F700 16T sprocket = Gear indicator failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MrMac, Apr 3, 2018.

1. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A '16 model should be just fine. The change began with '17 and (apparently) not all. I've tried to get a definitive explanation from BMW as to why, with no luck. Customer service is no help and just tells me to go to the dealer, the dealer can only diagnose the problem but can't explain why. My guess is that if you have a '17 with ride modes (rain & road) it could be a problem, but who knows..
  2. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it helps, my 2017 F700GS is a 10/2016 Production model with the OBD connector diagnostic port. (Not sure when they started, adding just in case)

Maybe we can find the month this starts being issue on?

Edit: Missed your guess about ride modes, I have Road/Rain/Enduro and nope, that's not it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MrMac likes this.
  3. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. Hers only has 'rain' and 'road'..
  4. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's stock for the Throttle by wire models.

Enduro and Enduro Pro (for F800GS) are part of another package.
    I have center stand and heated grips, ESA, Vario mounts.

Ride modes were packaged with one of the others and I don't recall which.
    I'd take a guess at ESA, but since the package contents didn't always make sense to me that is probably wrong.

Would be interesting if Motoscan Android app (needs OBD Scan MX adapter, and if your diagnostic port is 10pin instead of OBD2, an adapter cable) could code Enduro for your wife, I know I can turn mine off with it.

5. Galion

Galion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is a fully spec 2017 (09/17) F700GS, enduro mode, heated grips, ESA, etc.
    I will install a Touratech 16t front sprocket tomorrow, I will report back, crossing fingers...
  6. clayf

clayf n00b

Oddometer:
    Mine is 2017 F800GSA & my indicator doesn't work most of the time now w/ 16T.

Lots of the time, it doesn't register neutral at first, so I have to clutch to start.
    MrMac likes this.
  7. Galion

Galion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did it, gear indicator works as it should, Love this mod.
    morfic likes this.
  8. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just for reference:

Dropped my front to 15T, no gear indicator issues.

Duitser and Tigershark48 like this.
  9. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    My Enduro Pro gets turned on by plugging in a chip that was provided in my purchase package. My 2017 F700 has all available optional equipment packages. The good news is I paid less than the MSRP on a base model. To date, I haven’t installed Enduro Pro.
    morfic likes this.
  10. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait, since when do they even have pro for the F7GS?
    What's the part number on that chip?

11. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    I’m reading this from bed at 11 pm. Let me check what I have tomorrow. But, trust me, it came with my 700.
    morfic likes this.
  12. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm tickled now, can only find about the plug (a bridge) for the boxers:

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-the-enduro-pro-plug-works.1176671/

All literature I ever read was saying Enduro is available for 700/800 and Enduro Pro is 800 only.
    Now I don't actually do much/any off road, but consider me intrigued regardless.

13. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    The chip was packaged in with my documentation with a letter stating the following:

“Ride Modes Pro is included with the Dynamic Package. Ride Modes Pro is activated by plugging the coded plug into the socket on the end of the wrapped cabled next to the fuel pump. Leave the plug in place, reinstall seat and turn on ignition key. Using the mode select button on the right hand side, scroll through the choices. There should now be a 4th choice called Enduro-Pro. Selecting it allows for drifting of the rear wheel.”

2CCA6ADB-0FF4-436E-955F-A9154AC247C2.jpeg

The dongle has the following identification molded into the side of it:
    972-930-003
    BMW 7 727 530.9
    morfic likes this.
  14. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to try that when I'm back, we are packing to leave town for Boston area, looking at 5 colleges in the next few days.
    Seeing how the plug is just a bridge it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks.

15. DP55

DP55

Oddometer:
    I have already done 30.000 km with my 2016 F700GS with 16/42 and I have no problems.
    Only the Euro 4 version of the F 700 GS (no throttle cable but "ride by wire") have problems when changing 17 -->16 sprocket.
    I think BMW as solved this software problem now.
    16 is better for off-road
    F 700 GS off-road.JPG
    MrMac likes this.
  16. DP55

DP55

Oddometer:
    With the red coding-plug on the Euro 4 bikes is plugged in you can activate an "Enduro Pro" mode as an "extra" Ride mode.
    This 4th mode is only ment when using off-road tyres.

On my "old" 2016 Euro 3 bike (see picture above) I have a old fashion throttle-cable and only 1 riding mode --> my wrist :D
    But it never stopped me in 45 years to go off-road. I use the Heidenau K60 Scout M+S tires with 1,7 bar tire pressure.
    MrMac likes this.
  17. DP55

DP55

Oddometer:
    Col du Parpaillon, France.

Parpaillon sud.JPG
    MrMac likes this.
  18. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The irony is that he was given the plug on a 700 when only the 800 has use for it.

I love manual lenses as many still have superior glass and I can appreciate their character, that doesn't mean I'm trying to take pictures of Vettel coming around a corner without tracking continuous AF, to give the ride modes some perspective.
    Also ride mode pro is to give more control back over the Enduro mode, without getting rid of ASC completely.
    The camera analogy to ride modes can be spun farther if we go to internal light meters even old manual film cams causing a stir with "that's not how you do it purists"

All that ride mode defending aside, offer me an automatic transmission and I'll switch over to your camp in a heartbeat ;P

19. DP55

DP55

Oddometer:
    The BMW Motorrad Marketing department is doing a good job. If the LED headlight from a R 1200 GS LC is broken
    there are 3 possibilities to repair: 1) the cooling fan (134 €) 2) the control unit ( 352 €) or 3) the Led headlight itself (1068 €).
    Before my F 700 GS, wich has H7 bulbs (15 €), al my former bikes were equipped from factory wit H4 bulbs (13 €),
    sold in every fuel station in case of brake-down.

Don't understand me wrong: my F 700 GS with fuel injection, 3 brake discs with ABS, heated grips and tubeless tires is the best bike I ever had.
    Before I had a R 80 G/S Paris/Dakar (150.000 km) wit 1 disc brake, 2 carburettors and 2 inner tubes. So I can compare and I have no nostalgia.
    On my bikes with 50 à 60 hp I didn't need ASC.

And for those who are affraid to do off-road with there full-option equipped GS bikes: BMW Motorrad Marketing has, besides of a TFT screen, a new option for sale.
    When you are on mountain tracks and you are starving from hunger because you forgot water and a packed lunch just call BMW :clap:

SOS.jpg
    morfic likes this.
  20. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    We (wife and I) are on a year+ trip through Mexico, Central and South America - she is on a 2017 F700GS w/ throttle by wire. With some nudging and much-appreciated guidance from inmate Morfic, I decided to change her front sprocket to 16T while we were in Guadalajara. It was a huge improvement - but ... immediately lost the gear indicator in 6th gear, just like others have reported. She has ridden with it for ~500 miles this way and has decided that as long as we have dirt roads in our future, she will keep the 16T, but she does miss having the ability to know she is in 1st or neutral when she downshifts to a stop light/sign. It does "re-synch" once she is down into first, but takes some time, and is not always reading before she needs to start up again. It isn't always easy to know you are in 1st gear when you are stopped, and this has led to a few stalls. Once we are back home and her riding is mostly tarmac, she thinks she wants the 17T and her gear indicator display back.

As far as I can tell from this thread, there is no "fix" (other than going back to OEM 17T) - if I'm missing something I'd love to be corrected.

And I am intrigued and confused by comments in this thread regarding Enduro mode for the F700 - I would LOVE to have that for her bike! I use it on my R1200GSA every time we hit dirt. I tell her to put it in Rain mode, fwiw. I saw Enduro mode listed as an option for the '17 F700 in some online BWM add copy, and showed it to my dealer, but he could not find it as an upgrade option when he looked on his computer (it is just SW as I understand). If I knew I could get it, I'd route through a city with a BMW dealer to get it done!