f700gs fork leg measurement - please

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jiaRo, Feb 4, 2020.

1. jiaRo

jiaRo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I've bought an 2013 F700gs which I like a lot. The only issue I have is the low suspension (factory done). I've decided to change this to normal suspension after studying this forum (thank to all who shared their experiences).
    My list of parts would include:
    - rear suspension - I've got a second hand one for a reasonable price
    - front: damper pipe & necessary seals & oil

My problem is with the fork leg.On the RealOem.com site they are different for F700GS low suspension compared to normal suspension. From what I've read the threads, there should not be a difference, but I'd still like some confirmation.

Question: could somebody with an F700gs normal suspension measure the size of the front fork leg, just to have it confirmed: 43.5cm ~ 17.125"?
    I attach some pics how I've measured (from the bottom until the beginning of the seal).
    Thank you - if this is already somewhere answered - pls send me the link, couldn't find it.

Attached Files:

2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Can't help you with that measurement, but can tell you there is at least one more part you need:

Taller kickstand (or a clever welder to extend yours) ...
    The lowered bike has a shorter kickstand.
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Or take the opportunity to attach a larger footprint accessory, or even a hard rubber extender. I did this on my sportbike and it worked really well.

GL w the forks.
  4. jiaRo

jiaRo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. indeed, the sidestand is on the list as well. (and center stand I’ve already bought).

@heatmizr :good point with the footprint for sidestand. I’ll check the option.
  5. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    I measured 43.5 cm on my 2017 F700GS leg as well. Same as yours. My suspension is standard, not shortened.

I asked the salesman about the exact difference between standard and short suspension models when I bought mine. He said the lowered model simply had a shorter spring on the shock.

However, I copied this from my User’s Manual and it does show different travel in the front as well.

Front wheel
    Spring travel, 170 mm
    with lowered suspension, 140mm
    Rear wheel
    Spring travel, 170mm
    with lowered suspension, 135mm
  6. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    FWIW the F650GS had the same front suspension on both the standard height and the lowered version. Only the rear shock and side stand differed. Thus, if were me, I would just change the rear shock and side stand and try it out before deciding to change anything in the front suspension.

We have two F650GSs - one standard height and one lowered. I can discern no difference in the handling.

Having followed these bikes for a number of years now my distinct recollection is that while the F650GS has no difference in the front suspension the F700GS definitely does.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2017 700GS that came factory with standard suspension, my wife has a 2015 700GS that came factory with low suspension, neither have been modified. I walked out to the garage and looked at and measured both. The legs are identical in every way.
  8. jiaRo

jiaRo n00b

Oddometer:
    Great, thank you all for the replys!!
    Special thanks to @sieg, @Tigershark48 - for taking the time to measure the forks!!

The suspension travel is different due to a different damper pipe. My assumption is that this is shorter on the normal suspension, thus the spring is uncompressed more in the normal position. (https://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How They Work)

However, thanks to you, I clear up my doubts! I'll go on with buying the rest of accessories.
    Tigershark48 and sieg like this.
  9. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Makes sense that only the spring is shorter, therefore the travel is less by same amt.
  10. sieg

Oddometer:
    The damper pipe is shorter on the low suspension to keep the fork from extending as far.
    Spring appears to be the same.
    If the springs are truly the same then you could just put a spacer on the damping pipe to keep the spring from expanding as far. (I've had to do this on about every dirt bike my wife has ever owned, PVC pipe works nicely.) The actual overall difference in length of the standard suspension and low suspension is 1 & 1/4 inch BTW. I put both bikes on the center stands and measured that uncompressed.
  11. jiaRo

jiaRo n00b

Oddometer:
  12. sieg

Oddometer:
    I told you wrong I was thinking you want to go from standard to low. In that case you can shim/space the damping rod to shorten the fork. But you will need the longer dampers rods.
  13. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother is buying a standard suspension F700GS but he wants to lower it, if you want we can swap parts (fork, rear shocks, kickstands)
  14. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I haven't had mine apart for ages, do they have a spacer in the forks? If so, the spacer on the lowered version could be shorter, but I suspect your best option is to get in touch with the old Toyota driver.