1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

F650GS Twin: looking for more power

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Littlejohn71, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Littlejohn71

Littlejohn71 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got a BMW F650GS. It has an 800cc motor in it. Anyone know what BMW did to it to make it a 650cc and how I can bump it back to the 800cc that it is.

Cheers

LJ
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Err, what makes you think its an 800cc motor? As far as I know (and I'm NOT an expert on F650's) aprillia originally designed and made the motor for BMW and it was largely the same as in the Pego's of the time, except for a different head. The pego's were also 650cc. Anyhow, an 800cc F650 would be pretty cool, but I've not seen one before (assuming you aren't talking about the new twin cylinder bike).
  3. Yad

Yad yet another dave

Oddometer:
    The new F650's are 800cc, BMW did not make it a 650. The 650 in the name is just to confuse people. Did you not receive any information about the bike before you bought it? Sorry, no offense intended but other than the VERY poor choice in the name, BMW isn't keeping the engine differences a secret. The new F650 with an 800 cc engine is the "budget" version - the engine is "detuned" with a milder cam. This lowers the horsepower but apparently was intended to make it easier to ride - smoother power delivery and torque curve. And as a plus, it gets better mileage. I haven't seen the dyno chart so I don't know how different this is from the F800's, but it's definitely be a stronger engine than the "actual" 650 (the older one) so you could enjoy it from that perspective.

Unfortunately there is not a cheap way to replace a camshaft; you also have to modify the timing and fuel delivery, and on a new bike there goes your warranty anyway. I'd say enjoy it for what it is, but if the power being down is really a problem, you should consider trading up to the F800GS.

Good luck, I think you got a nice bike there (esp. the blue one). I'd keep it!!

dave
  4. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said.

Might as well post a bitchin picture of a BMW 800 dirt tracker.

[​IMG]
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've got about 70hp in that 800 ccc twin and you want more? You need a different bike.

The F650GS Twin is available with a different throttle body for the Euro market so it only makes about 35hp to appeal to beginners and comply with the graduated licensing system they have in Europe.

F650GS Twin thread go to Beasts where this one's been moved from Thumpers.
  7. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    Speaking of graduated licensing, why do US insurance companies go by cc and not hp?
  8. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The only advantage the regular 800 engine has is beyond 6000 RPM and, in fact, the 650GS is stronger below about 5500 RPM. If you're spending a lot of time there, you'd have to switch to the 800GS to get that or completely redo the engine.
  9. dungbeatle

dungbeatle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife rides a new f650gs, can pull front up in three gears, run all day at 120km/hr with enough stuff to camp for a week.
    Need more power, buy bigger bike.
  10. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    They didn't 'detune' the 650, it's just a name. They 'tuned-up' the 800.
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why did you not buy the 800? If you want more power buy a different bike.
  12. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are missing the point about buying the bigger bike, he owns the 650 twin which really is the 800 twin in a different tune = less power, he wants to know what is the difference between the two engines and what parts swaps could be made to beathe some 800 twin power in it.
  13. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    Related components being Ingition switch, fuel cap, seat lock and BMSK and all peripheral CANBUS units. After all of that no gauranty it will be 100% functional.
  14. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not much you can do about the power but you can gear it down. Buy an F800GS front sprocket (16 tooth) and you will feel a difference in pull.
  15. mrmoto

mrmoto Just another inmate

Oddometer:
    Good luck on the electronics after you swap the mechanical components. try and get a BMW tech to reflash the BMS engine electronics computer with the 800 GS data. Ha!
  16. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't anyone else smell a troll post?

A newbie with one post to their name, and it brings up this topic?

C'mon folks.
  17. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call Ron Woods
  18. rocket25

rocket25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best bike you ever owned was the first one as a kid. You did not know anything about it and did not care, you just wanted to ride it. If it had funny things happing while riding, you thought it was cool. Just rember your youth. :rofl Enjoy the time you get to ride. You will have a stroke thinking about all of those things, that may not be that big of a deal.
    rjmorel likes this.