F700 16T sprocket = Gear indicator failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MrMac, Apr 3, 2018.

1. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    I doubt it cause my 2014 f800 GSA does it with stock gearing on it.
    I just don't worry about it cause it has no impact on how the bike runs.
    I still stand by my thinking that it has nothing to do with the gearing change.
    MrMac likes this.
  2. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I agree with your statement. I changed my front sprocket multiple time on my 2017 F800GSA(15,16 and17T) with no affect on gear indicator.

Bottom line, @MrMac put the original sprocket size back on and let BMW find the problem.
  3. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure everyone is sitting around on pins and needles just waiting for a resolution on this! Well, here it is: Replacing the 16t sprocket with a stock 17t fixed the problem. At least for now..:deal

Here is the diagnostic report:

[​IMG]

Yea, I'm more than a little pissed at this. Not only are we back to stock gearing, I'm out a few $$ because the work was not under warranty. I'm gonna have a little chat with BMW customer service; not that it'll do any good, but I really want to know why my particular model has this problem since (so far) I've not seen this anywhere else! Why isn't this documented? And why is there not a program 'fix' that could be applied to allow such a common modification? Why the hell does it matter if the speed sensor and gear sensor are not in sync!! :baldy
    sieg likes this.
  4. AndyBoundy

AndyBoundy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This explains my issue (neutral indicator intermittent failure). Worth saying, I don’t have a gear indicator on my 17 700 as it’s the “cheaper” one with no gizmos. I’ve decided that I don’t care - the far superior 16T gearing is worth the hassle of not knowing if you’re in neutral.
    morfic and MrMac like this.
  5. MrMac

Oddometer:
    Wife and I are going for a ride tomorrow so she can decide if she prefers the better gearing or having a gear indicator! Just to note, her last bike was a '75 Suzuki 185 Enduro! Yes, it has been that long since she last had her own bike.. Not sure if it even had a neutral light or not, so she considers the indicator quite a luxury! We picked up this bike in mid-winter and I maybe took it out once or twice before swapping sprockets. I don't think I ever made it into 6th gear until after the swap.
  6. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure the neutral indicator works in the same way. Most bikes have this and the fact that wheel speed is not part of the calculation of a neutral indication might suggest it’s something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AndyBoundy likes this.
  7. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regardless of the gear indicator, I see that the bike uses the same part (potentiometer with wire, 23 00 7 711 960) to detect what gear is selected on the trans selector shaft. So it is very likely that the calculation routines in the ECU remain identical.
    sieg likes this.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ true that
  9. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes agree but the issue isn’t caused by the change in sprocket which was the original problem of the post so the person with the neutral issue this is not caused by your sprocket change but is caused by the potentiometer

TRJeff likes this.
  10. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At what speeds in 6th does the gear indicator vanish?
    Been riding with 16/42 for a while now and enjoy it, haven't done weekend trips, so limited time in 6th, most miles are 1st to 4th at city speeds with limited 5th, 6th was just a one time use and I have never seen the indicator go out, so I'd like to know what speed i might have to reach to try to replicate this.
    I've shifted into 6th after reading this just to check but suspect the speed wasn't in the "this seems wrong range" for the ECU as it never went away, I'll recheck once I know what speed to try.

As I don't need the indicator (although I do have it in sight whenever I check current fuel consumption) I would rather give up the indicator than give up 16/42, F700GS is an even better bike at that final drive and the 5 school zones on way to work are also much easier to deal with since.

This is on a 2017 F700GS (10/2016 build)

11. MrMac

Oddometer:
    morfic, thanks for the response.. I was able to duplicate the problem running in 6th somewhere around 60-65mph. It doesn't happen right away, but usually within 5 minutes, no more than 10. Rear tire is somewhat worn, so that may have some added effect as well.

I'm not sure of the build date. I purchased the bike used from an inmate here, who originally bought it in October, 2016. The changes for the '17my are EU4 compliance, new exhaust pipe, and I believe the first year for throttle-by-wire, which may explain why earlier models don't have this issue.. I'd really be interested in the results if you get a chance to to test yours out a bit more!! I haven't called BMW customer service yet, but hope to do so in a day or two. Mainly, I'd just like an explanation and let them know how I feel about it!
  12. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't see your reply come through, going to take highway home today to test.

13. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No glitching indicator, 60, fine, 65, fine, 80 and everything in between, fine.

And because I took highway home I actually saw another white and red F700GS on Loop 1604, fun seeing them in the wild.

MrMac likes this.
  14. MrMac

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This will be helpful. .
  15. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
  16. MrMac

Oddometer:

Probably should know that, but I don't think so! Can't find any reference to it, and no buttons or menu options on the computer. Definitely does not have EAS. Original owner specifically ordered the bike with minimal electronics, so that makes sense. I just need to do a little more research on this one..
  17. RogerJ

RogerJ Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have a 16T on my 2014 BMW F700gs and I have zero issues with the gear indicator.
  18. clayf

clayf n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2017 F800, switched 17->16 and also have intermittent gear indicator problems. Sometimes when the indicator is blank, I have to clutch to start (it doesn't think it's in neutral).

I'm pretty much ignoring it, because I like the gearing, especially for 1st gear technical off-road. Also better in slow speed maneuvers.
    MrMac likes this.
  19. Galion

Galion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, any 16+ production year F700/800 owners that changed their sprockets with no gear indicator issues? I’d love to do this mod ...
  20. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mentioned before, 2017 F700GS, went from 17/42 to 16/42 and have zero indicator issues.