F650GS Oryx re-vival. Faster, better, stronger.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by TobyG, Aug 20, 2017.

1. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    No final photos or a recap of the past weeks as of yet,
    but I got the final weigh-in results.

158.5kg wet, but without fuel.
    Add to that the luggage rack at 3.4kg, the aux tank at 1.25kg and my toolkit/assorted spares/first aid kit at 3kg and we are at 166.15kg travel-ready without fuel and luggage.

Recall, the target was below 200kg with fuel and luggage, looks like I'm good there.
    16L of fuel is 12 kg, so I am left with ~22kg for luggage. More than enough for me.

Pretty happy with those numbers. I wouldn't have been surprised had the scale shown another 5 to 10kg.

Anyone happen to know the (real) curb weight of a non-ABS 650GS with or without fuel?
  2. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    177 dry/ 193kg wet

I think mine is around 185ish but not much original stuff left on it...but I use a giant loop so no racks, and bladders for fuel so I drag back a little there.

158.5 + 12= 170.5 is pretty impressive :clap
    TobyG likes this.
  3. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    193kg is the spec weight, but has anyone checked that number with a new bike?.

Lets all (the two or three of us who'll bother) weigh ours with
    1. Full tank and tools as one would leave home for a day trip. No camping gear or racks.
    2. Full tank, racks and tools, but without luggage as that will vary from trip to trip and day to day as consumables are being used.
    3. Estimated weight for 2 week trip with everything.
    4. Estimated weight for 6 month trip with everything, including extra fuel and max range (normally same luggage as #3, but with more fuel for remote bush).

This project is not time sensitive, but 'd be nice to have some comparable numbers before next summer.
  4. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    Mine was pretty close... but unless you use a calibrated scale it means little. A kilo each way :dunnoon bathroom scales :hmmmmm

I’m going to weigh mine next Southern Hemisphere winter (if I’m ready :wink:) it will be on the crane at work :augie:evil
    Gear I could weigh now... I just don’t want to get myself near scales :lol3
  5. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Just read in another thread very recently that the 193 number is very optimistic and the real wet weight is closer to 210kg.
    I bought a 200kg game scale which I plan on hanging from the garage rafters. Will trim the bike until the scale is useful if I have to.... :lol3
    Did place it on a very accurate floor pallet scale at work a few years ago and it was ca 190kg from memory, but it's been rebuilt a few times since then.
  6. Scottishbiker

Scottishbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Epic :)
  7. TobyG

Oddometer:
    All right, where were we?

To cut a long story short, I didn't have a shop space for about half a year and spent the past 3 months or so setting up the new shop and sorting through all the crap that accumulated over the years, whilst I was moving in.

Anyways, that is mostly taken care of now and I want to go on a ride to Greece in like 5 weeks.

Now you might wonder, where's the problem? All you needed to do was finish the rear plastics, that's it, no?

Weeeeell, no.
    A few problems there, as I see it.
    1. The engine (still is the one from my accident back in 2015) developed a knock, sounds like the crank bearings.
    Not that big a deal, I'll swap in my spare engine, for now.
    2. The wiring loom wrap didn't hold up, it's peeling.
    3. Made one small mistake in the wiring of the kickstand switch. Not a big deal, since I have to re-wrap the loom either way.
    4. The oil tank is leaking. Just a tiny bit, no drops visible, just a film of oil, but still. Ditched it, rather than trying to fix that cast aluminium POS.
    5. Still looking to put the Scotts triple clamps and steering damper on, but I don't believe that'll happen prior to this years ride.

Now here's the deal, since I will make a new oil tank, I decided to go a little further again.
    I will move the oil tank behind the engine, where the battery and voltage regulator currently reside.
    The battery does get replaced with a JMT HJTZ7S-FP, the same model a friend on mine has been using in his F650GS for 2 or 3 years now.
    The regulator will be moved to the right side of the engine.
    I'll ditch the pod filter and build a proper airbox again, with the oil tank out of the way now.

The battery got delivered first, insanely tiny and lightweight, 60% smaller in volume than the stock battery and only 600g light!

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I'd ordered all the materials for the oil tank and airbox, parts from the lasercutting place came in, too. Air filter cage, relocation bracket for the voltage regulator,
    that kinda stuff.

Where to start? Easy, the airbox. Once the base of the airbox is done, I can determine where exactly the battery will go and that in return will dictate the size of the oil tank.

Mind you, I am cheating here a little, I decided to just use a flat carbon plate as a base, instead of utilizing every nook and cranny for more volume.
    This way making the plug is far simpler. Or so I do tell myself, may just be lazy? Either way, composites can be modified later, if need be.

Started with this

[​IMG]

Ended up with that

[​IMG]

That part of the (yet to be welded) air filter cage in place to check whether I got the clearance right. Which I did, one thing to check off of the list.
    Still trying to figure out the ideal spot for the battery. Likely right where it is in the photo, but horizontal.

A bit of empty space left underneath

[​IMG]
    tkach, Roadracer_Al, Pezz_gs and 7 others like this.
  8. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    any updates? :D
  9. TobyG

Oddometer:

Mike - I am still out (test) riding. Ask again in 3 or 4 weeks.

Few things though, my diagnostic plug has no ground connection anymore for some mysterious reason,
    due to the pressure to get the bike ready I effed up one fitting on the oil tank and instead of properly fixing it I though "ah, it'll be alright!", of course it is leaking.
    Already ordered a new fitting, so I'll replace that when I'm back home.

Third an final thing - the radiators. Unfortunately, in particularly demanding sections (think uphill, loose rocks) the cooling circuit is still not satisfying me, in fact, beyond being very happy about having created and utilized space for radiator crash bars, I am a little disappointed.

I think what I'll do is to add a larger radiator on the left side, too, and also go all in with adding a third fan as well as having the option to manually switch at least one (maybe two) fans and only having two (or just one) switched through the BMS.

In retrospect, the only reason I did not do this to begin with was that that'll mean modifying the reservoirs on each end of the radiator, which I couldn't do back then since I did not have an AC Tig Welder.

Apart from those main three problems, I'm very happy with the bikes performance though. So far I only went through two rear turn signals (vibrated to death), one waterpump (major seal failure, lost almost half a liter per hour) and one failed crimp connection on the ground for the radiator fans.

Not gonna mention the horrendous amount of flat tires.
    ferals5 and tkach like this.
  10. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    tell me about your battery, the jmt HJTZ7S-FP right? it's 4ah but the oem is 12 or is it different with lithium?
  11. TobyG

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the one.
    Lithium batteries don't need to have as large a capacity as lead acid batteries and still provide enough juice for starting.
    Just don't do as I did and leave the ignition on for an hour or so to charge your GPS/phone have a reason to try out your new fancy jumper cables.

Check Wayne's website, IIRC he's got some info on the what and why regarding lithium batteries on there.
    tkach likes this.
  12. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Happy to report my heavy and ugly Biltema gel battery has enough juice to charge phone when engine is not running and start my bike the following day as well and Toby's :ear:imaposer
    Those jumper cables came in handy :super Who knew we'd actually need them :thumb
  13. tkach

tkach Long timer

Oddometer:
    In case that happens i carry a noco gb40 battery booster to jump the bike/car)
    Roadracer_Al likes this.