert (bottom) into the swingarm to accept the chain guide bracket.
    Worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got me another parcel, a used side tank. No idea what bike it was on, but the size looked good and I now had an AC Tig to weld new mounts on it, remember?
    Originally I wanted to use a Baja Designs 1.1 gal KTM side panel tank, but it's orange. And for the wrong side. And would've required some reshaping in a couple spots.

[​IMG]

If anyone wants the Baja Designs side panel tank, it's up for grabs. New old stock, never had any fuel in it, so it could still be used to hold water, comes with the mounting kit.

For some light hearted fun, I bent a couple more of the lasercut parts and fitted them,
    started with the headlight mount, old vs. new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...now for the taillight/license plate/turn signals, a little ugly taillight/reflector combo, yeah, but street legal by our rules
    and I'm not gonna see it when I ride :dunno

[​IMG]

Radiator guard, with ample clearance to the triple clamps (still now news from my lathe guy regarding the stem for the new triples :( )

[​IMG]

And the front fender mount, second revision. Third will follow in a later post. Or maybe this one, if I feel like it.

[​IMG]

That didn't buzz me, so I needed something more fun. First aluminium welds!
    And first welds with a foot pedal (already loving it! My old machine didn't have the capability to connect one)!

2mm AlMg3

[​IMG]

Started getting good penetration on the last welds on the right.
    Good enough for the girls I go out with anyways :augie

[​IMG]

Oooook, I lied, this was the first one. Didn't have any filler, yet and just fished two pieces from the scrap bin.

[​IMG]

Now remember that oil tank mount that I was unhappy with?
    First thing that had to suffer from me using my new toy.

[​IMG]

In fact, that poor oil tank had to suffer a lot. Way more than even I liked.
    When else would you weld some die cast aluminium that held oil before, than as your first aluminium welding project?
    At this point noone can dispute if you blame the shitty welds on being a total beginner ;)

And let me assure you, that stuff welded about as good as a piece of steel that spent the last ten years in a puddle of mud.
    So. Many. Inclusions. And the bubbling *shudder*
    Preheating like hell in an attempt to help it gas out didn't do sheeeeet, as far as I'm concerned.

Boy was I glad that POS passed the pressure test after I had to touch a couple spots up three times.

[​IMG]

Also in this photo is the new mount for the intake temp sensor, ziptied to the frame. Machined, then welded.

Since I no longer have and airbox, I had the option to put a filter on the crankcase vent or to make a small oil catch can,
    Obviously I went with the more complicated. Just gets plugged onto the oil tank, simple as that.
    The filter is from an RC car engine.

The extended oil tank holds 3.2 liters, 1.2 more than stock, bringing the total oil volume up to 3.5 liters.

[​IMG]

Fitted the fuel tank right after, cut off the old mounts, welded the new ones on.
    Still not the prettiest welds, but they'll do the job.

[​IMG]

For anyone who hasn't noticed, I did shorten the rear rack somewhere in between. I originally made it quite long in order to transport my folding kayak,
    but that's gone now since I have the van.

As for the radiators, I ended up removing 3 of the 4 barbs for the coolant hose and welded new ones one, since the old ones weren't all too well suited to my needs. But again, didn't have the AC Tig back then, nor did I know I was gonna have another two welders by the end of this project.

Couldn't help but put the bags on as well, just because.

[​IMG]

Didn't like what was out there in regards to handlebar switchgear, which meant the mill had to do some work again.

Right hand side, ignition and start button.

[​IMG]

Left hand side, high/low headlight, turn signals, horn, tripmaster, roadbook.

[​IMG]

Before I forgot, also machined a new drain plug (accepts a temp sensor). For this sorta thing a lathe would be neat.
    Milling in two setups, then manually cutting the threads on with a modified die (to the able to cut all the way) takes rather long.

[​IMG]

Got more parts from the getting place, the third (final, I reckon?) revision of the front mudguard mount.

[​IMG]

Plenty of space left behind the "windshield" (Disclaimer: Doesn't shield the rider from wind) for wiring

With the handlebar switchgear in and wired, I decided to see if my wiring loom shenanigans from well over a year ago
    were worth it or if I was gonna end up with a molten blob of copper and burnt cable sheathing, all covered in fire extinguisher powder.

See for yourselves:

Success :pope!!!
    The fuel pump runs, I have a spark and the motor turns over, can't wait to move the bike out of the basement and put some fuel in!

All prepped to work on the wiring tomorrow, did some bundling and routing before I called it a day,
    still have to sort the connectors for the speedo and headlights, as well as making the loom for the taillights/turn signals.

[​IMG]

Oh boy, it's getting there. Reading back, I skipped over tons of boring, but very much time consuming details.
    Already learned a whole lot building this bike, though, mostly by correcting my own dumb mistakes :fpalm:augie
    Pezz_gs, mehoww, Gedrog and 3 others like this.
  10. TobyG

Oddometer:
    We are officially on the home stretch!

Took the bike apart today and will drop the painted parts off to be blasted tomorrow,
    once I get them it's time for paint closely followed by re-assembly.

Didn't get around to finishing the rear plastics, still, but I'll get the positives ready while waiting for the parts from blasting,
    so that I can quickly do a final test fit and make the moulds right after.

The preliminary weigh-in result is also there, slightly missed the mark of 165kg, the scale showed 166.3kg (367lbs).
    However, when I weighed it, there was no bashplate mounted, the workstand was still on and there's a heavy Michelin Desert with a Mousse mounted on the rear rim.
    I reckon there still is a fighting chance I can hit the 165kg target. If all else fail I could swap the 2.7kg Hawker PC310 for a Lithium battery.

Not that I really care that much or would want to trade my Hawker, since it's been darn reliable.

Overall though, not too bad I reckon. Shaved some 3kg off of the original Oryx weight in the process, still.
    Despite adding weight in some parts, e.g. the dual radiators with the mounting frame, the rear frame ended up a little heavier since the new one is longer,
    nevermind the large luggage rack and additional fuel tank.
    ferals5 and Pezz_gs like this.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Is that dry, full wet with fuel and oil or somewhere in between?
  12. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Wet, but no fuel.
  13. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Did you mention fuel capacity?
  14. TobyG

Oddometer:
    10-11L in the center tank, the aux tank holds 5.

For the most part, 200km of range is plenty good, but since I still found myself carrying a jerry can when doing some exploration rather often,
    I figured I might as well put an aux tank on.
  15. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, get that.
    So you're at ca 165 + 15 kg wet then (175-180kg depending on if the aux tank is full). Anxious to see what mine weighs when I hoist it up under the rafters soon, though I was landing close to the 185 mark, since they are 193 wet from the factory, but rather doubtful now.
  16. TobyG

Oddometer:
    The specific weight of gasoline is about 0.75kg, 12kg for 16L.

Travel-ready I was hoping to keep it below 200kg with everything on board, looks like I'm good there,
    about 22kg to spare. That should work out fine, I do pack very light usually and when took the bike apart yesterday it became quite apparent that I can downsize my onboard toolkit a whole lot.
  17. TobyG

Oddometer:
    First batch of parts is painted, swingarm is going to follow on sunday, since that's the only part to get clear coat and nothing but clear coat.
    The remainder of parts (and those where I missed a spot) will get done next week, got to grab some more paint, thought I still had more.

And yes, that's my van being used as a paint booth, yet another reason I do batches, space is at a premium :lol3

[​IMG]

Thanks to @Gedrog it'll still be some 3 weeks or so before I can ride it, since I no longer have footpeg brackets. Already ordered parts to make new ones from the lasercutting place, but the lead time is the aforementioned 3 weeks atm.

I guess that buys me time to finish those rear plastics that I keep talking about.
  18. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic build! Love to see a picture of your shop and mill. I am a machinist type guy and always appreciate that stuff.

And the fact you rewired the entire bike is a testimate to how far you will go! Well done and look forward to final product.
  19. zukjeff

zukjeff OCD,ADHD,ADV

Oddometer:

Loverly "Exploded view" ...

Or is it an art installation ! ?
    TobyG and Roadracer_Al like this.
  20. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Are those powder coated?
    If not, how long do you let them cure and why no clear coat to protect the paint?

I've painted my side- and center stands quite a few times now and the paint keeps just scraping off really easy when I use the stands.