F650GS (twin) spoke wheels

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by k0diak, Jan 2, 2009.

1. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
  2. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    If it matters, all four [cast] wheels I had for my f4i (cbr600) were dented to some degree.

Two random thoughts:

1. Don't confuse specific hardware (like the notoriously soft BMW rims on the 800 and 650XC) with the general rule of thumb.

2. If you haven't damaged cast wheels on the terrain you ride, it's really a non-issue, isn't it?
  3. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    you are quite correct on both counts thou it would be nice to see some sort of test on this issue just to know how much difference there is.
  4. kd5pff

kd5pff beemer

Oddometer:
    So just so we are clear, no one has found a spoke rim for the 650? I don't mind tubes. Are the rims from the 800 compatible?

I would like to get a set of spoke rims for some really aggressive knobbies, then Ill keep my stock cast rims just for the street. Then I can switch them depending on the trip I have planed.

Anyone doing this on these bikes?

:ear
  5. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :norton I have tried real hard to bend the wheels on my F650GS twin, no luck yet. I have tried on other bikes with some success.:rofl
  6. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump.

Any update folks? :ear
  7. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    has anyone checked into the rims like on the new yamaha 1200 adv bike? my beta has a spoked tubeless rear that is simular?
  8. Flax

Flax n00b

Oddometer:
    Look at TUbliss. I just got the 21" TUbliss for my front rim on the KLR. Jeff said that it will be March before he expects to have a TUbliss system for the rear 17".
    www.TUbliss.com
    More later on how it works for me. Also, check out the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News for a write-up about TUbliss.
    Mark.
  9. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you talking cast rims in general or specifically the BMW F650GS (twin) cast rims?

If generally then I have personally dented the front rim of a Suzuki GSX750F (Katana in the US) and the front rim of a Suzuki GSX1100G, both happened when I hit a pothole in a poor quality tar road. The bike dropped into the pothole partway and the rims impacted the far (almost vertical) edge of the pothole. Some of the rural roads in remote Australia are of poor quality. Perhaps that says more about Suzuki rims than cast rims in general but it's a contributing factor in my search for an adventure style bike.
  10. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Actually there is a report on this forum of damaged F658 rims, and I had a 1st hand report from a bloke who went with Compass Expeditions to South America and they had three F658 bikes with blown rims, 2 rideable and 1 a trailer job.

Woody should be very close to shipping our wheels.
  11. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding along a dirt road just a few decades ago on Yamaha's finest that was fitted with probably the 1st factory aluminium one piece wheels. It was night near Borden West Australia when I hit something with the front wheel (a Rock?) It split the rim open though the tube held (pre tubless tyres). Cost a week or two's wages for the part number :huh and a couple of dollars for the wheel. I hope to put together an adventurish sidecar outfit and steel rims are the aim on heavy wire spokes. I use a hammer for a living so if gets bent its an easy fix.
    Brstar
    :norton:norton:norton
  12. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    I heard a rumour somebody has now completed the swap on both front and rear, but haven't found the thread...

Something like a G650GS front wheel (direct bolt-on? or machining required?) and F800GS rear (stock hub with custom lacing & rim...?) is what I heard.

If you can fill in the details, well... :bow
  13. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It's the "F800 Rear Wheel on a 650twin?" thread and it's my bike. let me know if you have any questions that aren't answered on the thread. and.... yes its a f650GS funduro front (same as g650gs) and it's a direct bolt on with existing spacers. just flip the the wheel and disc. the rear was put together by Woody with a stock 800 rear hub (with new bearings and painted grey to match the front) laced to an excel rim... but a stock 800 wheel should work fine, although you'd get a crap rim and bearings :). Woody also does 800 rears now from scratch.

cheers,
    Mark

[​IMG]
    LazyR likes this.
  14. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark, you're a great guinea pig! I'll read your thread carefully and bug you with questions if I have any.

Was that your bike parked behind Pacific Yam./BMW service dept. a week or two ago? I was drooling over a very similar Desierto equipped machine - Sheldon actually dragged me outside to look at it...

Peter
  15. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've been there a couple of times in the last month but not for service since June. My bikes has seen a lot of transformation in the last month with the wheels and new side panels. Although I've had the 798 Decals on the side for quite a while now.
  16. welovemotogeo

welovemotogeo World Traveller

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd chime in. We stopped by Woody's on the way home from a 6 week trip around the western US and had wheels installed on my wifes F650GS. Firstly, Woody's Wheel Works is a great shop with great bunch of folks that work there. Getting the wheels ordered was easy, and they offered us a fair trade-in on the OEM cast rims that made the price totally reasonable - not sure if they always do that. Our setup uses excel rims, Superlaced to a 650GS hub on the front and a modified KTM hub on the rear. And it's tubeless :) During the install they explained every aspect of the wheels, the shop and their process.

The wheels are rockin! They're a work of art. I got to take Nita's bike for a spin in the dirt and the difference was remarkable. I honestly didn't think I'd feel that much of a difference but the bike felt noticeably more planted. On the highways the ride was also super-stable. I can't recommend them enough.

The full story is here:
    http://www.welovemotogeo.com/archives/1294

The full gallery is here:
    http://www.welovemotogeo.com/wus-gallery?pg=gallery36

Here are some pics showing the set-up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap
  17. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    I had mine done by Woodie's also, definitely top notch:1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza

Oddometer:
    I spoke with woody recently about wheels for a 650 I am purchasing. I believe he said he was using wheels from an aprilia caponord for the 650. That would give tubeless, cross-laced, 19/17. Sounds good, my brothers' capos have pretty wheels
  19. logwart

logwart pining for the pines

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in replacing the cast rims with spoke rims. Can the tire pressure sensor be made to function with aftermarket spoke wheels?

What kind of faring and top rack box are you using, Angryican, and how pleased have you been with their performance? Cheers!
  20. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woody's spoke wheels for the F650GS Twin look great! Any words on pricing for a set of such wheels?