F650GS Oryx re-vival. Faster, better, stronger.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by TobyG, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    You we very quick to let it go:roflat least now you will do a proper job with the plastic's
    I agree with @Fin333 love to see the workshop

As we discussed the other day I was now in the market for my own CNC milling machine the manual milling is a bit tiresome and prone to my errors
    Remember this one for £5,415.49 However I was looking through some old mails where we discuss a different swing arm and Konstantinidis Georgios sent me a link to his business I cant remember his ADVrider handle
    He sells machining tools as well I like what he has too offer
    EMV-25VBB Hobby Milling machine bundle for stand and some collets included for £1,549.80 or just the machine for £1200
    He is in the process of developing a EMV-25VBB CNC Conversion kit for £1560 excluding the motor's I will be putting my deposit down £780.00
    The motors will be another £900
    I like how you can build it up in modules as you can afford it

After the side stand mod I will be putting my Chester BV16 Mill up on Fleebay
    Lots of different MT2 tool holders because I will have to upgrade to R8 tool holders
  2. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    Dang it, should've parked in front of a gallery and said it'd be a temporary installation :lol3

Nope, I am using Brantho Korrux 3in1, a 1K paint that combines everything from primer to finish coat. Used it on my truck before and I was quite impressed with how it held up so far.

In thin coats, it is dry enough to handle within an hour or two, but I went for a thicker coat on some parts, so I left it overnight.

The problem I had with powdercoat is that it chips so easy. And once it's chipped, rust will have a field day, a proper "repair" of a chipped powdercoat is sandblasting and powdercoating again, not a fan of that. Hence I decided not to use it on the bike anymore.
    Now the Brantho stuff is pretty tough, elastic, wear resistant and it can easily be touched up.
    Either with a rattle can or just a brush. Or a spray gun, for that matter, but the clean up involved isn't worth using that for a touch up.
    Good enough for me to give it a shot on the bike.

I will, however, still cover some high wear areas with protection film (3m PU8591),
    such as the frame where the boots rub, you know, where BMW originally also put some film,
    the inside of the swingarm (front only) to protect from stone chips and maybe the downtube in front of the engine, for stone chip protection as well.

Won't put any foil on the kickstand, but I am sure that it will wear off on there rather quick, on the part you hook with your boot to put the stand down.
    As it did before, with either paint or powdercoat.

Thanks mate!

The plan is to lay out all the parts when it comes to re-assembly (which will be done with the on-board toolkit only, sans the castellated socket to adjust the upper engine mounts),
    since I sorta maybe skipped some things. IDK.

I might give a small shop tour after, even though there's not much of a shop to speak off atm,
    to keep it short, my tool chest is on the ground floor (just rolled that heavy sumbitch in an unoccupied corner),
    for a shop I am mostly using somebody elses shop, now filled with my powertools and welders, the bike occupied a storage room in the basement during the initial build.

Now that this is done, I'll cart most of my stuff in said storage room until I go back to uni (probably next year?),
    where I'll hopefully find a garage to set up my own shop again. Everything being spread all over the house gets old in a hurry.

You didn't really leave me a choice now, did you :D

Komatias is is handle on here. Can't @ him for some reason.
    Can't wait to see what you came up with for the kickstand. And which you'll end up using.

In other news, the second run, consisting of the swingarm only, is done.
    Love the contrast of the dull and dark cast aluminium vs. the box section arms.

[​IMG]
    tkach, JagLite and Gravel Seeker like this.
  3. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately had to work all day so did not get much garage time Komatias still has a profile but his last postings were when we discussed the swing arm
    But I might get in touch with him anyway and discuss the option to modify the TT swing-arm with a quick release and quick chain adjuster cant upload pictures tonight just getting loads of Java errors from this site
    huge risk but will be excellent reward
  4. zukjeff

zukjeff OCD,ADHD,ADV

Oddometer:
    Is this an appropriate time to ask if you or anyone here uses a home sandblasting kit or do we send it out ?
    The up side to sending it out is its cleaned and undercoated by them within the hour of being soda, sand or bead blasted.
  5. TobyG

Oddometer:
    He got the drawings for just that - it was planned to make a couple inserts for the stock swingarm some years ago,
    but then never really happened. I'd still be interested though, to be honest. I even got a good used swingarm to modify a little as to get to use it with a 280 shock,
    that'd be a good one to put those in.

As for me, I have access to a blasting cabinet, but it's a siphon system and thereby doesn't have the punch to deal with powdercoats and such,
    so I almost always end up just dropping the parts off at a shop that does sandblasting and pick them up the next day or so.

And then there is Mullet5: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...e-ive-ever-ridden.618122/page-5#post-14253267

The whole thread is worth a read :photog
  6. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Searching online here yields no results for that stuff, but I'll check a paint shop and possibly with an auto body repair and paint place since I might possibly ask for quotes to touch up my car later this year as well. Might be a similar product under different name available.
    Did you use a spray gun on compressed air or rattle can? (if rattle can, do you prefer pistol grip or just regular nozzle)

With all the work you've put down I'd most def. apply a few grams of protective film. My BMW film is still going strong after almost two decades. Albeit with a few air pockets, but they've been there for ages now and don't get any larger.

I thought you said you'd just clear coat the swing? Is that the color of the cast alu? Cool. Almost looks like gunmetal grey (the Cleveland sand wedge in gunmetal grey is the coolest club in my bag).

My problem is the steel tip of the MX boots scrape the paint off. I've tried several paints and the only thing that actually works has been powder.
    Am mowing to an adventure boot now though without the steel tip, so might not be an issue any longer.

I've sent it out the few times I've done it. Blast and coat is cheap in my experience, but it'd be cool to do the coat at home - getting an oven that large is not an option though.
    Five or six smaller pieces like peg brackets, side stand and a hub I think came to NOK6-800 all in back then , 6-7 years ago (AUD100-130)
  7. TobyG

Oddometer:
    I almost figured this was gonna be the case. Small-ish german company, rather widespread in restauration of vintage vehicles.

A cheapo suction feed spray gun, fan driven, Einhell TC-SY 400 P.
    Laying down the thinnest of layers is a little tricky with this (but not impossible),
    if you can live with that, it saves a lot of money in rattle cans. E.g. the paint I use is either 400ml in a rattle can for 19,45€ (48,63 per liter) or 750ml for a spray gun priced at 15,95€ (21,27€ per liter).
    Now I expect to use a total of three 750ml containers for the bike (there is a lot of overspray with such small parts),
    for the sake of simplicity, let's say two liters. 43€ vs. 97€, that alone pays for the spray gun.
    Nevermind that I used a couple more containers on the truck.

I do have one rattle can of the stuff, but that's only for touch-ups, since cleaning the spray gun is a messy chore.

When I peeled the original, at that time 14 years old, film off, the paint underneath was in perfect condition. Still bright silver, not even UV damage.

Yep, that's the colour of the cast aluminium. Depends on the lighting though. That is the only reason I had it blasted anyways, it was painted silver before.
    You play golf? Recalling *that* :fpalm photo I am surprised you haven't been banned by all golf clubs for a similar action :lol3

Not even powder worked for me in long term. There was several chips on the kickstand and the "hook" had the paint worn off by the boot.
    Can't say I am easy on material.

[​IMG]

Agree. IMHO, so cheap, it isn't worth investing in a setup unless you do it wayyyy often.
    I paid around 80€ for blasting and coating of the rear frame, engine subframe, footpegs&brackets, kickstand, shift and brake lever before.
  8. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    That soda blasting effort made me laugh, reminds me when I decided to sand artex from the ceilings in my house what a mess
    [​IMG]

@Gravel Seeker you can get the Brantho Korrux 3in1 paint on Fleebay

I have a sandblasting cabinet myself cheap one off amazon and a Metabo Mega500 240Volt equivelant I mainly use it to clean rust off small components with very fine grit sand blasting medium but its suction is very poor so takes long to blast something and a few months ago I dropped a luggage rack on mine so the window got damaged tried to replace it and failed miserably

Been looking at this to add some more coverage in the wear areas but not sure if it is the right stuff I am looking for Nylon tape that I can stick to those area's same as the beeemer uses
    Overland solutions have a similar Nylonn based tapes on their
  9. TobyG

Oddometer:
    He should know all too well that he just needs to say the word for me to send him some at cost. Or maybe he didn't.

Uhhh...that "tape" you linked, isn't that just a thin layer of adhesive on a liner?
    Think double sided tape, but without the tape.

Other than that, I am almost certain BMW also uses a Polyurethane protective film,
    just going by feel and comparing the PU film I have to what's on my scrapped frame.
    Just put some on the swingarm and it's so workable, even tight corners came out very good.

As for the sandblasting cabin, see if you can find a couple of the barcode reader windows from supermarket tills.
    Diamond coated, aka very abrasion resistant and - if you can find them - not terribly expensive. But small, so you might need a couple to replace your window.
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  10. Gedrog

Oddometer:
  11. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Sure looks like it. Seems pretty similar to the 8591 that I got, but tailored towards the aeronautic industry rather than a bog standard paint protection film.
  12. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Looking at the link I noticed this one. I reckon anyone willing to send out samples have a good product.
  13. TobyG

Oddometer:
    The engine has seen daylight today.
    Brought it out of the basement, along with the frame.

Time to start the puzzle.

In other news, the new footpeg brackets are welded,
    the exact position of the footpegs and the kickstand are to be determined when the bike is assembled.
    Went a little overboard, had the parts cut from 6mm stainless. Still ended up saving 1/3rd of the weight of the Overland Solutions brackets.
    Gedrog, Gravel Seeker and Pezz_gs like this.
  14. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Didn't get a whole lot done, since a couple time consuming details had to be taken care of, still.
    Some part cleaning, greasing, reading up torque specs, looking for that one part I just had in my hand etc.

But at least it's rolling and the engine, engine covers got new seals and are now installed.

Time to write a shopping list, mostly for various fasteners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On second thought, I'll blame the cat for not getting shit done today:

[​IMG]
  15. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Ah sooo I wont be the only one with an G650 cloootch cover nice impeller more details
  16. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Got a couple more parts installed...

-engine subframe
    -radiators, rad hoses, guards, fans etc.
    -engine case covers
    -horn
    -battery tray
    -voltage regulator
    -various small brackets
    -brakes got a fresh service, were re-installed and bled

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My new footpeg brackets and kickstand bracket got welded and are now installed.
    Lasercut from 6mm stainless - maybe a little overkill of the brake lever side, at least -
    and TIG welded. Yeah, I ran the two top welds on the right side bracket a little hot - I'm not a professional after all and I reckon this is one of the ways it shows.
    Footpegs sit very low and a little further back now, obviously I put them were they'd fit me best,
    being 6'4", that meant looooow.
    Either way, no part of the brackets is protruding below the frame, so all is well there.

They'll be painted black, of course.
    And before someone goes "6mm? What are you, stupid? Weren't you sorta trying to shed weight?":
    They are about 1/3rd lighter than the Overland Solutions brackets that were on there before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear brake line routing is a little unusual, instead of the stock brake pipe and hose,
    it's just one hose, routed above the swingarm. It can only flex on the left between frame and swingarm. On the right it'll also be routed through a guide I welded to the rear frame, to keep it out of the chains' way.

[​IMG]

With the motor properly installed and the brakes done,
    I might just get it mostly assembled tomorrow, if I get an early start and not too many things go wrong?

In the meantime I also received a neat parcel, a set of as-new camshafts.
    Now I wouldn't mention it if they were just a set of stock cams...
    At this point however, I don't even know if they'll work with stock piston/valvetrain.
    They got a wee bit more lift, after all.

Doesn't really matter either way, since I just want a running bike soon,
    so the cams will go right on the shelf for the time being.

You knew that I wasn't gonna skip the G650, with that much prep into this bike, c'mon :D
    I already had the inner one for a while, just had to purchase an outer cover and machine the starter adapter.

The waterpump impeller was just a result of me having the CNC.
    Machined it just because I could. Pressfit to stock waterpump shaft.
    I won't claim that any engineering went into the design, just looked at some waterpumps and basically copied the visual appearance.

We shall see if it works and how it holds up.
    Antti, Gravel Seeker, Helibee and 2 others like this.
  17. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Didn't think so this is a really nice touch the blue Oryx did you machine those plugs as well
    What paint did you use on the covers I didn't want to be the first to ask the question but why did you not also do the Oil filter cover
    Engine vould have done with a nice clean before slapping it in there love the Ducati master
    [​IMG]
    Overkill and possibly at risk of damage but I do like these idea's
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    When I was still uhmming and Aahing about using the full KTM 950 Brake system, I found a pair Brembo RCS brake and Clutch with the exact same reservoir on Fleebay the guy wanted £500 for both
    After looking into it the reservoir per side alone is about £300 wish I had the cash at the time, he built them but he had a selected the wrong size master
    [​IMG]
  18. TobyG

Oddometer:
    It ain't blue - it's turquoise, same shade as the front side plastics :D

Yep, made those as well. Wanted to keep with the theme of using Torx everywhere I can and always felt the plastic plugs looked cheap.

Same as everywhere else, Brantho 3in1.
    Didn't really cross my mind to paint the oil filter cover as well. After all, I only had the other covers blasted and painted them since removing the BMW logo and engraving the Oryx logo
    left me with blank spots.

As for cleaning the engine, shhhh, don't look, don't tell :lol3
    Not gonna lie, some parts I only cleaned now before putting the on for the final assembly.
    The engine might still get a wipe down, but it'll be dirty again in a hurry anyways.

Not a Ducati master, but one from a BMW F800R.
    Note: Does not usually fit straight away, the rod connecting it to the pedal is too short and just re-using the old one isn't gonna do, since the master is different internally.
    Works for me since I'll be lowering the brake pedal, which coincidentally will allow me to use the rod that came with it.

You might wanna look at the new-ish KTM rear masters, Brembo units with everything integrated.
  19. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Oh hell I should be colour specific Yeah I saw those Brembo masters
    So many to choose from
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Antti likes this.
  20. TobyG

Oddometer:
    A week ago it was time to get on with wrapping the wiring loom.
    Turns out it takes way longer than it should and is rather boring work as well.

Anyways, not something one does everyday, so I can't complain that much.

1.9kg with all relays, fuses etc., but without the ECU. As pictured.
    Not sure what it weighs stock (non-ABS single spark) with all those things on it, but certainly a bit more than that,
    considering just how many wires I shortened or fully removed.

[​IMG]

Somehow I got it all stuffed somewhat neatly into the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's where I left off,
    since I was preeeetty darn busy last week :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yokesman, tkach, JagLite and 3 others like this.