F700 16T sprocket = Gear indicator failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MrMac, Apr 3, 2018.

1. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can probably enable Enduro (F700GS doesn't have Enduro Pro where you can drag the rear, it just allows some more slip on rear before it kicks in) in Motoscan, I know I can disable mine using the Motoscan app.

Does everyone with the gear indication issue lack the Enduro mode?

I could put up my settings file from a Motoscan backup if someone wants to compare codings.
  2. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only 'rain' and 'road' for modes. My wife has no interest in off-road, but having the option would be nice. I'll keep an eye on this thread..

It would not surprise me if BMW has a software fix for this (sprocket change), after all, I would consider it a 'bug' and not a 'feature'! I've heard, but haven't confirmed, that this problem would occur in any of the new '19 GS chain-drive bikes and that a simple reset is available in the software. Curious if anyone with a 750/850 would know?
  3. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I wonder if ESA is a key variable in both the gear indicator issue and/or the availability of Enduro mode? My wife’s F700 has the factory low suspension option, which eliminates ESA as an option (cannot get it even if you want it). When my dealer looked at available options to see if Enduro was available, he did it based on the VIN, as I recall, and assuming so, the computer system would have known that the bike was incompatible with ESA. Just throwing it out there.
  4. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    My dealer said I have Enduro Pro on my 2017 F700, since it’s premiumed out with everything. I plugged in the activation dongle that came with it and no dice. More dialog with the dealership verified that, as Morfic pointed out, Enduro Pro is only available on the F800. BMW mistakenly provided the dongle with my bike. And, yes, I do have ESA.

The way the dongle works is you plug it in to the appropriate matching wiring harness socket under the seat. When you turn on the ignition key, Enduro Pro is displayed on the screen as a run mode option. Mine didn’t display that mode.

They probably didn’t put it on the F700, since it’s considered to be primarily a highway bike with minimal off road capability.
    MrMac likes this.
  5. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Interesting - you can probably sell that dongle on eBay - I’m sure there is some boxer rider who has lost theirs!

To verify: you do have Enduro mode, just not the Enduro Pro, correct? I assuming so, I’m more and more thinking that the ESA is the key piece to the puzzle for Enduro mode availability.
  6. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Correct.

My screen shows:

Rain
    Road
    -blank space-
    Enduro

And the bike has ESA
  7. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Tigershark48 could you measure resistance across the plug? Is it just a fancy wire or does it have a given resistance?
  8. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Your request sounds familiar. We talked about this before and you were speculating that the dongle is nothing more than a jumper for completing the wiring harness circuit. Probably the case since I just now measured 00.1 ohms across the two dongle pins.
    Reversed leads and same 00.1 reading.
    morfic likes this.
  9. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    So .. I finally had a chance while staying at a fellow inmates place in in Panajachel Guatemala to pull out the GS911 and try to reset the adaptation values for the gear sensor on my wife’s bike. The adaptation values correspond to a sensor voltage reading in each gear. The old vs new values were not very different so I did not have much hope, but it took another week before we found ourselves on a road that you could get into 6th gear long enough to try it out! (Symptom is gear indicator blanks out ~30 seconds to a minute after you reach sixth gear).

And .... no joy. Same issue. But we’re keeping the sprocket because the wife is happy with the response of the bike. We took an off road training course ~1.5 weeks ago from a BMW certified trainer out of Guatemala City (Jose Pinto, just a great teacher, a natural. He also is a BMW certified moto-tour operator) and he was all thumbs-up with the mod. But in my opinion, having this issue pop up because you do something as simple and common as changing sprocket ratio is a defect. And could clearly be addressed if BMW wanted, but is probably noise in their grand scheme. Main issue is loosing visual verification of 1st gear after coming to a stop. But sixth gear situations are far and few between where we are now and where we are headed . We can live with it.
    MrMac likes this.
  10. mrrz500

mrrz500 n00b

Oddometer:
    I changed front sprockets on two 2017 F800GSA's. Both have Enduro Pro and both lose gear indicator. Also both threw a unknown code of 1182 if I remember right. If you shut bike off while no gear indicator number is showing it will not start. You have to push start it. I guess it thinks it's in gear still even though you do have it in neutral.
    MrMac likes this.
  11. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I saw this pop up on the BMW MOA Facebook page a while back;

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...s-motorcycles-have-defective-gear-indicators/

Not sure I agree with the severity of the safety claims stated, but it clearly is (in my opinion) a design defect, and I’d be happy if this forces them to offer a fix, which I’m guessing is simply a software/firmware patch. My wife would really like to have that visual confirmation on which gear she is in after coming to a stop.

Jim
    MrMac likes this.
  12. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The lawsuit on grounds of safety over the gear indicator is frivolous.
  13. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I don’t disagree. But I’d still be happy if it forces them to offer a fix!
    morfic likes this.
  14. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would be welcome as it's a common change.

About that douche, not knowing how to shift brings up his issues, I know, I've seen a myriad of phantom neutrals and weirdedness until I shifted right for the bike, took me a couple weeks to get rid of old habits. No issues since.