F650GS twin aftermarket windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by dsavage, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dsavage

dsavage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a Cee Bailey sport windshield (12 inches high and wide). It looks great and provides much better wind protection than the stock shield but above 80mph my bike feels unstable with the resulting headshake. Talking to the BMW dealer about this, he suggested I put the stock shield back on and road test it. The headshake stopped and was smooth above 100mph.

I would like to buy a different windshield with better wind protection than the stock shield. Evidently the Cee Bailey is not designed for the upper range of the speedometer. Any recommendations?

Any experience with the stock 800GS shield on the 650? Really don't want to spend the money on trial and error. Thanks for the help.
  2. BMWHillbilly

BMWHillbilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the 16" Euro CB and it is fine for upper limits on the speedo. I buzzed up to 110mph and at that point i felt i needed to tuck. I was just doing that for fun. I routinely go 75 - 80 and have no issues. If your interested I have a stock F800GS windshield i am going to sell but haven't advertised it yet. 75.00 + shipping from 72015.
  3. dsavage

dsavage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pm'd you
  4. BMWHillbilly

BMWHillbilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pm'd back! :D
  5. Aether

Aether Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I have a custom 20" version of the CB Euro and no issues.... Early on, I thought I was having some noise/turbulence off of the shield until I realized that it was coming in from the top off my Touratech handguards and needed to adjust them.
  6. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Give Madstad a call. This is the prototype shield and adjustable mount.

[​IMG]
  7. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Instead of the stock 800GS shield, consider the "touring windshield" from BMW, pictured below. Part numbers are 71607701957 (shield) and 71607683059 (mount).

Not cheap (around $ 470 shield+mount), but works really well, with good wind protection and no headshake, even above 100 mph. It also looks great IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    How much extra for the dog and the girl? :wink:

Ok seriously ....
    I just got a note from MadStad, he says he should be in production in about 2 weeks or so. It will come in an 18" and a 20" model smoke or clear.

I think the pic. above is the 20" version. He thinks the 18" model given its adjustability should work for all but the tallest folks.

He did not specify price but I would guess in line with others he sells which would be @ ~$300...?

He sells brackets for ~$100 and brackets+shield for ~$200 for the DIY group... It would not be too hard to mount to the stock windscreen, maybe painted black...

Thoughts?
    Jim
  9. mhutch2

mhutch2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been testing the MadStad for Mark and agree the adjustibility makes it just about ideal for all sized riders. The materials he uses are top notch and the metal "inner" shield really provides stability to the point I haven't experienced any vibration of the "outer" windshield. I tried many windshields, including the stock, Ztechnik, and Givi and none eliminated turbulence for me - except the MadStad. I highly recommend it.
  10. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lev-wife is very happy with the Aeroflow on her 650GS. I was impressed by the large quiet pocket it provides and could ride with my visor open at 80 mph.
    Screen and bike are rock steady at all speeds -- GPS shows that someone took it up to 113 mph with no problems reported.

here's a front view at the shop

[​IMG]

and a side view on the coast

[​IMG]
  11. dsavage

dsavage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help. I bought the 800GS shield from BMWHillibilly. I hope this gives me what I'm looking for and if it does, I have a Cee Bailey sport shield for sale and a stock 650 shield for sale. Don't know what they are worth and I'll post them in the flea market after I road test the 800. If that doesn't work then I'll try another one of the suggestions on this thread.
  12. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I just got a note from Wunderlich USA they have their adjustable windscreen in stock now - $300

It looks well done - adjustment range is from ~330mm (13”) to ~450mm (17-1/2”)

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8110157&Category_Code=F800GS-X

In contrast with the MadStad the lean angle of the Wunderlich is not adjustable, and the bottom section is tinted plexiglass vs. metal on the MadStad.

I don't have the adjustment range for the MadStad ... Llamapacker ... do you have these measurements by chance?

Thanks,
    Jim
  13. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    $125.

16" tall. Light smoke.

[​IMG]
  14. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    I'd like to order this screen and the grip guards but apparently AeroFlow can't answer one of multiple emails I sent to them asking them questions about it.

Why do they put
    on their website if they don't bother to answer questions?:ddog
    All I am asking is "how do I order the clear hand guards that are pictured" since I don't see a separate listing for them. Been a week since my first email and I have sent a second email out since then...no response. They are in the Internet mail order business...it'd be nice if they wrote me back...
  15. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    click on the "Contact Us" button on the page you linked, and it will list a phone number: 714-777-4844

I spoke with Christine at Aeroflow this AM, and she said they've had some computer problems the past week but usually respond to email in 1-2 days.
    Paige, the designer/owner, is usually busy in the shop and/or bike testing, but Christine can connect you or arrange to have him call if you have questions.
    Probably best to discuss things over the phone in any case.

We've been very impressed with Aeroflow's customer service over the phone and during visits to the shop.
    We're local and Paige let Mrs levity test three screen sizes on her 650 and let me ride his bike with a taller screen.
    We also happen to think that the F650GS screen is a great product. :thumb :thumb

:ricky
  16. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    I SEE the phone numbers. I appreciate your feedback too.

BUT... If they are not good with email they should not list an email.
  17. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Wunderlich Ergo with home made spoiler (to cut the noice even more at high speed)
    It makes the job :wink:
    Front pic:
    [​IMG]
    Back pic:
    [​IMG]
  18. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe their answer is filtered by your spamfilter? For me they responded with a day or two delay, but they always responded.
  19. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    No it was not caught. But I always check my spam in those situations to give people the benefit of the doubt. There was no response until I mentioned something on this thread....what's funny is they did get back to me after a member on here mentioned that their computers were down or something, maybe they read this forum. If they do, I think its smart on their part.

They told me the items were not available for purchase but they would put me on their waiting list. Then this week they emailed me again to tell me that the items were now available for purchase....

:clap
  20. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    As much as I'd like the Desierto 3 ... the price is just outta reach at the moment ...

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the new adjustable screens from Wunderlich and/or Madstad yet on an F800GS or F658GS?